Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junk yards

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudjunkie 82, Jan 1, 2005.

1. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have a local yard that always had a bunch of older chevy pick ups lying around. I stop there every once in a while to check for 1 ton stuff. Stopped by a couple of days ago and all the Trucks are gone:confused: the owner told me since scrap metal prices are so high they cleaned out the yard! That really blows because this guy had great prices, Like 75.00 for a 14 bolt full floater.........

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep thats how they are, all the real money is in the 90s-up stuff

yards are changing fast, even more so in the last year or two, not all of them though i still know of a couple that dont use computers, but any time now,...

any parts trucks you can snag onto then the better, cuz if not then the yards and shredder hauling ppl around town will get them and totally waste them, straight to shredder whole

good luck

3. timmay

timmay Registered Member

I wonder how many D60 fronts have been ran through the shredder because people didn't know any better?

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yep, or Turbo 400/ 205 combos

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

its a sin....

I too have seen several good trucks(and not just for parts!) go thru the crusher in the past six months since scrap prices shot up--I have seen dana 60's in 1 ton 4x4's get scrapped,and many of the trucks had the SM465/NP205 drivetrain,one junkyard had a pile of transfer cases as big as 2 school busses,they are all gone now--I dont think I'll be able to buy much for my old trucks around here anymore....unless I can get the trucks before they get hauled away for scrap....

Randy is right--the junkyards are changing fast--my friend ran one near me that had cars and trucks from 1920-1988--his boss died in 1996,right after he just built a new 150x52 ft quonset hut building to replace the one that collapsed earlier that year in a bad blizzard,and crushed in the roofs of several nice restored antique cars--the boss's wife sold all of his other businesses,he was a millionaire,had nursing homes,resturaunts,the junkyard was just his personal playground,more of a hobby than a business-
    -She kept my friend employed at the yard as long as she could,but a few years ago she decided to put the place on the market,crushed 650 cars,(at 10-12 bucks a ton then--now its 75-80 bucks,she would have gotten 40,000 + bucks for them now!)and two weeks ago she told him dec.31st was his last day there,after 20 years--what will become of the place isnt quite determined yet-
    -It passed the pollution tests,so it could be sold for housing,or maybe another salvage place would buy it since it still has a salvage licence and all--but several large yards right down the street wont touch it,the price is too high,and they say the EPA gives them enough greif with the yards they have already.....This is only one of several good yards that have dissapeared in the past year or two--:frown1: :frown1:

I dont see a rosy future for junkyards,as far as salvaging cars for parts--todays cars are usually junk by the time the motor quits,not worth putting another one in-I see cars in the late 90's just being shredded whole,trucks seem to be more likely to be saved than the cars,but with the prices scrap is bringing,people dont even bother to try to sell them first by advertising them in the want ads or classifieds..screws guys like us out of a lot of good,hard to find parts-:mad:
    -If I lose the local junkyards as a parts source,I will be hurting--if it werent for used parts,I would not be able to afford to have more than 1 truck,and they would not be in as good a shape as they are--I find some good deals on tires,rims,ect in the junkyards,but you have to search and be willing to work to get them--many times they say"where did you find that!" when I bring stuff to the "shack" to pay for it--many times they have so much stuff,they dont even know they had it!..
    .But it looks like those days are numbered--I'm not looking foreward to there being less and less available for older trucks--its hard enough now to find anything 20 years old in our rusty climate--I'm willing to bet even in arizona and california they are scrapping the rust free trucks as fast as we are crushing the rotboxes out here....I should move out there,before they are ALL gone!..:frown1:

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

the junk yard near me makes you pay to get rid of stuff, i think i paid like 50$ to get rid of a cab and frame, and 25$ for 2 beds

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

kidding me..

You've got to be kidding me. They make you pay to get rid of it?

What a rip-off... I'm lucky, I have a scrap yard about two blocks away from me. They don't have the greatest prices, but I don't have to travel far. I think I got $5 for 250lbs of scrap steel & iron.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

its all going to china folks... for that new dam they are building... the largest in the world... and now were bidding against them for gas... it isnt going to get better

I have some ocean going storage containers... you used to be able to buy them cheap... not anymore... theyre going to china for construction sheds...

dana 60s to scrap... makes me cry

cam

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

they want #1 scrap mostly....

The scrap yards near me are paying 75-80 bucks a ton now--they used to frown upon taking any "light iron" like sheetmetal,mowers,household items like washing machines,etc--they usually pay very little,or just let you dump that kind of stuff for free,now they are buying it,but paying very low price for it..if you bring #1 steel in less than 4 ft lengths,like frames,rims,axles--they call it "prepared" and give the most money,longer lengths are worth less(and harder to get there,hanging out of your truck!)...sawsall blades and oxogen isnt cheap though,and its time consumimg to have to saw everything up smaller for a few more bucks...

One of the worst things about the "crushathon" thats going on now,is all the trucks,machinery,mowers,etc,we used to pirate parts from,or bring home and resurect,are not available anymore--even if I see a truck there I want parts from,or say,a riding mower or other machine I want to salvage,its so busy there now with tractor trailers,loaders,trackhoes and the magnet crane its a life threatening thing to get out of your truck and even LOOK at them.nevermind get them!-
    -Its real easy to get run over and killed in the scrap piles--they used to pull things aside where folks could inspect them,and they often sold a very restoreable tractor or other implement very reasonable(and for more than its scrap value!)--but now its gotten so crazy there,with one big rig after the other coming in with cars and scrap,they more or less tell you to stay in your truck,and not to go walking around snooping in the scrap and trucks--one guy was in a truck getting a radio when the guy in the magnet crane picked it up,and he nearly went in the crusher before he luckily was spotted by the operator..they crush everything with the loaders down pressure as soon as it hits the ground now,to discourage "scavengers",when in the past it was a profitable little side business for both the scrap yard owner,and the people who bought the stuff--another good source of spare time income and hobby down the tubes.....I'm really starting to hate living in this "disposeable world" we are creating...

86 Chevybanshee,your local landfill will likely have a recycling center where you can bring scrap metal for free--I have learned ALL recycling centers in MA are required by law to let you dump glass.metal,batteries,tires,newspapers,magazines for free or a small fee for batteries,tires,and TV sets and computer monitors and refrigerators--they dont advertise the fact if the town you live in has no recycling center you can legally bring it to the nearest town that does have one at their transfer station or landfill--I scrapped an entire suburban at our recycling center,the guy at the landfill gave me a hard time because he felt I didnt cut it in small enough peices-
    -I told him that if he didnt want it,I'd glady sell it at the scrap yard,and I know he often put the aluminum and other "good scrap" in his own truck and sold it there himself at the end of each day,so he reluctantly folded it up with his bucket loader and took it--I think they try to turn away as many people as they can,due to them being lazy--like they dont get enough pay and benifits already!!(the guy said he gets 200-300 bucks a week by junking stuff from the metal pile--the town is suppossed to get the money,but they also dont want to pay for more than one or two trips to the scrapyard,I guess it costs a lot to haul the dumpsters there...so the let him "help out" by scrapping some of it himself,and they look the other way-that way they dont have to call the dumpster hauler so often...nice work if you can get it I guess...But I would not pay anyone to take any scrap now--its worth SOMETHING now,its not like a year ago when it was common to have to pay to get rid of light iron..:crazy: .

10. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

well this was like a year ago, i gota find a place near me that will pay me to get rid of it cuz i got 2 6 foot beds to get rid of, and a shorty school bus, so that should bring some cash in

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

scrap info

in my area the going price on crushed cars is 120-130 a ton.:blush: thay are cutting and crushing everything in sight and more at these prices. a friend of mine a bout 4 weeks ago saw one place crush a 90% complete 1 ton 4x4 and sent it to scrap ahahaha:frown1: :frown1: please we need to salvige what we can and build are own network of parts and friend to keep the sport going. :laugh: