Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junking a vehicle without title?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mechted, Sep 20, 2004.

1. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

there is a truck im looking at buying for parts, but the guy has no title on it. So after im done with it, what would i do about getting rid of it without a title?
    anyone know if i can just take to a scrap metal dealer? or do i have to do something more? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    thanks for the help

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Cut up whats left into small pieces and toss it in the dumpster at work a few pieces at a time til its gone /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Thats what I do anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i was told by the scrap yard, that as long as it looks like a vehicle, they need a title. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i was told by the scrap yard, that as long as it looks like a vehicle, they need a title. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I cut the roof off a K20 and took it to the scap yard here without the paperwork. Keep the vin tags glovebox door etc.

5. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

I did this all summer to make college money, with no title, just get the ol fire wrench out, blow the doors, roof and hood of it, flip it on its side, blow the frame in half, along with the floor pan, and it will fall apart, if you take the 2 halves in on separate occassions, they wont question you, at least they didnt where I live. And I had to deal with county cops watching for stolen cars at the junkyard all the time....

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I just chopped mine up and dumped it in a dumpster behind a grocery store.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I left a 25 dollar Chevette ( I got 6 months out of it ) on my Mom's street after I pulled the gas tank and dumped the 6 or so gallons in my friends truck . It had tags , but they were out of state plates and we couldn't find the title . I left it on street and the city towed it within a week . Of course I don't think I'd do that now , they have since moved , and I am sure the neighbors don't miss me and my cars /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

around here you get 90 bucks for a vehicle with a title, and 4 bucks if it doesnt have one....

9. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

i really dont care what i would get for it, i would just want it gone (legally)
    the thought of parting as much as possible and trashing the rest of the sheetmetal would work, except my parents (whose driveway it would be sitting on) wouldnt appreciate it much

talked with the seller again, turns out this thing has no title, and the VIN doesnt match the plates... so that complicates things, right?

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ted,
    I junk cars on a daily basis. In California there must be a tital to junk a car. So what I do is charge someone $50 if they do have a tital and $75 if the dont. I charge the original $50 to pay for disposal fees (batteries tires fluids and labor) and the extra $25 to cover the lein fee. It's the law in California that a car must have a tital to be junked so that stolen cars dont slip through the cracks.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man id have you come get my blazer, but your too far /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, i need to get rid of mine but im keepinf the title so the only way is to cut it up?

12. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I bring junk trucks to a scrap yard around here all the time without a title. It is smashed up into a cube before I leave. On my receipt it says "tin" for the type of metal that it was. If I was to bring in the stripped body of a late model Mustang or something else worth stealing they might get suspicious, but who would steal a rusty old truck to strip?

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont know the exact laws here,but I bring scrap to the yards all the time,only once when I junked a complete cab they asked me for a title,I had none,so they had me get the VIN tag and glovebox door off it,and wrote the number down in their log book--as far as I know its like another poster said--if it looks like a vehicle,you need the title,or at least they need to know what the VIN number was,the price stays the same as far as I can tell--but I am not a commercial scrap hauler either.I have brought whole trucks in several peices there with no questions(if you cut the frame in 4ft or less sections you get more $$$)but it costs quite a bit to cut them up(sawsall blades and oxogen arent cheap).Usually instead of cutting up good axles and tranny's I try to sell them at swap meets or to a core supplyer,the cores business around here is really taking off--you can get up to 60 bucks for an old catalitic converter(certain ones anyway)nd even old starters will bring 5 or 10 bucks apeice(this means I have about 100 bucks sitting on my garage floor,just in starters)forigen altenators and starters are gold sometimes--I found one at the landfill I thought would fit my friends toyota pickup--it didnt,so I tossed it in with the other stuff--the guy paid me 20 bucks for it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.I'm tending to look more into selling cores rather than just scrapping stuff--I hate scrapping something thats rebuildable,I prefer to scrap only stuff that is junk.I'll have to do some research and see what the law is exactly--I bet its something I wish I never read! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Actually I just looked into this yesterday as I had a 3/4 ton truck that I stripped the drivetrain off of. I got a title from the seller but never got it switched into my name (not worth the notary and title fee). I called the local scrap yard and they said all the glass and seats had to be removed and I needed a title in my name. Without a title it needed to be either crushed or in 4 pieces. And I would get $20 for it. The local salvage yard was happy to take it off my hands for nothing though (I'd never pay a salvage yard to take a vehicle when they will just strip and sell what they can then crush it and haul it off).