Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard 101

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeromy Gibson, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

I am swapping in a D70 under my blazer, and redoing the rear suspension at the same time. So what I want to do is use the the front hangers from the 1 ton, and go get another set of 1 ton front hangers to do my shackel flip, kind of a mini imbound, but can figure out a way to take them off in a junkyard. Any suggestions?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the obvious question is.. Can you get any power supply out to the truck in the yard? Will the junkyard cooperate with you? if not.. Get yer self a Chisel, a File, and a BFH :D

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get the yard (if they will) to bring out the blue tipped wrench from the dismantling area. One of the yard I worked at had a truck with a cutting torch setup in it so we could cut body parts off when we got the request for one. I've seen a few other yards do this too. Have a BFH and large cold chisel with you to beat the rivit head off once its nice and red. Better eat your wheaties that morning, even with the heat wrench you are going to be swinging that hammer a lot.

#2 alternative...Cut the frame infront and behind the hangers with the cutting torch, take the chunks home and remove the rivits there. This would only work if the yard is willing and has a frame that has been wacked to the point it's junk anyway. Most frames get crushed anyway good or bad so they might go for it.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hatchet job!!

Time to break out the all steel camping hatchet,a 5lb.sledge hammer,and safety goggles!--I've seen one guy use them to literally "chop" the hangers off a frame in 10 minites by using the hatchet as a cold chisel,and hitting it with the hammer(he put the hatchet between the frame and the hangar bracket,and drove it between them like a wedge--3 or 4 good whacks,and the rivets sheared right off!)--just be very careful of any peices that could break off the hatchet and stick in your eyes--I was amazed to see the hatchet he used suffered hardly any damage,even to the cutting edge!--must have been made in the U.S.A.!!..

Another alternative is an air chisel,but you will need a source of compessed air--one local yard has a gas engine powered air compressor on their torch truck,they use it a lot to prevent fires from the torches,but now that its snowed in here now,they would probably just cut the frame and hand you the peices,since most frames are rusty here anyway,they dont save or sell too many--not too many folks willing to put another frame under an older truck here,unless they are converting a 2wd to a 4x4..a cordless drill could be used to drill out the rivets,but it might take a few days and a few spare battery packs...:crazy:

5. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

This was what I was afraid of, I will try the hatchet trick, I would just buy some but the dealer wants 58 a peice. for that price I could get the ORD stuff. Just need to do it cheap.

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Are you talking about the ford 1-ton hangers and springs? If so, I am doing the same thing as you, but, like a dumbass, I went to the dealer and bought front and rear hangers for each side of the truck, no returns. I was going to cut out the bottom of the rear hanger and do the flip on the cheap, then I realized I shoulda bought another set of front hangers for the rear. Like I said, DUMBASS!! So now I am stuck with these useless rear hanger/shackle brackets. I just went ahead and bought some ORD 1-ton flip brackets, because the ford rear ones weren't tall enough to give me the lift I was looking for after the flip. Hopefully some ford dude wil need these one day, and I might be able to recoup some of the cash I wasted.

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

This is the best and one of the easiest mods I have done.

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

There are so many people on the board hacking up 3/4 and 1 ton trucks someone should be ablw to hook you up with a pair.