Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard 14 bolt - Ident Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BJarvis354, May 10, 2003.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a resource for identifing axles that are disembodied as SF or FF. Also any way of telling what ratio gears it has short of couting teeth (but that could be helpful too)

Brady

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I am curious also. I need to pick up(find first) a 3/4 ton rear this week coming up. I need to match it to my front 4.10 gearing. Whats the easy way to do this?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, the SF is an oval shape and the ff is roughly a triangle laying on its side, except this triangle has 4 corners (yeh so its like a quadangle or something). Anyway, if you can spin one wheel and count how many times the shaft, or yoke in this case, goes around that will be your ratio. Like spin the tire or wheel one time around and if the yoke or shaft spins a little over 4 then its prob a 4.10 or if its a bit under 4 then prob 3.73. I think thats the way, if now you might have to divide it by something but im pretty sure its just a straight spin and count. Hope that whole derned mess helps.

4. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

http://arizonaxj.rockcrawler.com/photo5.html
    go here, at the bottom is lists 2 gm housings with 14 bolt holes. if you look at the one on the right that is a FF 14bolt. look at the one on the left, and rotate 90* to the right, and that's a sf 14bolt.

-Scott

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh see that looks like a triangle on its side with like 5 angles dont it? kinda? sorta? not really? o heck with it, looks nothing the same.

6. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

yeah that makes sense....How about anything else I should look for? Are some 14FF more apt to bolt in than others without shock or spring perch mods?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if its in a one ton then you will have to move the spring perches, if its in a 3/4 ton (pre 81 i believe) then the perches will be right. These are found in some 3/4 ton burbs as well. Also, if you find one in a big van, it is the same width as the front axle on your truck. All the GM rear axles are 3" total (1.5" each side) narrower than front so that the back tires arent in the same ruts as the front and to help the turning radius to an extent. If that slightly narrower look irks ya, look in a van. Have fun.