Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard D60's and 14FF's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Mar 6, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Junkyard D60\'s and 14FF\'s?

Well i have been doing some searches on old posts, but i figured i'd ask as well...

I know of a junkyard that has some trucks with 8 lug axles.
    ...IT's not a junkyard you can just walk around. The owner wants you to tell him what you need and then he'll have his workers go get it for you...
    I have been there before and if i tell him I know exactly what i'm looking for and I got cash for if i find it... then he'll let me roam around the junkyard in hopes of that D60. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    I'm going to go there this weekend and check out what axles they have.
    I'm looking for front dana 60's and rear 14 FF.
    What else should i look for besides the 60 casted into the center section of the housing?
    What years Chevy trucks would i be looking for the best D60?
    Are they under 3/4 tons and 1 tons... are there 3/4 ton versions and beefier 1 ton versions i should be looking for?
    I'm looking for one hub to hub hopefully.
    The thing is... I'm sure the guy will want more for a D60 out of a 1 ton compared to a 3/4 ton just because it is a "1TON"...
    If D60's come in both 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with no difference, I think I know how to save a little money. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I know the 14FF have 3/4 ton and 1 ton versions where the brakes are BIGGER... these 14 bolts should be pretty easy to come by compared to the D60's!

And lastly... how much would you spend for a D60 hub to hub... Knowing that the carrier and gears are gonna go in favor of a posi and some 4:56 or 5:13's? I'm thinking $400, and i'll still be spending money on the posi and gears.
    Any advise or input is appriciated.
    Maybe like $600 for a D60 Front and a 14FF rear?

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

Re: Junkyard D60\'s and 14FF\'s?

as far as i know all 3/4 tons are just D44's with 8 lugs. and if i understand right only a 14 from a 3/4 ton will bolt right up, a 14 from a 1 ton you have to move the spring perches. thats my 2 cents

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

And the D60 came from years 81 threw 86 and some 87.. I believe...Dan

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think D60s don't come in 3/4 ton version. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I just asked about the differences a few days ago, and the answer was that the most notable difference is the steering arm. It's held by 4 bolts, while a D44 is held by 3. Take a good look at the pics in project UAV.

From what I've read, D60s are in the $1000 range over there in the US.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What you are looking for is front and rear axles out of a 77-87 K30. Only 1 tons came w/ a D60. 3/4 tons came w/ a 8-lug D44 or 10B depending on the year. You want the 1 ton rear because it has the correct spring perch spacing for your 1st gen (3/4 ton axles fit the rest of the 73-91 Blazers). You should expect to spend $900-$1100 for a D60 front and around $200 for a 14B. You can find 4.56 gears from the factory but good luck! Also look for a open carrier in the 14FF because that is the only one that a Detroit will go in. Open carriers have 4 Pins and the 3 pin ones are Gov-Lock's

6. Ryan B.

Thanks for the responses.
    I know that these Dana 60's are going for like $1000 or more dollars. I kinda thought they were only in 1 tons.
    This guy doesn't seem too wise on what he has there at the junkyard as far as the demand and price for D60's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I could score a D60 for like $500. If i go there with cash in hand it'll be damn tempting for him considering they pay $500 to 1000 max for the whole truck. That would be sweet.

As for the 14 bolt rear I don't care about moving the perches and shock mounts. I would move the perches reguardless to dial in my drivshaft angle. I'm not too worried about finding one of these 14 bolts. I'll be looking for a 1 ton just for the beefier brakes though.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Grinding off the old perarches is a Royal PITA! It took me a few days to do it and in the process I knocked it off my jackstands and onto my foot...couldn't put shoes on for a few days!

8. Ryan B.

I know, I know.
    I've already done it so I know what i'm in for.
    My neighbor let me borrow his cutting torch so I had to remember how to use it. It had been a couple years but it's like riding a bike you never lose it.
    Cutting torches are SWEEET. Then it took a good half an hour to grind off the remaining material.

I torched off the old ones and welded on some new beefier spring perches on my 12 bolt... bolted it up loosely in the u bolts with the new perches... bolted up the driveshaft and got the angle perfect, tackwelded the perches... and then took it back out to finish welding inside and out of the spring perches.

Its a pain but its fun to do things yourself. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just remember that 14FF pearches arn't steel on most of them...they are cast.

10. Ryan B.

You bring up a good point there Triaged...
    Does that mean it would be more difficult to use a torch and a grinder if they were cast????
    Once i get them ground off down to the axle tube, then it should be a piece of cake to weld on new aftermarket steel perches correct?

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think somewhere between 83 and 85 was when they went to stamped steel mounts. It took me about 6 hours to move my mounts and make up and mount new shock brackets. Look at all the 8 lug axles just in case somebody swapped in a D60 into something else. Also if you find a 1 ton make sure it is a 60 and not a 44 or 10 bolt that got swapped in. Easy way to tell if it is a 60 without crawling under is just look at the passenger side spring mount, it will only have 1 u bolt on the outside and 2 studs going into the carrier on the inside.

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

So where did you score the NEW perches?

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

MOO can supply then and you can find them in some 4x4 stores. Also Summit and Jegs might carry them.

14. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

What is MOO?

15. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status