Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard D60's - What about a F*RD High Pinion version?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Junkyard D60\'s - What about a F*RD High Pinion version?

Now that Mr. Watson helped me realize that there are other ways to get a "High Pinion D60" up front besides paying the $5000+ for a Dynatrac one......I was wondering:
    <ul type="square">
    What are the correct F*RD "donor vehicles" to look for?
    Are all the same gearsets avaible as Chevy? (3.73 / 4.10 / 4.56 / 4.88 &amp; 5.13)
    Same availability of lockers &amp; limited slips, etc. ?
    Any other "gotchas" besides the fact that the pumpkin is on the wrong side, and you also need a F*RD NP205 case with the "Doubler Kit"...?
    [/list]
    I've got no idea is the "demand" for these D60's is any less than the Chevy stuff.....maybe there's a chance for a deal if your willing to deal with the extra hassles of swapping the transfer case too.....? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Re: Junkyard D60\'s - What about a F*RD High Pinion version?

The demand is actually higher than for the Chevy/Dodge ones due to the High Pinion. The "Wheelbase Challanged" groups are snatching them up. Some are even hacking them up for rear diffs. I think they started around '79. They switched to a ball joint type around '93. They are in 1 Tons and some HD 3/4's. I think the gear selection is the same, other than on the Low end (High Numerically) due to the Rev. Rotation. Lockers and LSD are the same, just gearsets are different. They have different outer knuckles that are shorter than the GM/Dodge versions, so it is not easy to swap to the 35 spline outers. Can switch to GM/Dodge knuckles on out to get 35 spline, or Waggoneer Machine has some Spendy 35's. Heard rumor that a Moly 35 spline F@RD will be available this year at a lower price. Have been doing research because one of my employee's has a '79 F@RD w/ a blown engine. It could be "Happy Boss' Day" soon!

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Dind't realize that spelling the "F" word that way would make it linkable.

4. Greg72

Yep,

Part of the latest software updates Steve's been doing.....you've probably noticed that URL's automatically create hyperlinks now without having to use the URL tags...

Sorry to hear the news about the HP F*RD stuff.....that sounds like a harder "score" to find than a Chevy one! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Maybe I should take a REAL hard look at my front driveline angles and be really SURE that the high pinion is needed..... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Junkyard D60's-...
    Hmmmm wonder where you got the subject title. Gotta love that cut + paste huh. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Greg72

Yep,

Just trying to "steal" your thread without ACTUALLY stealing your thread.....!!!!

Have the "meanie pills" worn off yet? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Naaa I don't think quite yet.
    It's just part of the "Hazing" of the new moderator... you'll notice i haven't been picking on anyone else... giving them $hit. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I think it lasts for a week./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    I haven't heard you cry "uncle" yet. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I'm still pissed about the whole green name thing. I'll get over it... eventually.

LOL/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

WooHoo !
    Finally a tech question on this board I can help with

The vehicles to look for are:
    77.5-79 F250, it came with a high GVWR or snowplow package
    79 F350 all
    86-91 F350 will get you a king pin front, but wider spring pad distances than the 77.5-79 version
    92-97 F350 Ball joint front, in my opinion not a bad thing, just harder to do a hi-steer if your interested in that.
    99-Present F350, F450, &amp; F550 Dual tire only, balljoint, not sure about the width, but they use Fords new goofy 8 on 170mm bolt patteren. Single wheel trucks use a D50, which is kinda good &amp; bad. I'm pretty sure it's reverse cut, but only uses D44 sized ring &amp; pinion... you do get the huge axle joints, but with only 30 spline shafts.
    80-85 Ford was on a "all IFS" kick, you GM guys should know all about that one, so even the F350s were TTB

Gears are availble 3.54, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, &amp; 5.38 I know, the 3.73s I'm not sure.

As posted above, any 35 spline D60 carrier/ls/locker will work (just remember the carrier split at 4.10/4.56)

Yea, you'll have to put up with everyones s#!t for running Ford parts on your GM... trust me, I hear about the GM parts on my Ford quite a bit.

hope this helps ya out a little

oh yea, don't forget too Ford 205s are a dime a dozen, all with 31 spline inputs &amp; 32 spline outputs

9. Greg72

NoRulz,

Actually that helps a LOT!!!! Thanks for taking the time to list all those...... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Now I'll start scouring the local papers for that "diamond in the rough"........

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Aren't all those Furd D60's driver's side pumpkin?

11. Greg72

Blazin'

YEP.....you've gotta also get a Furd version of the NP205 for your "Doubler" to get the driveshaft on the correct side....other than that, it's possible.

I don't feel too bad about using stuff that was on a Furd.....if you think about it.....it's still a DANA axle (Chevy and Furd both OEM'ed the axles) and the xfer cases are from NEW PROCESS....either way. To me it just sounds like a "name game".....you can call it a Furd part if you want, but we all REALLY know who designed and built it!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

........that's my theory anyway.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't care who's name is on it, or what it's found on. If it works and saves me money or trouble, I'll use it. I don't care is if says GM or Ford, although I do have a preference of "Made in the USA".

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Totally agree. Whatever works, ya know?

14. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Yup, I have a HP d60 from a 79 F350 and it has the same spring perch dis. as my 10 bolt. I'm goin to use the Ford square u-bolt and under plate on the diff side, and go with GM stile u-bolte w/spring plate on the pass side.

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Greg72

You can all-ways cut and splice as needed. It costs some, but can be done and might save some cash latter. Stephans (ORD) Jimmy is awn' the money with the "Chevy-shafts" idea.

No-Rules
    "99-Present F350, F450, &amp; F550 Dual tire only, balljoint, but they use Fords new goofy 8 on 170mm bolt patteren *What were they thinking? Don't git me started on the 7-lug thing, Twizz*.
    Single wheel trucks use a D50, which is kinda good &amp; bad. I'm pretty sure it's reverse cut *Allmost positive of it, Twizz*,
    but only uses D44 sized ring &amp; pinion... you do get the huge axle joints, but with only 30 spline shafts. *Sounds like the unit to get, except for the wheel bolt pattern Twizz*

Thanks No-rules, cleared it up a bunch.

16. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

"What were they thinking? Don't git me started on the 7-lug thing, Twizz"

Hahaha... right with ya on that one man... I have no idea WTF they were up to there.

"Sounds like the unit to get, except for the wheel bolt pattern Twizz"

Ya know, I've said that a few times, but for lighter vehicles... early broncos, jeeps &amp; such... the D50 would kick ass... but I still think our big trucks need the 60's R&amp;P strength too, the weight is hell on an axle.

17. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I dont really follow to cut and splice idea, just use the Ford housing as is and swap on the GM steering knuckles. The Ford and GM inner shafts have slightly different lenghts but you can get new spicer fat shafts for the Ford, same price as the GM ones.

Russ, There is a way to get away from that bottom u-bolt plate deal on the FD-60 drivers side if you want to get alittle creative. Take a pc. of heavy wall pipe with a ID of 5/8-3/4" and have it bent into a horseshoe with an ID of 4" then cut it on a band saw right down the middle so the channel is on the outside. Notch the web of the housing some and weld it on so you have a track for that inside u-bolt, the outside u-bolt will go around the axle tube.You could weld a tab on the tube for this one to keep it straight, just an idea that works for me!

RGF

18. tonto

tonto Registered Member

one person said the most important part of all, 77.5-79 fords used 32.5 on center spring perches, just what is needed. i bought a 78 f-250 that had the snow plow option which gave it a d-60 instead of d-44. best 1000 i ever spent. traded rest of truck off for machine work.

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

"Sounds like the unit to get, except for the wheel bolt pattern Twizz"

Ya know, I've said that a few times, but for lighter vehicles... early broncos, jeeps &amp; such... the D50 would kick ass... but I still think our big trucks need the 60's R&amp;P strength too, the weight is hell on an axle.

<hr></blockquote>
    IIRC, the D50 has a housing the size of a D60 but with small D44 sizer carrier. So, you don't get anything (unless I'm mistaken) by going D50. If I got to do the swap and give up the clearance, I want a D60 (unless someone selling D50s for little more than D44/C10s.

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

IIRC- not sure what the is, "As Far As I Recall" ? or something along the same lines?

I agree on the clearance issue. Gotta put a "tape" to it, first-hand. Also, I bet a guy could shave it down.
    Otherwise.
    I would think, A 8.5" ring gear, driven on the drive-side, and only part-time. Should survive under everything, but the -very- most extream wheeling.

Because:
    - A 8.5 inch gear is used -alot- as rear gears, under full-time use, with-out problems on trucks and suburbans. I know, there are problems, and it is under-sized as a rear. But for the most-part, it does O.K. as a rear, under "noraml" use, ans sometimes abused beyound it's intended design.
    - A Ford front-end is reverse (as far as the current ones I've seen) And that would make it as strong as a 10-bolt rear. but with only half the in-put torque.

So, Why not use one, If it's cheeper and avalible.
    The only problem I see, is converting it to more-avaliuble axle-shafts and hubs/bolt pattern.

Doesn't realyl mean much to me, but I'm just talkin' shop and tapping you guys opinins.