Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard Goodies

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hektyk, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

I am making a trip to the local Boneyard and I have a question. If I was to get some better more beefy axles, what would I look for?I have an 84 k5 with 10 bolt corperates on it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. b laub

b laub Registered Member

well ur best bet is to find a 14 bolt from a hd truck but if not also a 12 bolt would be nice to have

89' k5 383

3. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    well ur best bet is to find a 14 bolt from a hd truck but if not also a 12 bolt would be nice to have

89' k5 383

[/ QUOTE ]

So will any front or rear I find fit on my truck? Or only certain ones. Do I have to take the front off of the front?

4. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Also How much of a PITA is it to swap my tired carb 305 out for a 350 fuel injection motor? Will i have to get all kinds of sensors to install?

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wanna Keep 6 lugs? If so, 10 bolt front is as good as you'll get, but you can get a C14 semi-float rear with 6 lugs. Look in later model light duty 3/4 tons and HD 1/2 tons.

Getting new wheels? Considering 8 lugs? 3/4 ton will get you a C14 full float rear (close to unbreakable) and better brakes on the front, but you still get a D44 or C10 up front. Of course, the ultimate is 1 ton (single rear wheel) which gets you a Dana 60 front, but your not likely to find that in a junkyard...

As for EFI, converting to TBI is not hard with all junkyard parts. If you seriously consider it, get this book. BlazinOr (now SubOR or something?) put me onto it and it's been a big help...

You can do what I did, just buy a TBI 350 out of a low mileage wreck (mine was an almost new GM Good Wrench crate motor) along with accessories, wiring (under hood and dash), and computer. Very little more trouble than just pulling and installing a new engine. No brackets to find/modify, no belt/pully problems, no butchered wiring, no problems... Worst part is adapting the fuel system to higher pressure and connecting to the bozo metric couplers on the TBI stuff...

6. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Thanks. You've been a great help man. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just edited and added a little more info on the TBI if you want to check it out...

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hey if you see any 1 ton trucks with a solid front axle and your not taking it let me know. I"m looking for 8 lug 3/4 T as well. Just ain't any here in lubbock /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    hey if you see any 1 ton trucks with a solid front axle and your not taking it let me know. I"m looking for 8 lug 3/4 T as well. Just ain't any here in lubbock /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell you what I know a place by my house that my wifes Uncle owns. It's in the middle of nowhere on the backroads of a little bitty town. I had an 88 Trans Am and used to go there all the time. Every car I ever saw there had every part on it. It Rocked. There was a ton of trucks there too. I will take a good look and let ya know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif