Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

junkyard hot day

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Jul 26, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Went to the most backwoods junkayrd I could find today. It just gets older the further you walk back into the woods/yard. Lots of trucks, few 4x4s. However they did have lots of Military vehicles. The guy wanted $1000 for a pair of 5ton axles and $1300 for a pair of 2.5ton axles. I found a few dump body C30s with the hydrolic PTO pump assemplies but no PTO winches... I also found a Ramcharger with a newer beefy tube front and rear bumperwhich I thought might look nice welded onto the frame of my K5. Otherwise, nothing I could use or need.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Old junkyards scarce now..

They crushed out all the older cars and trucks around here in the past few years,especially this year when scrap prices hit nearly 100 bucks a ton..the yard I usec to work at had vehicles dating back into the 1920's,but it closed the first of the year,after they crushed all 650 cars and trucks,busses,etc.(many old lincolns,packards,and cars from the 50's and 60's got crushed with a lot of good chrome,and other parts left on them--it was a shame! :mad: ).its still sitting there empty!--I find it hard to believe it hasn't been bought by one of the many other large junkyards not far away,or by some greedy condo developer...

I have witnessed the demise of many junkyards here in the past 5 years or so--many memories went along with them...one of my favorite things to do is scour an old junkyard!--but not in july-only hell itself is hotter than a junkyard when its 90+ degrees out--I dont miss pulling parts off in that kind of weather--and bald faced wasps made my life miserable in the summer there as well!..its sad to see all the older stuff dissapear forever though.. :(

3. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

I LOVE JUNKYARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is a bummer tho to think all that vintage iron got shreded

4. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

70's 4wd's are getting pretty rare around here