Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard hunting--no more....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Nov 17, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I got very depressed today --went to one of my favorite junkyards,just to see whats there for trucks...there used to be over 100 older GM trucks there,most of them 4x4's...now there is only about 5! :frown1: ..and most of them were alredy gutted of the drivetrain..there has been a lot of changes there too--. :doah:

I'd guess at least 50% of all the vehicles there are gone..they had at least a few thousand,maybe more..mow you can actually see the ground,and its not littered with peices of cars or other junk either,and now a field is where hundreds of cars and trucks once were..I don't know if they got in trouble by the EPA,or if its just the son who took the bussiness over is just cleaning out the older stuff..but it depresses the hell out of me to see all the vehicles I'm interested in dissapearing like the dinosours,from the face of the earth...

I met my friends son there,who had a weeks vacation,and was looking around..he looked at the yard,and said -"Man--things are really changing fast around here lately--seems like all the stuff we knew is gone--now the place is full of jelly beans and shoeboxes"..referring to the look alike cars of the past 10 years,and all the SUV's that have taken the place of all the K5's,Suburbans,and pickups..

He looks at my C10 in the parking lot,and says-"hey Bob,look,a truck like yours,FOR SALE!--you'd better buy it,it might be the last one that old around here..I said "it IS my truck you bonehead! :haha: :rolleyes: --he said "Oh,THATs why it looks familiar!..I haven't seen him since the spring,so I guess he forgot my truck was yellow.. :p:

But I left there with a heavy heart..the owner said he isn't really interested in keeping any older trucks,if he gets any in,he either sells them right away,or brings them to the shredder down the street..since steel prices went up to 80 a ton,and gas got so expensive,hundreds of trucks went directly to the crusher fully intact(because they weigh more that way),rather than keep the motors and T-cases,or FF axles..good luck finding one for your truck around here now if you need one..only us "backyard mechanics" who strip a truck now and then,and hold onto the parts will have anything--the swap meets I've been to are drying up too,some parts still around,but nothing like years past..

Am I really getting this old??..am I really 20 years behind the times,driving trucks from the 70's and 80's still??...Am I crazy for not wanting a newer truck,when I see more 90's in the yards than there ever were 73-87's,already,not even 15 years old??...sigh..I just feel like I aged 30 years today...as Merle Haggard asked.."Are The Good Times Really Over For Good"?. :frown1: :eek: :dunno:

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thats kinda the way it's going.

Just be glad for now that the junkyard is still there. I had a junkyard that I grew up with sell and get paved over and couple years ago. I felt like a bunch of family members all died at the same time.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I searched a junkyard with 300+ trucks/vans/SUV section and found 1, count it, 1 chevy 14 bolt in the whole mix. I needed some parking brake cables and the lever actuator things, along with some other stuff. Mainly see Dodge Caravans and 1/2 ton Econolines around here (DC metro area altleast)

Almost like Chevies are getting scarce around here??!!???

4. diesel4me

All gone...

Yeah,lots of Caravans,Ford Areostars,and all FWD cars..hardly any trucks now,and mostly Fords if any,not GM trucks,other than some 90's ones.. :( This yard had piles of rear axles and transfer cases the size of a house!--some rear ends are still there,but every transfer case is gone..I saw one Dana 60 in the pile from an early Ford..600 bucks..last one in the yard,and it looks like its bent too..sigh..

The junkyard I worked at down the street from there,that closed first of this year ,was like losing part of myself,and the good friend I worked with there,when the owner decided to close the place for good,and crushed 650 old antique cars and trucks..even though most of them crumbled as they were picked up and put into the crusher,I still cried,thinking of all the people who were probably looking for that elusive 48 Packard mouldings,or a tranny,etc. Its like I watched part of history being destroyed,as well as many rare parts..and a part of my life as well--had a lot of fun in that place,many good memories..

The owners wife inherited the place when her husband died of cancer--she sold every bussiness he had,he was a highly decorated Marine,and owned several resturaunts,nursing homes,and was worth over 60 million bucks.

I found a picture of him with President Regan in the trailer/office there--its probably still on the wall getting moldy.. :mad: .his wife sold all the other bussinesses,and now the place is sitting empty,other than 6 rare 48 Packard "Woody" wagons in tough shape,and some other cars inside the building....its priced at 850,000 bucks. :doah: its so sad to see the forkloader sitting there with 4 flats,a busted windshield,and the ramp truck parked off to the side of the large quonset garage,and the place empty, and abandoned,..the same way I feel when I look at it now.. It will most likely be turned into more yuppie condos..makes me sick just to drive by it now.. :frown1:

I wish I had the money to get that place..not that I'd keep it a junkyard,there are so many hassles to running one here now,with the EPA and all--it would make a nice concert venue,with its huge building,and plenty of parking,and right off the main interstate..I'm suprised a trucking company ,greedy developer,or contractor hasn't scoffed the place up already..

I won't live long enough to get that kind of money,even if I started when I was 25...sucks that all the millionaires just let things sit and rot,and that witch was too cheap to keep a couple of guys employed,doing what they loved..now it appears ALLl the yards are going to keep nothing old,and you wont be able to buy anything for older trucks-the place I visited today was about the last yard that still had many older GM trucks,and more 4x4's than any other place around.. :mad:

Nobody is really fixing theese newer cars theyare keeping,no one is swapping engines in them,etc,like they did to older vehicles..--they just throw them away like an empty beer can,they're disposable,--there all used up by the time they get to the junkyard..new body parts are dirt cheap,no one buys used fenders..the junkyards will not go out of bussiness,but its a fair bet the days of "pick and pull" are very endangered..they are become more of a recycling/processing center,than a place to buy parts..

It kinda makes me wish I'd croaked already,rather than see things come to this.. :( ..

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have been depressed by the local U Pull It yard from day one. Very little in the way of Chevy (or other ) trucks. Not a single 60, or even a 14bff last time I was there. Takes all the fun out of it.

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Junk yards were a dieing breed from the day they came out. I would go as a kid and just walk through them looking at stuff just to look. However when the land becomes worth more then the junk it gets sold off. The only yards that will survive wre the ones that accually do inventories and log the parts disassembly the vehicles and just store the parts. How many full chevy trucks do you need sitting in your junk yard, most if not all the body parts you can buy new. I always thought it would be cool to own a yard but it would be way different then the ones I visited when I was a kid

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

The price of steel has been going through the roof lately, they may have decided that tonnage is worth more than their parts inventory.

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I could say I'm lucky... guy that owns the junkyard across the street from the bodyshop I spend time at, he loves GM trucks. Went to him one day asking if he had some K5 Blazer badges (Mine said "K5 azer"). He replies "You see those two trailers back there?" Pointing at some old semi trailers. "They're full of K-truck parts, if you can find em, you can have em"

Haven't bothered to look in the trailers in a while though. I'd reckon he would actually want some cash for the more valuable parts.

9. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

WOW ! I guess I got it good over here . I love the old iron and I like being able to pop open the hood and see a real engine and not some motor covered in wire's and vacumn lines . I seen a 70 gmc 3/4t 2wd pu on CL the other day for $1700 . it was gold and white and a really nice truck (no rust) but needing a new 350 . I see this stuff alot here . My buddy in Grand Rapids is threatning to bring a trailer out here and load up some chevys to take back home . I can go to any of the wrecking yard's (5) in a 20 mile radius and find a buch of old chevy truck's , van's , suburbans . I even looked at a ford 79 4x4 that still had the sm435/205 combo in it . All kind's of 14ff and dana 60's (not front's , calm down :haha: ) . I do remember stomping thru the yard's with my dad in the 70's and seeing all the 30's to 50's cars/trucks every where . Times are changing .

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm sure that there are those out there too that are trying to phase out all the older trucks and cars. My newest is an '87 K30, which is in pieces and undergoing a frame up swap, reverting back to a carb and no TBI and no computer. I won't want to own or drive anything newer, at least not permanently.

I need to try and keep control of what I accumulate too. I don't want the epa showing up in my driveway saying "you have an illegal wrecking yard", when all it is to me is my own personal parts and projects laying around.

11. diesel4me

zoned??

Here in my now yuppie infested town,we are only allowed ONE unregisterd vehicle to be in anyone's yard..no half dissasembled vehicles,junk strewn about,etc..though so far the law isn't enforced very much..I see unregistered vehicles in many yards in my area..only if you have anal yuppie neighbors that piss and moan,will you have any problems with the town..

I've had a mini boneyard of my own here for 20 years,but I didn't have more than 2 to 3 vehicles sitting around in plain veiw,and I kept the parts under cover or in sheds for the most part--out of sight,out of mind..I at least threw a tarp over them..and we never had any houses close enough until recently for anyone to squawk about them..I kind of wish I'd bought more trucks and stashed them away in the past--and kept my 69 GTO,and 66 Wildcat and Electra 225..I was stupid to sell them.. :doah:

A few of my neighbors now have at least 2 vehicles parked in the woods and weeds behing their homes,I only have my 81 G10 Van,which I've been pondering about lately,as to whether its worth keeping any longer..its sat since december 03,when I bought the 82 K20..its going to need a lot of work once I "wake it up" again..letting a vehicle sit kills them real quick around here,unless its inside-. :( --all the work I did putting in a V8 and another rear end ,and painting it in 2000 was for naught--its all bubbled and rotting all over...the brakes will need work after sitting I'm sure,and the gas tank has had only about a gallon of gas in it the whole time..probably rusted now.. :(

I've been wondering if I should just scrap it..I could get a few hundred for it,probably more than I'd get selling it..but since I could be homeless when my mom passes on,I think perhaps I might be better off to keep it..Its set up like a conversion van,and if I had to,it would at least be a roof over my head..

Alan--if you have a lot of acerage,you could probably apply for "Farm/Agricultural" status on part of your property--I nearly did before my dad died,we had the minimum 4 acres required to do it here,and I could have cut our taxes nearly in half,applied for a "Farm" plate you can put on anything from a truck to a tractor and drive legally within a 60 mile radius at much lower rates than regular plates--almost as good as a "Repair" plate!..plus you can get a break on diesel fuel and other products.--you can also get a lot more slack on how many vehicles and machinery you can keep there ,and repairing them,without any complaints..

Most people with "Farms" here often run a repair shop,and only "farm" a small plot of tomatoes and corn for their own consumption,just to avoid paying residential rates on the taxes,and save money on food..one major drawback to the farm status is that the town gets first dibs on your property if it goes up for sale--either that,or you have to re-apply for residential status,and pay a penalty for "tax evasion"..it often still amounts to less than you'd have paid had it been "residential" all along..

But after my dad died,my mom sold 2 acres next door--now a 500,000 dollar yuppie castle sits there..so much for that idea.. :(

I just assume move away from here now..--I like hearing that a few places are not all yuppified and "progress" has yet to set in and ruin the quality of life..this used to be a nice quiet town,a good place to raise kids,and have a decent life..now its a crack infested Wal-Mart loving city..still LOOKS like a quaint suburban town..but it has a dark side that they dont want the people moving in to know about until there already here..and they are moving in in droves--

Our population has tripled in the past 5 years in this area..a lot of the people coming in are from bigger cities like Boston,they think its great here,like living in the country..but in reality,WE are fast becoming another "Boston"--all the drugs,crime,and poor attitudes are coming in with them..its really starting to suck here,despite the fact there is a lot of building going on,and some job actually pay well,IF you can get hired..

I'd like to live in a place like TN,or Oregon,MT,where there is still open space,old trucks still in the junkyards,and you can walk down the street without fear....and people don't flip you the bird at every intersection,and will actually say hello and talk to you,instead of giving you a "drop dead" look..I like places that cherish past history,and aren't in a big hurry for the "old way" to go away..anyone live in a place like that??... :confused: :crazy:

12. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

I have a bunch of three word sentences for this:

I HATE "PROGRESS".
    I HATE "DEVELOPMENT".
    I HATE "WAL-MART".
    I HATE "SUBURBIA".
    I HATE ZONING.
    I HATE CLEAR CUTTING.
    I HATE GOVERNMENT.
    I HATE "NEW".

I could go on. Junkyards are one huge loss, and how about "Auto-Parts" stores? When was the last time you walked into one and the people across the counter even knew what your type of truck looked like? Or better yet had any idea of what parts you were trying to find? It kills me that every time I go to the parts store and tell them I need X for my '69 Blazer, the person across the counter asks "is it a Fullsize?" (like there was such a thing as an S-10 Blazer back then). Seriously, I was born in 1980 but I have more of a clue about "old" stuff than anyone else I know my age.

I am just glad that the Internet has been able to give all of us a way to fight to keep our hobbies alive, whether it be parts swapping over the For Sale boards or for land-use rights for 4-Wheelin'. It is probably the only "new" thing that has been worth a damn in the last decade or so.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not to pilot the thread off topic... But I was pleasantly surprised when I got my bike inspected a couple weeks ago at the local Harley dealer. Not what I was expecting coming from deaking with auto parts walmart-ish stores and being a noob overall to bikes. One guy behind the counter started giving me tips, he knew my Kawasaki backwards and forwards, fixed a brake switch problem that would have failed the inspection for free in half a second because he knew exactly what the condition was... :haha: :haha:
    He warned me NOT to try taking out the carbs unless I was ready to lay it up for a while (good to know, since I was planning to rebuild them if I winterize and store it).
    The other counter guys were real cool too, really seemed to talk the game like they knew their stuff. And they treated me a heckuva lot better then a lot of Harley riders do when I mention my bike's a metric... It was wierd how a couple customers gave me the cold shoulder but the counter guys were BSing with me like I brought in a Sportster or something.

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I am fortunate enough in that respect to have a parts store that has had basicly the same staff for 10 years. They know my name and recognize me when I enter the store. They do know thier parts, or at the very least know how to enter them into the computer to be able to find them.