Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard lift kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Currank5, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

I went to the local junkyard today to get some new u joint bolts because i busted a u joint and it messed up the tops of the bolts. At the junkyard they had a k5 that looked like it had a 4 inch lift, all springs no blocks. The shocks say "Skyjacker" on them. They were about to close up so i talked to some kid out in the yard. He told me to come back and talk to the owner about what he'd want for them. I'm just wondering what would be a fair price for the springs. :confused: I'd definately buy new shocks and i'd probably need a drop pitman arm? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look in the classifieds here. Lots of 4-6" lift springs are sold and you can get a pretty good idea.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't pay anymore than what a stock spring would be from a yard.

4. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't even mention that its a lift spring...guess it depends on how big the yard is though, at P+P they don't know/care what they have. I got koni red struts for my camaro for like 10 bucks...same price as normal strut.

5. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately they do know. This is a small local junk yard and they're pretty expensive compared to the pick and pull yard i usually go to. So i know they'll try to get whatever they can out of me because thats just how they do business. Thats why i'd like to know what you guys think is fair. Just so i have an idea. I've never bought used springs before but maybe i'll call some other junk yards just to get an idea.

6. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

price a new lift and offer them a third of that :D

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i got a used 4" kit one time. thay cut it out for me and i just needed to get bushings. paid 200 out the door for front and rear springs 4"

8. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

ya know i got to thinkin about your (lift kit ) why dont you do the home made shackle flip in the rear and put some 35.00 dollar 52s on the front ? this would not only save you money but be very functional to .:laugh:

9. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

yeah, there are a few places like that out here i have to go to every now and then (GM Sports Salvage) for any old school parts pretty much, and they just rape you. They tried to charge my brother like $100 for some old stock lower control arms for a 72 cutlass, we got a brand new set of boxed LCA's with poly bushings for like 50 bucks more...

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

looked like a 4" lift and actually is 4" is different. if there are still labels on the springs that would help. could be 2.5" or 3" springs. new 4" front springs are not that expensive. If you buy a good kit it will come with everything you need to do it once and right.

junkyard springs are going to be rusty, probably need bushings, and have sagged some from use. price out new bushings, shocks, u-bolts, steering arm, brakeline extensions or new lines. subtract all that from a complete new kit. pay a third of what is left for junk springs.