Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard motor ID

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Sep 10, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Browsing through the yards today and we found a TBI motor in a first style second gen 75-81. Anyways aluminum intake that is part of the head like a 390 Furd motor. TBI pod says Rochester tbi on it. Lastly the rockers were staggered like a big block /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It appears to be a sbc. Dist in the rear oil filter in the same place, firing order the same IIRC but like no block I've ever seen /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif 1619906 was stamper on the intake /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif any ideas?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm surprised if those numbers are right, that it doesn't even come up on google.

Is it perhaps the Cadillac 4.1 or whatever they were making, those motors that were supposedly one of the worst GM ever made, in the 80's? IIRC those motors used staggered rockers, but they used a "bridge" (aluminum?) between the pairs of rockers to keep them aligned, and also what the rockers pivot on. Plain bolt through the top in the center of the rocker (instead of the typical chev stud) holds the "bridge"/pivot piece into each rocker arm.

Don't know what a 390 looks like, so nothing to even picture what you are saying.

I'd be curious to get a picture of it. I always get excited like it's going to be some ultra rare experimental piece or something, reality is it's just something most people don't see.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are the heads cast iron and the block aluminum?

If so then Dyeager is correct about it being a 4.1/4.5 caddy engine.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think you guys are right I did some searching on the caddy motor. It has the bridge between the rockers, and the heads were cast. Not sure about the block didnt really notice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif