Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard Q-jet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Dec 13, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I am going to try and pick up a Q-jet on my next trip to the junkyard. I want to have something on hand for if/when I ditch the E-brock Performer. Is there any truck, year, etc. that I should look out for, or are all q-jets the same?

2. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Look for something of the same era (75 and earlier at least) so that you don't get stuck with a Q-jet saddled with UN-adjustable idle mixture and other emissions control "enhancements". Problem is most Q-jets get pillaged once they are in the boneyard for a little while. People grab the jets and hanger's and meetering rods or other parts/linkage off of them. DON'T grab one that is not complete unless you know what it will need and know where to get it.

Getting one off of another 350 will net you a carb with at least the baseline setting you will need for the rods/jets/hanger for another 350. I've robbed rods/jets/hanger off of everything from a 305 to 500" caddy's and there is a difference between the two. trying re-tune a carb off of a 454 BB or 500 cad back to a 350 mean's you'd need the 350 spec parts anyway, which is fine if you know what that is... Getting a carb off of a 350 saves some of the tuning BS.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Good info, thanks, bro.:thumb: