Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a bunch of parts I need to get rid of, but I have no money right now.
    Do junkyards commonly accept "trades" instead of cash? I mean, can I trade them my transfercase I own, for one of their transfercases? Or my engine for a simular priced part?? Is this possible? I hope so..
    I will call around soon, but just thought I'd ask first...

Thanks

2. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Just have them give you cash and use the cash for parts if they don't do a straight up exchange...

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So they will give me money for the parts?
    Thanks

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I've never seen a yard give money for any parts. They rarely give money for whole cars, maybe $50-100

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

that is what I have seen.... I brought them a ton of crap and said... Id like to give you this.. the guy was like I aint gonna give you any cash for it... I looked at him and said... ID LIKE TO " GIVE " YOU THIS CRAP!!!! :haha:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

your lives suck.

Mayb e its just that I actually know what I'm doing but I've made a LOT of money over the years scrapping stuff. You don't just take a pile of parts and say "here". I load up all my heavy steel (axles, cast iron tcases, engine blocks, heads, on qjet intakes) stuff like that in my truck, jump on the scale and get it weighed, tell them I have #1 stuff for them, unload it in the #1 bin and I get paid for it. Cars? we make good money off of cars. Dad used to have a side business with his old Chevy Tow truck towing junkers to the yard. Load them up full of scrap steel and its good to go. When we moved we got rid of so much stuff it was insane. Made some good money off of that. I scrap aluminum all the time. Working at a dealership anytime I replace a rim I keep it. One rim got me $13 the other day at the yard. The yards I go to suck too. I just don't feel like driving the 15 minutes to a good one. Hell I've made decent money off of tin before. Just load the truck with scrap sheet metal, throw it over the hill into their pile and get weighed before and after. Scrapping is the major reason I need a 3/4 ton truck. I overload my C2500 scrapping stuff all the time.

Do the yards around you guys suck that much? There is one locally that pays nothing for scrap. But he has really cheap parts and likes my dad and I so I take him stuff just to keep on his good side now and again.

7. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Same here.

I had to unload a 350 (quickly) when I was moving back from California. Nobody'd give me anything for it, so I finally GAVE it to a junkyard so I wouldn't have to move it.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So I am looking at selling the parts instead?

Back to square one :o

9. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i wont hurt to ask them.tell them what you have and what youneed.maby you can work a deal with them.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I think we're talking about the difference between a recyling scrap yard and an auto wrecking yard.
    For example, if I take good, sorted scrap to an actual recycling place, I get $110 per ton for sheet ferrous and $140 per ton for heavy stuff. If I were to take that same load to an auto yard, they'd just say, "no, thanks."

What 84gmcjimmy is saying is that he has good used parts that he doesn't need (not just scrap metal) and wants to parlay that into good used parts that he does need.

Unfortunately, the only way to do something like that is at a swap meet or to trade somebody on a message board like this one.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hard to say...

I know many owners of the local boneyards,I dealt with them often when I worked at one of them...they give me good deals on parts,but if I were to bring them something to "trade",I am not sure if they would go for it or not--maybe if I was trading a good engine, they would give me something worth half as much,if that..they buy whole cars for less than 100 bucks,and turn around and sell an altenator and scrap the catalitic converter ,and they are ahead of the game..to them,its just an engine--they look at it as scrap,no matter how good it might be..(until someone wants to buy it--then suddenly its worth top dollar!)..

Most of the yards here have so many cars and trucks and such a high volume,they literally give stuff away cheap,or simply crush it,since its 110 bucks a ton now..they probably would only pay you scrap value and nothing more for items you wanted to trade...yards here are looking to make money,not trade stuff for the most part..since I know the owners well,they might make an exception if it were me looking to trade something..I have GIVEN them junk cars when scrap was only 10-15 bucks a ton,just to get rid of them!--they remember that when I come looking for parts later!..

If the transfer case you dont need is a desireable one they know they could sell easily,and the one you need is a "dime a dozen" variety,they might let you swap it for the one you need..only way to find out is to ask..

I asked around at the boneyards if anyone wanted to buy my 79 C10--they all said the same thing..drive it on the scale!!:eek1: ---no thanks,I'll keep it if all I can get is 250-300 bucks in scrap for it--no sense in crushing a decent truck--I'm not THAT desparate for cash yet--but I might be soon!:(

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh I guess I'm spoiled, all the "Auto Salvage Yards" around here, also scrap metal...

13. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Of the three yards I have worked in, none could accept parts. We need the car and the title or it can look like a chop shop. Every part sold is attached to a vin # thats listed on your invoice.
    I am talking parts not scrap.