Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junkyard score on electric fans, got a question also

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 23, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

For $.17 shy of three Jacksons, I walked out of the Pick A Part in south Fresno with not one, but two Ford Parts with the number 8C607 imbedded into the plastic. This would be that cat sucking two speed electric fan out of a 3.8L Ford.

My first item on the agenda will be checking to make sure they run. Then I will start the process of gathering the other parts to swap this baby into the Stock Wannabe Prerunner K5 before the 'Fest.

I checked it out against my spare radiator and the shroud doesn't engulf the whole radiator. Should I worry 'bout this?

How far back from the radiator should this sit? Or should it be right up against it?

That's it for now. If I feel I got game, I'll do a write-up about my upcoming misadventure with this swap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You want the shroud to be right up against the radiator. How much of the surface does it cover? If you have at least 80% coverage then I would guess that you'll be all right. </font>

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yep, it covers about 80%. If what the public says about the cat sucking abilities of this fan being true, I shouldn't worry too much.

I saw a small pusher fan that I almost grabbed, but was worried about space between the grill and fan motor. It might of been perfect for covering that uncovered side /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/taurus/

this might help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Read it 14 times before I went shopping today. Thank you. I remembered the pics and went back to look. Unfortunately my mind doesn't register pics unless the subject matter is wooly farm animals /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i did the same swap 2 weeks ago, but i installed 2 side by side. has got to be one of the best mods i have ever done. the air these things pull is amazing, i'll never go back to a mechanical fan. i have mine setup to run both speeds low or high or off for deep water crossings with a flip of a switch. between the fans, relays and wiring i have a total of $130.00 into mine, way cheaper than the $550.00 flex-a-lite wanted for thier setup. you want the fan shroud to sit against the radiator. good luck with your swap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

You're running two of these things side side by side????? You happen to have any pics?

8. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i don't have any pics yet but i can get some by this weekend. it took a little thinking and some fabbing to get both to fit. i had to swap my rad. for one with a wider core then trim some plastic off the shrouds and attach them together and then mount them vertically to the rad with some brackets. all in all it's not too hard. i have never really got a straight answer on c.f.m rating but it cools my 455 no problem with the fans on low. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Everything I read, people were saying 2000cfm.

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It will work great. My Taurus fan is mounted in the center of the radiator, and when it's on, it'll cool until my thermostat closes. I have it mounted right up to the radiator and rigged with a switch to turn it on manually. I had enough room between the flex fan and radiator to mount the Taurus fan also, so I have the flex fan with the electric...works great!

11. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

What's the amp rating on your alternator?

13. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

its a 100 amp.for now but i'm going to get at least a 140 amp unit.

14. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Dont have a Taurus fan, just a 16" Permacool HD unit. Was just under $110 shipped. 13AMP draw and pulls 2500CFM...dont ask me why but the 12" and 14" versions pull 2950 CFM!! Anyway went with an adjustable thermo switch w/ manual power via aux relay. Look at my webshots under Mods.II ..... MY GF has a Taurus and I really dont want anything from it on my rig at all.