Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Oct 5, 2001.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

Jun 24, 2001
    i have a 87 k5 and i am looking to put a dana 60 in the front with 4.10 gears, when i go to the junkyard i am not really sure what else to tell him though about the dana 60, and ideas would be appreciated
  2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    Well, one thing to make sure of is that it IS a D60. I've read about guys thinking D44's were 60's..........so if you need a way to ID it, two ways that I know of.

1. The passenger side mount to springs has only ONE u-bolt. The inboard side is two bolts through the spring plate into the housing.
    2. I believe they have a '60' cast into them. I say 'believe' because even tho I wire wheeled mine down to the bare metal I don't remember the 60 casting. Doesn't mean it isn't there, I just don't remember. CRS.........if you know what I mean.

Pics of my D60 from the front is on my site below - click the link and check out the one ton conversion page.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>
  3. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Apr 10, 2001
    The easiest way to recognize one is the steering arm. The steering arm on a dana 60 has 4 bolts in a square pattern holding it to the knuckle.
    A dana 70 also has this pattern but they are all drum brakes.
    A dana 44 has three bolts in kind of a bent linepattern.
    Check out the link in my sig for some good drawings of a dana 60.

Some days I just pray for spontaneous combustionhttp://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual