Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jury rigged/ghetto rigged things on your truck?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Mar 17, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have been working on cars and trucks all week. My friend has an old Chevy 3/4 ton truck that is the most rednecked out thing I have ever seen. Its has a 4" suspension, 3" body, and misc. welded lift, and 38's, The guy who had it before him lowered the t-case 2" with huge pieces of metal, which he welded. He has all sorts of wierd metal brackets welded on there, for the brake lines, clutch linkage, transfer case linkage, throttle linkage, and some other stuff we couldn't figure out. We are trying to make it actually functional by fixing all of his f*** ups. We just used an old trampoline spring for the clutch spring, since the old one was a bungee cord. The clutch actually feels really good! He had the gas tank mounted in the bad, and it was loose. We got one for a Suburban aand stuck it in there, but had to cut a hole in the bed, and run a hose up there to fill it with. It leaks like crazy. He welded the reciever hitch to the bumper, and the bumper to the frame, using a lot of strange looking pieces of metal I'm sure he just found lying around...about 300 feet of wires going nowhere, and an air filter that is basically collapsed...the top of the air cleaner has a hole in it too....also lots of pieces of metal randomly welded to the front of the frame, not seeming to serve any purpose...who else has some stories?

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

you should see the home-brew receiver hitch on my 77 gmc k25.... it looks o.k. from the outside, in fact I sort of like the way it looks.. it bolts to the bumper and uses minimal amounts of space, but underneath, looking at how it was reinforced, yikes. its scary.. a ghetto configuration of iron bars, bolts, etc leading back to some cross members and stuff. I would have thought twice about towing anything heavy with that truck. luckily its a parts truck and I have a custom reese receiver hitch already bolted up..

jury rigged.. hmm Im sure I can think of a few "quick fixes" .. how about an 8d nail for a cotter pin (in the ball joints/tie rod ends).. hey it worked /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

or how about the tie-down used as a permanent battery hold-down? im sure there are others but my mind is blank..

i actually try not to jury rig stuff if i can help it.. on my new truck I will never do it

mike

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Please, dear god , tell me you took pictures !

4. liv'n-large

liv'n-large Registered Member

How about 5/8nuts welded to the u joint straps to keep the u joint from walking around in the yoke after breaking the retaining tits off the yoke, or a stack of a quarter nickel and a dime to hold your wing mirror shut to get rid of that annoying whistle. What about using a copenhagen can lid to hold your hub locked in becouse your spring broke inside the hub. Or even hose clamping a cut 1 liter bottle on the rear of a 208 to get you home when you loose a u joint and the nearest parts store is 30niles away.

5. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I made a towing rig. I took a good length of HEAVY DUTY cable and connected it with some logging chain with hooks, wrapped it around the frame and hooked it to some oles in the frame. When I need to pull something out of a ditch or out from under a pile of junk i take out the chain and it comes out from under my rear bumper and out to a v where I can hook one hook to the other chain or have to hook up. I also took u=out my center console and drilled some hole in a plastic deal and bolted it in place. It has 2 cup holders places for ammo and a spot just perfect for my .357 magnum. I've done other crap but you'll have to let me think about them, and that means it could be awhile before it happens. i dont think too much.

6. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

VICE GRIPS to hold my steering box to the frame so i could
    get my jeep out of hells revenge
    on my ford the front drive line came through the foor so i cut up washing machine for a repair panel to keep stuff from fallin out