Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jus t Got the Headers Installed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RiceDaddy, Apr 27, 2002.

1. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

Just finished installing some Dynomax headers on my rig. Took me and by buddy about three hours total. Headers fit real nice. Spent some time wrestling with the A/C compressor brackets and power steering bracket, but no real issues with the install. Pretty simple deal. Truck sounds really sweet. I was impressed with the quality of the headers. We'll see how they do long term. One question though, the wiring to the starter is extremely close to one of the primaries. Have you guys with headers wrapped these wires with insulating material? It seems like these would melt pretty quickly under operating temps.

2. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

I had a problem with both wiring and starter until I installed a GM Gear Deduction type starter (smaller than the normal stock type)...been on for 2 years and not one problem. FYI

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

my wires are basically woven under the headers by the previous owner. I have no troubles thus far in the past year.

4. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the install. I was thinking of the Dynomax, but they are a little cheaper than the other headers so I was unsure. What type of exhaust system and mufflers are you using? I want to try one of the pre-built exhaust systems out there. I have a 78 Jimmy with single exhaust I would like to install headers on.

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

where did you have you passenger side crossover to the cat? i have these headers and they're about 6 inches longer than i was expecting...they look like they'll prob crossover at the stock point.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My starter wire is wrapped with heat shield stuff, like what is used on spark plug heads. I check that wire often and haven't found any damage thru the wrapping.

7. RiceDaddy

I just have the open headers right now. I had the stock single cat, single muffler exhaust, but the muffler was rusted through in several places as well as the tailpipes. I was just going to swap out the muffler and tails, but the performance bug got me. I started removing exhaust pieces, until I decided, why not rip it all out. Next week I plan to take it to a muffler shop and have them fab up some duals, no cats, probably Flowmasters, and a balance tube. Looking at running 2.25 inch pipes as my engine is relatively stock. Only tuff part is squeezing in the h-pipe somewhere.

8. RiceDaddy

I'm going to run duals from the headers with no cats. Right now, everything downstream of the headers is off the truck. I'll let everyone know how my trip to the muffler shop goes. I'm going to work with them on the routing of the pipes and balance tube.

9. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Anyone here running block hugger style headers? If not, why? I was thinking of getting a pair through "SPEEDWAY MOTORS" They have HPC coated inside and out block huggers for $169.00 and that seemed like a cheaper way out. Also no worries with the starter it looks like.

10. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have had dynomax headers on my rig for four years now.No problems and these were used when I got them on trade. I just put a set on my Crew cab today.I would wrap the wires with some type of shieldwrap.I need to do this to the Crew Cab.

11. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I am installing a pair of block hugger headers from sanderson probably next week, along with a complete exhaust. I will see if i can get around to posting some picks of it. I do not know if it will apply to your situation, since the motor i am putting in my blazer is not chervrolet.