Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just a couple of technical questions for y'all

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just a couple of technical questions for y\'all

Getting close to the end of my Blazer project. The interior will have to wait, but the outside is nearly done. Some final questions:

1. The manual says that my Corp14ff came from the factory with RTV sealant on the axle ends but to use the metal gaskets when rebuilding it. Gaskets? RTV? Both?

2. Anybody else buy that mega-fat front tie rod from ORD and put on a steering stabilizer? Where did you get the bracket from or will the generic Rancho, etc. bracket fit?

3. Anybody run kicker shocks? Given the choice between kicker shocks and nothing, will they help with axle wrap at all? At some point down the line I will be doing some kind of traction bar, but not for a while.

4. For those of you with a front ARB, did you use the light blue plastic line that came with it, or something else? I could swear I saw a kit with a coiled line in it somewhere. My kit just has a roll of plastic line and I am trying to figure out how I want to set it up.

5. Going to get new steel rims. Going to run Goodyear MTR 315/75R16's. Should I go 16x8 or 16x10 on a Rockcrawler steel rim? Or should I rethink alloys?

6. Went with ORD shackle reverse and 2" TC springs in the rear, 6" TC springs up front. Ordered some 1" zero rates for the rear from ORD but haven't put them on yet. Should I just do it or wait and see how it looks after everything is done? Will I ultimately need them anyway?

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Re: Just a couple of technical questions for y\'all

Some thots:

[ QUOTE ]

1. The manual says that my Corp14ff came from the factory with RTV sealant on the axle ends but to use the metal gaskets when rebuilding it. Gaskets? RTV? Both?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used RTV only.

[ QUOTE ]

4. For those of you with a front ARB, did you use the light blue plastic line that came with it, or something else? I could swear I saw a kit with a coiled line in it somewhere. My kit just has a roll of plastic line and I am trying to figure out how I want to set it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used -3 braided stainless hose on the customer's Project YJ. I've seen that self-coiling air hose used too.

[ QUOTE ]

5. Going to get new steel rims. Going to run Goodyear MTR 315/75R16's. Should I go 16x8 or 16x10 on a Rockcrawler steel rim? Or should I rethink alloys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ride quality and stopping ability will be better with alloy wheels (lower unsprung weight). Rock 'proofness' is better with steel. Depends on your use. I prefer narrower wheels.

3. Desert Rat

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking the RTV would seal better than the gaskets which are just aluminum I believe. Most of my wheeling is out in the desert doing exploration. Mostly medium trails with stream crossings, minor rock crawling, some mud, and a little sand. Kind of an all around little bit of everything.

Anybody else?

4. Desert Rat

TTT

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Run RTV on the D70HD. The last few FF's I rebuilt ran with RTV also. No issues that werent "operator error" induced.

6. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4. I run the blue line to my 10-bolt /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif with enough play between a fix point at the crossmember and a zip tie to the axle breather line. I consider going to braided/stainless as I have for the rear; so far no problems with the blue line.

5. I'm running those very same tires on 16x8 on black rockcrawlers; I like the way the sidewall bulges; of course, I don't do anything with the truck that involves speeds where a bulging sidewall would present handling issues.

7. Desert Rat

Maybe I'll try the blue line first and see how it goes. I thought I read somewhere (perhaps in a write up) that the HD line that ARB sells doesn't work as good as the lighter stuff anyways. I have four black rockcrawler Daytona style rims now that I was contemplating replacing. They are obviously 16's but I can't find anywhere on them that says how wide. I guess if I keep them, I will pull the Big O tires off them and measure. I wouldn't mind shedding some weight though with alloys.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you go to a tire store, they will have a "rim caliper" that can measure the width without removing the tire.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RTV only.

[ QUOTE ]
    Anybody else buy that mega-fat front tie rod from ORD and put on a steering stabilizer? Where did you get the bracket from or will the generic Rancho, etc. bracket fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a mega-fat tie rod from rockstomper and run WTO hydro assist, does that could? Weld 2 tabs on the housing and 2 on the tie rod and you're set.

[ QUOTE ]
    3. Anybody run kicker shocks? Given the choice between kicker shocks and nothing, will they help with axle wrap at all? At some point down the line I will be doing some kind of traction bar, but not for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, if I wanted a simple way to slow down axle wrap, I'd prolly just get some snail-wrapped springs from deaver. They would be way better than stock springs or standard lift springs.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

16s? ugh, limited tire selection. At any rate, for those tires, I'd prolly go 16x8. I do some rocks, so I prefer steel. I'd definitely run forged aluminum rims tho if I was rich...

[ QUOTE ]
    6. Went with ORD shackle reverse and 2" TC springs in the rear, 6" TC springs up front. Ordered some 1" zero rates for the rear from ORD but haven't put them on yet. Should I just do it or wait and see how it looks after everything is done? Will I ultimately need them anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hold on to them and see how the rig looks after you've lifted it and run it for a while to get the springs to settle down. You may or may not need them, to many factors to know for sure. IMO, they are handy to have around to help relocate axles if nothing else. I run them front and rear in my rig.

j