Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just a few more parts... need some advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by misterfnygy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

Okay, I am sure that I have read it here before but there is just way too much info when I search.
    I have a 75 blazer that runs and barely drives right now. I have a d44/14bff, wheels and tires ready to go.
    Here is my dilemna- the small block and the th350 in the truck are a little tired. I have a stroker ready to assemble. Since I really want to build it right I need to swap the tranny. While I am at it I want to put in a 205 TC. Herein lies the question-

I have two choices and have found most of the parts for both-
    #1- th400 tranny, recently rebuilt for $150 located about 1/2 hour away. If I go this route I need to find a t case and adaptor, probably another $4-500 which is in the budget. ????- will my current torque convertor fit the 400????

#2- Swap to a manual- sm465- and 205 t-case. I found a donor truck that has all of the parts I need for the swap. $500 and about 250 miles round trip. ????- can I get a flywheel that is externally balanced to work with my stroker motor????

I know that the manual would last forever and really is the way I want to go. The th400 would be second choice.

So I guess it boils down to one question- can I get an externally balanced flywheel for the 400 crank??

So for the long post but this is about the last info I need. Thanks for the advice!!!

2. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

unless my memory is really getting bad in my old age - the sbc 400's were externally balanced.

3. misterfnygy

and that is why I need to know if I can get a flywheel for it.

4. misterfnygy

never mind- found it. Just had to look in the right place-- Thanks!!