Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just a few opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Oct 23, 2003.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

Just a new guy checken out the cool site. just to get every thing out of the way I have a 78 blazer stock 400,350,203 part time kit,d44,cp12. as of now no lift with 32's (fender triming). well to get to the point, I just wanted to know what up grade should I invest my money in first. All opinions are welcome thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard to the site....Here is what i have found and other's i'm sure will chime in and agree...

Personally I make sure everything is mechanically sound, No leaks, everything feel tight? Engine run stong, need more horsies, maybe try a upgrade to the ignition system and a edelbrock performer intake. Starts everytime...etc etc.... In MY opinion any problems not addressed before lifting, and other non-neccesitative upgrade will just kick you in the butt before you know it.

From there,locker, winch, custom bumpers, etc etc....lift and tires will get you places but 32-33 range you can get through most moderate stuff, I wheeled mine hard for 2 years on 31's got a feel for the game and upgraded from there.

As mentioned once you have your drivetrain engine and main steering braking stuff straight you can hop up to the cooler stuff...

Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What do you plan on doing with it? Mudding,Rock crawling,Show truck?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

welcome to the best full size chevy site on the planet! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AFA upgrades, I think there are 2 things we need to know from you first.

a) what is the rig going to be used for (street, show, rocks, mud, sand, trails, some combo of these...)

b) how much $ you're looking to invest

for general build up ideas, thats all we really need to know, but any other info you can toss in there like what size tyres you'd like to run etc would be useful. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Please fill your profile out further....I looked there to see where you were from. If you lived in the rust belt, I would have suggested staying with no lift and just trimming the fenders. Makes clearance and removes the nasty stuff while keeping your center of gravity lower. (Wish I had fully checked out the rust thing before ordering my lift.)

Keep it simple, and welcome to the sight....

6. screamer*145

Sorry about the lateness but I just fineshed rebuilding the carb (Q-jet) I did all the most if not all regular Maintenance so it runs strong. for now it is my DD and trail/mud machine. Yes I do live in the rust belt (MN) but no rust on my K5 went through the body last winter hurculined inside and underneth /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. thanks for the wecome guys! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Pick the right gears for the combo early on, and get them installed. Sometimes these get put on the way back seat after the other mods are done.

8. screamer*145

[ QUOTE ]
    Pick the right gears for the combo early on, and get them installed. Sometimes these get put on the way back seat after the other mods are done.

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldent i just be better off getting 3/4 ton gear with some 4.10s ( I dont see the point in wasting money in 1/2 ton running gear), and I know that the front ends are the same if I can find the 3/4 font end it allready has 4.10's and well a 14ff are just great! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

wow your all over it, hurculiner 3/4ton. Youll fit right in here! As far as mud/trail stuff try to keep the centre of gravity low so you can have fun on the off camber stuff, and just get realy wide tires. probly wouldnt go much bigger than 35s for trail work and whith the k-5s shorter wheelbase they can do perty good in mud whith 35s too.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you go 3/4 ton, throw a Detroit locker in the back while you are at it. You will out do many rigs with lifts and larger tires. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Welcome to the site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. screamer*145

ya, I was thinking of a four inch fit and some 35x15. what would be a better tire a tsl swamper or a tsl radial. and has anyone herd of a company coalled Genuine Suspension and if they are any good (saw the add in a four wheeler mag.) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

!Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Genuine suspension is the crap that 4WPW sells and is the same as Pro-Comp or Rough Country. They're STIFF too. If you don't mind a rough ride, you'll be fine with them.

13. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

It would be a good idea to go ahead and brace the area around/behind your steering box, cause it'll eventually crack. Get the weld in brace and the bolt on brace from Off Road Design.

Will

14. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I am amazed that no one has said it yet....................a membership to ck5.com is a very valuable upgrade, highly recomended.

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

You are correct sir, going 3/4 ton or so with the gear ratio you need is usually the cheapest and easiest way to regear - with the added benefit of more strength and reliability....Keep your eyes peeled for those 8 lug rims.

16. screamer*145

I shall get the membership to day, as for the steering brace it will be my first hop-upbut do I realy need the weldin one, do you guys think that 4.10 gears will be good for 35x15,also what tire is better and how long will it last the swamper tsl or some ground hawgs.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

groundhawgs will outlast a LOT of tires because the tread compound is HARD...

18. screamer*145

will they give a harsh ride /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. screamer*145

20. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    will they give a harsh ride /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Any bias ply tire will /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif