Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just a few thoughts from a member

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Most of you have probably read the thread by now, and if you haven't, then that's okay; I really don't feel like rehashing the whole thing. But there is one thing that was said in the thread that I feel should be brought up as it pertains to the site and the sport of off-roading in general.

In the two years I've been here, the one thing that has been a constant is that everyone is welcomed here. We have people from all walks of life (yes chevyfumes, you count /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) from all over the country and even some people from foreign countries. These people are come here looking for something and we all know what that is.

Now what I want to go into is this, what are the main goal(s) around here? I'm sure there will be several different answers. Think about that for a minute though. Why are you here? I know why I am here. I have a dream, a shot in the dark for the most part, and some of you may know what that dream is if you've followed me in the tech forums for any amount of time. A lot of us have a goal for our vehicle and we know what we want out of our vehicles and thus, we have converged here to study, to dream and to brag. We share our knowledge amongst each other and most of us are strangers to most everyone else. We shoot ideas off each other and we trade parts. For the most part, we are recreational 4 wheelers are build trucks for the trail. We also have members who own a Blazer just for the versatility it offers and have no plans to hit the Rubicon with it. There are others with 2wd Blazers, Suburbans and what not. That's a pretty good cross section, a little variety if you will. So far there has not been one problem that I have seen with the variety of owners here. Until now.

For those that missed it, the summary of what was said is that if someone would like to talk about a different facet of the sport of off-road, then go do it at another site. It's not important to say who suggested this, it's public record; but one, as a member of this site and two, as one who supports the off-road arena anyway I possibly can, I find this suggestion an embarassment.

The suggestion is an embarassment cause it shows that the writer of the statement is prejudiced against other forms of off-road involvement. Last time I checked, we didn't have a required off-road activity we participated in order to join here. Since I am not Steve Fox or talk to him, I do not know how he feels about the variety of off-road interests that are here. If I was an outside Internet surfer participating in let's say mud running, and I came in here looking for information and read that mud runners were the spawn of Satan and were not hardcore, I would say 95% of the time, I would go somewhere else to find information.

It took me about two years of knowing about this site before I finally signed up and believe it or not, my first post was a tech question in the Audio Forum. I looked around not figuring to stay around too long since as most of you know, I'm not a big fan of rockcrawling and nasty trails. I'll go watch and if asked, write about it later; but my dream for my truck lays somewhere out in the flatlands. Throughout my time here I've found other members whose interests lay in the same area and some of them have moved on, and some of them are new, but up until yesterday, no one ever said they had a problem with us around here. And if you haven't noticed, there are regular members around here that are content to have a really cool daily drivers.

So with all of that laid out, should we allow blatant and outright prejudice against a fellow member just because their views and dreams are not the same?

Furthermore, actions like that can reflect on the membership as a whole and can drive people away. I've talked to other people who have left other sites for various reasons and it's that same prejudicial attitude that a small, but very vocal minority shows towards a person just because they may have a differing opinion or interest. Yes, most boards are topic specific, with some having a much narrower target audience than others. Yet, on some of these boards one cannot just say "hey, I saw this here, can you tell me why it won't work here?" and the next thing you know, another potential contributer of information/student of the game has been turned off cause the individuals who are put to the task were not abused with the manners stick when they were still in their formative years.

Is that what y'all want to happen around here? Do we want to get so focused in on one specific area of our sport that other C/K5, Sub owners who are looking for information on rebuilding a 10 bolt rearend will be chastised just for asking such a question, yet we never knew that the 10 bolt rearend belonged to a truck that never gets wheeled and is driven by some elderly man who doesn't drive over 55mph?

Like I said above, I'm not a fan of driving hardcore trails, but the information I have learned is invaluable and helps me so before you make the decision that so and so who participates in an off-road activity that is foreign to you, instead of turning on the /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif switch over to full auto, take a step back and learn something.

DISCLAIMER: This is not intended as a flame towards anyone, this is just my opinions and observations.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I'm lost. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I guess I missed what this came from.

------------------------------------------------------------

For those that missed it, the summary of what was said is that if someone would like to talk about a different facet of the sport of off-road, then go do it at another site. It's not important to say who suggested this, it's public record; but one, as a member of this site and two, as one who supports the off-road arena anyway I possibly can, I find this suggestion an embarassment.

The suggestion is an embarassment cause it shows that the writer of the statement is prejudiced against other forms of off-road involvement. Last time I checked, we didn't have a required off-road activity we participated in order to join here. Since I am not Steve Fox or talk to him, I do not know how he feels about the variety of off-road interests that are here. If I was an outside Internet surfer participating in let's say mud running, and I came in here looking for information and read that mud runners were the spawn of Satan and were not hardcore, I would say 95% of the time, I would go somewhere else to find information.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i have noticed a little of what your talking about. I realy think the most "targeting" is aimed at the off road racers of the group (i think this is what your getting at BRB). I realy think people should open thier eyes and see how cool it would be to drive acrost flats at about 50mph in a compact truck /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. There are many fasets to this wonderfull hobby, to focus on one to the point of flamming people in other fields is wrong and discourgaging.
    Oh and i aplaud you for stabding up like this for us little guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I know I'm pro 14 bolt FF, but that's couse it fits my needs. I see alot of people running 10 bolt and 12 bolt for the clearence. I think however you decide to build your truck is completely up to you. I hope nobody gets turned off from this site becouse some people have different opinions on how to build a truck. It all comes down to what you're going to use it for. I for one like reading about the different styles of building trucks. I'm learning so much !!!!!!! I hope everyone else is to.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I haven't found the thread yet...please post a link. If it's been deleted or moved update us. At best I can only give you a pretty generic opinion.

My goals or reasons for being here are as follows:
    Socialize with people that have the same general interests that I do. First and foremost it has to be fun or why bother?
    I'm here to learn and research for current and future projects on my truck. I routinely tap into the incredibly deep well of knowledge that the people here collectively represent. I try and take the time to pass on whatever knowledge i may have in order to help others when i can.

This is a brand and even somewhat period/model specific site. However I do not feel animosity toward anyone with a truck that doesn't fit the demographic. There are cool Dodge and Ford and Toyota and Jeep owners here too...it's all good. Same goes for whatever brand of wheeling someone prefers. I don't like mud...but that doesn't mean I think nobody should build mud trucks. There are many mods that cross over in purpose.

Frankly I don't care what your reason for owning a K5 or whatever is. The majority here are all good people and with that should come a variety of 'builds' from stock, to rock buggy, weekend warrior, mud beast, to daily driver or tow rig...it's all good.

Without the good people on this site i wouldn't stay long enough to log in...

Rene

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I read that thread and was rather shocked at the response that was given in some of the posts. I thought about joining in but decided that what i had to say would be better left unsaid. And would just like to say that I'm with you 100%. I'm not a huge fan of some aspects of the sport of off roading but i won't bring another member down because of my prejudice.

I just hope that this incident does not detur you from the site. I know I'm a newbie but I enjoy reading your side comments.

Word to your mother... peace out! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Im not a big fan of editing threads but at this point i think it should be done. Everytime i go to the garage i look at that and am immediately dissapointed. It goes against everything that this site is meant to be. Fun for the whole family and information for anyone who is looking to gain it.

7. Red72blazer

Red72blazer Registered Member

I don't know anything about what happened but I thought everyone was a member becuase they like chevy's.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I am here for many reasons as I own many trucks that each will have a purpose someday /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I came here after getting my 79 K10 daily driver. But quickly found I should have got here earlier because the wealth of knowledge is deep and spans GM vehicles from 1936 to present day (plus many other makes as other multi-brand owners conglomerate around here).

I dont want to go to a site like this and have everyone tell me to run a 14 bolt axle in my 79 when I wont take it over any tough terrain. I need it as something that can go over a mountain highway in a snow storm.

Now my trail rig (62 Jimmy Concept) and tow rig (54 IHC COE) are long projects and will be fun and I may have to bug all my sources to get them together right the first time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

14-v-9

10. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

there are other chevy sites and there are other blazer sites, but there is only one ck5, the guy that put this all together did a good job of it and is now international and diverse, like you, these are just my opinions and i can only speak from my experience.

while surfing the web and lookin for 4x4 sites i came across this one, then i happened to see a blazer at a car lot and bought it. maybe its like "what came first, the chicken or the egg", could be a long argument.

i have always liked the looks of the early trucks and i really like my blazer, i suppose that is why there are so many people on this site, sometimes i guess it is a love hate relationship.

because there is such a diversity of people here from all over the country it makes things interesting, variety is the spice of life, eh. depending on what part of the country you live in kind of dictates what kind of wheeling you can do, unless you are just building up a rig to be doing it. there is always a money factor, right?

some people have rocks to crawl, some have mud, some have sand, some like the trails goin from point a to point b and then some are lucky enough to have it all to choose from. we are fortunate to have all this experience to choose from and take the direction we want to go.

i have found, in my life experience anyway, that with as many people that come to this site, there will be differing views, not everyone will get along, i think that is human nature, even with a common bond. people who have been in the military have probably experienced this.

this site rocks and its the people that come here that make it rock. if it was just one specific type of wheeling that was bein discussed i would probably go somewhere else if that wasnt my cup of tea. its the diversity that makes it great.

thats just my 2 cents......i've still got a lot to learn, so keep up the good work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

I came for help with my '87 Blazer when having problems with passing inspection. Other forums didn't seem to have time. After coming here, WOW, immediate answers were given. I haven't looked at many Chevy forums, but when I stopped in here, that was the end of my quest. I can't imagine any other forum being more organized or helpful. I'm not having any problems right now with the Blazer but if I do, I know where to go.

I hope to, whenever possible, be able to help in the answering of basic questions.....and to modify my Blazer someday soon. But right now we are happy with it as a daily driver.

Meanwhile, down at the Non 4X4 forum, there is always something going on there. Is there anything you want to discuss, ask, give opinion, scream, be joyful, cry, laugh, tell a story, joke, inform others about or even have a contest, go there. I like hearing what all of the ck5 people have to say.

There are compassionate people here. In the short time since I've been here, I have seen beautiful acts of kindness, whether in physical giving or in words of encouragement. These are the kind of people I want to socialize with. It feels like family and friends. Yes, it gets lonely and boring around hear sometimes and I may get too much time on my hands but ck5 provides me with the company I need.

I don't come here to judge anyone elses interests. As long as they aren't hurting anyone then more power to them.

In a nutshell, I come here for help with my Blazer questions, would like to help others with their questions, to socialize and to possibly be involved with the charitable end of ck5 as well. I feel ck5 is more than just a forum, and am glad to be part of it.

Our ck5's or subs are the one thing that binds us all together.

Just my 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

agreed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll chime in with one simple thought that I've been pondering for the last couple days:

Is it just me, or has the collective intelligence of this group improved DRAMATICALLY over the last 2 years?? I'm totally serious....

When I first joined the board, it seemed like there weren't as many folks "well versed" in what's involved in a 1-TON swap, or how to identify part X, or how to repair item Y. Perhaps it's because I was just starting to learn and couldn't fully "absorb" all the knowledge that was being sent my way.....but I seem to recall a select few members were giving a LOT of the tech help around here.

These days, many more folks have the understanding and expertise to help out the group. I think that over those last couple of years our "knowledge base" has deepened considerably!!!

So here's the point I think is relevant:

This site has allowed ALL of us to learn things at a MUCH faster rate (and at a much lower cost) than anyone could ever hope to on their own. If you only had access to a handful of local "experts"....how long would it take you to learn what you know from CK5?....and would you truly get the "complete" picture, or only a skewed sense of what's possible, based on the prejudices of your "local help"??

I'd argue that this site (with it's 10,000 or so users) has created an exponential learning curve for those of us who have been a part of it. The speed at which we now learn about new ideas, or ways to solve problems is staggering. I would argue that the information is coming faster than most of us can even make use of it!!!!

Maybe THIS is why there is a certain amount of "intolerance" these days on the board. We are SO accustomed to learning new things so fast, that it seems almost painful to have to answer questions that have already been covered???

I don't know if this phenomenon has been observed by others here or not. I just know that if I hadn't found CK5 and the membership here....my truck would be a much different vehicle (read: incomplete and full of weak points) than it is today.

....and for the record, I don't mind the occasional bickering here, or some of the "strong" personalities. I find that sometimes a few folks like that tend to make you "think" about your questions and answers a bit more carefully before posting..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, those are my random thoughts....from a guy who hasn't even been here 2 years yet!

14. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Greg-

It's comments like those that make a guy want to shake your hand. I think you have hit it on the head. I too have been around for just about 2 years now (1yr 11mo) and even then, answers came quick. Now it seems to me like people around here who had the answers back then have moved on to bigger and better mods on their rigs. Now, its up to different people to answer those same questions. You see, after answering all the tire size, gear ratio, tranny combo questions that we ALL had in the beginning... it gets a little old answering those same questions. We HAVE to remember that all of us started somewhere, and few of us walked onto the scene at CK5 knowing everything there is to know about K/C/V trucks, Subs, S10s, etc. How are all the people that are just coming to CK5 now expected to learn all this information?

On to SEARCHING. I agree, searching is a great tool that can uncover MUCH information, knowledge and expereince from CK5 posts over the ages. However, searching doesn't deliver one of ColoradoK5's best features... the great personalities and one-on-one conversations that occur in threads that match EXACTLY your situation, not something you found thru a search that is ALMOST what you need an answer to.

Long story short, if I had come to CK5 2 years ago and been told to search for my answers... no telling where I would be today. Its thru the help of guys like thatk30guy, TrustyK5, CaptCrunch, m_j, Dorian, Mudzer, Reddog64, and MANY others that have helped along the way with intelligent and helpful responses to even my most dumb questions.

I would keep going, but my wife is taking me out for lunch... so I have to go. More to come later.

-Dan

PS - Thanks to Steve Fox for the ONE BEST PLACE on the net for four wheeling info in the Chevy world! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

LOL

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Good one! I think if you look at the selection on the Main Index you will see that Steve set this site up for just about everyone. Atleast thats how I see it.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks Jim.

Rene

18. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

well I learned a few things.And got a lot of different opinions from the thread in which you are speaking.a lot of you put your opinions and your 4 wheel knownledge into it.which i like.just people going back and forth with there opinions and likes.it's good to have.if not everybody would just have one opinion and there would be nothing to explore , discuss or learn. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifi come here to try to get answers on how to work on my blazer,what will work on it,what i can do to it,how i can wheel it,and what others are doing with and to theres.it will probably differ a little or be complete oposite from what I perfer to do but it is still of interest to me.

19. 468ratman

468ratman Registered Member

I have 2 trucks. One is an 89 blazer which is all stock for now. The other is an 86 Dodge Ramcharger with a 468 ci big block chevy, race prepped th400, np205, and guess what??? a 9" sf rear axle.

Can I stay?

20. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Dude, chill. I promise 33's will fit with no lift. You will just have to trim the fenders! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif