Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just a friendly ck5 reminder...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Nov 30, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

to check your nuts. make sure they're all there. was driving home today and started getting some nasy shaking on the highway. pulled off, and just as i came to a stop i heard a loud crash. i turned the engine off immediately, looked under the hood to find that the nuts had rattled off of my water pump shaft which holds the fan to my engine! :eek1: i was amazed to find absolutely no damage! :laugh: just lost the four nuts which held that sucker on. so, at about 1 am, my buddy is coming by to bring me his nuts off of his extra engine (i don't know the thread/size) and the pulley (as the bolt holes on mine got a bit of damage rattling around). someone upstairs is taking care of me. :D

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I learned this lesson last weekend. on the way home from work my rear axle felt like it was walking around. didnt have far to go so I took it easy and got it home safely. looked under it to see what the deal was, u-bolts loosened and the center pin didnt break but it popped out of the hole and the axle slid back a little. loosened the u-bolts so I could set the axle back in correctly and noticed another very scary almost life threatening loose nut. when we shortened my wheelbase we moved the spring hangers. the front rear hanger on the passenger side was only held on with one bolt and the nut had backed off enough that there was a 1" gap between the hanger and the frame.:yikes: replaced all the bolts and nuts and checked every other u-bolt and spring hanger bolt on the truck. tomorrow Im getting all new bolts and lock nuts to replace the current ones.

3. krechj

krechj Registered Member

a few weeks after i installed the lift on my blazer i was backing out of my driveway and the truck wouldnt turn! so i pulled back in and out trying to figure out what was going on and was freaking out imagining my steering box ripped off the frame lol turns out the u bolts on the driver side front loosend themselves up and the whole axle was moving forward and back instead of the wheels... oops!

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I had just rotated the tires on my 87 the previous weekend.. monday morning I'm heading to the office, and the back end of the truck starts to wallow back and forth.. just as I'm turning off the road into a parking lot to check things out, the back of the truck just "sits down" on the road.. I gassed it, and dragged the thing up onto the apron..turns out, I had lost the rear drivers side lug nuts.

I ran back into the road, got my wheel, and thank god I keep a quality floor jack with me at all times.. I got the wheel put back on, and the only damage was the lower quarter panel, and I did manage to tweak the axle seal so it leaked.. I had only had the blazer for a few months when this happened..

anyway, now I use a torque wrench when I put wheels back on.. every damn time.

Tom

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

gotta love sig line quotes.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: