Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just a little rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Dec 17, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i crawled under my truck today to swap the front shocks to the rear and the rear shocks to the front (stock rear shocks and 6" lift front shocks, partnumbers for these are the same as 4" shocks front and rear (had 2"down travel in the rear and 3"uptravel in the front)) and i went to put the wrench on the pass side shock bolt and noticed my header was loose. looked up to see the rear most bolt missing. i had a exhaust leak on the way home from the last wheeling trip, so this was it.

the day before the wheeling trip i spliced my front driveshaft with some 1.75" tube, steel warehouse didn't have any 1.75" tube thicker than .065. i got some from darkshadow, but he only had .100 thick, i figured it would work. i looked at it and i noticed the added tube wasn't exactly round, i spun it and it wasn't straight. i got to the welded seem (HREW tube) and that was wraped about 1/4 the way around the tube. so the .100 wasn't thick enough, i have no idea when exactly i twisted it either.

so i get both front shocks off, go to the back, get the pass side shock off. roll to the driver side and i can bearly get the socket on the nut, its pointed upward a bit. then i notice a buckle on the top on the frame and another one on the bottom, my frame is bent and twisted. my truck has always sit lower in that side but i always figured it was the 1 broken leaf in that leaf pack. its right where the shock divet is to clear the shock. i look on the pass side to compare and i notice what looks like a small buckle on top also. my frame is probably also bent on that side also, but up instead of down.

i get the rear shocks off and both are bad, so there goes my swap. the best part is, my friend owes me a brand new set of shocks i traded him for a set of wheels. but he doesn't have them at his house. the front shocks i borrowed from another friend till i get the new ones from him.

now im cold, wet, and frustrated with my truck. i guess in the spring my bed comes off and i fix the frame, maybe i should hack it off and go coilover rear :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :ignore:

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

damn,TJ sounds like my luck. i seem to break something trying to fix something else. i want to sell it sometimes!!!

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

TJ, run it till it falls apart! my K10 frame that i bought to replace the one i got from you is also tweaked. no cracks in this one, just a slight tweak right in front of the cab on both sides. im gonna run it til it falls apart, the strip it to nothing, and transplant my drivetrain into something else. maybe a K5, who knows. :dunno:

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im gonna run it till the spring/summer and if i have the time/ambition, ill fix it. the main reason to fix it is to make it sit level. if it was behind the spring hanger, id leave it.

i do have a good straight, rust free, 1/2 ton longbed frame at my grandmas. thats just too much work to swap frames.