Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just a reminder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Sep 20, 2005.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Don't forget to throw the safety glasses on guys! My left eye is swelled shut right now and I was wearing mine. Hate to think what'd be happening right now if I didn't have them on!

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What happened?

:confused:

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

he said in another post that a shaving went under his safety glasses and into his eye. i've had a similar experience, but luckily, it wasn't as extreme. now I wear goggles that seal around my eyes.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I am starting to think that your average safety glasses are more of a hazard and the wrap-around style or face shield are the way to go. I seem to always manage to bounce a shaving or whatnot off the inside of the regular safety glasses :doah:

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Yep has the same thing happen to me. Was wearing just the sunglass style and I felt it get in there. Didnt bother me much till the next morning, Eyes burned and they were SOOOO sensitive to light that I couldnt open it out side.
    Went to the eye doc and they found 2 pieces in there. They tried to use the tweeziers(sp?) but they were RUSTED in my eye :eek1: They had to use this little dremal looking tool and as he said it "buzz" it out :crazy:
    Didnt bother me till the numbing stuff wore off, was down a few days till it healed.

I know where the full face shield when I can :wink1:

6. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Too many close calls with crap going under the goggles, face shields are the way to go, even use you goggles underneath.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I can report the same experience....

Simple safety glasses don't seem to do much good when grinding a 14BFF pumpkin for clearance. I got a fleck of metal in my eye, right past the goggles.

It's amazing how LARGE a tiny metal fleck feels when your eyelid is blinking over the top of it!! :yikes:

BTW -> I got the "ice cream scoop" to remove the metal, and the Dremel to smooth the edges of the injury...a few days later with my eye cream medicine and I was feeling fine (and very lucky).

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

A guy I used to work with was using a metal lathe and a piece of hot metal went right through his gogles. He only has use of one eye now.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had a similar experience more than once. Luckily my dad IS the town opthalmologist so it's a bit more convenient for me than most. I now wear a face shield with glasses or goggles underneath.