Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just about to buy another truck. Updated, Bought it, pics...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 16, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I'm going to run out and pay the man tomorrow, then figure out how to get it home...

1992 K1500 Pickup
    4.3 l
    5-speed
    223,000 miles
    Front bumper bent outta whack, rear too.
    Windshield spiderwebbed
    No brakes... The mechanic said it has a rusted out line.

The body looks great, used and dinged up, but the paint's nice.
    I couldn't start it cause the battery was dead, but I will tomorrow before handing over the cash.
    Tranny feels nice and tght in gear, not that that means anything...
    Oil is nice, antifreeze is a perty green.

For 223k, it looks pretty nice.

He's asking $995, I told him I'd take it for $800, he's fine with it and will bring me a ton of paperwork tomorrow since he's a dealer.

This is the second truck of this body style I'm checking out, so hopefully I haven't overlooked anything. Any suggestions for stuff to look for tomorrow when I'm back there?
    I'm pretty psyched... It's the best bodied 4x4 I've found around here under $1k. It's gonna be niiiiiiiice to be back in a truck again soon...

So, opinions?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would buy it. The rear end alone would bring $800 in a junk yard around here, and the front clip another $600.

As far as being a complete running truck (assuming you get it started) you can't go wrong for $800 in my opinion.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Cool, everyone under estimates the 4.3l. My grandpa has an 88. Yes it may be a little underpowered, but its only a half ton, and with the tranny, it wheels pretty decently, and can smoke the tires pretty good too! :D Good score man, assuming you get it.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not bad...

Thats a decent price IF the frame is not rotted,they seem to dissolve behind the rear wheels around here in 5-10 years--also check how rusty the brakes lines and the fuel lines are--sending units(gas tank) are another rust damage prone and expensive part to replace --often I go to install a new gas tank in a customers 88-up GM truck,and all the fuel lines,sending unit and brake lines are all crusty,and snap as soon as you disturb them--

While I'm in there I usually install a fuel pump too,so I wont have to drop the tank again a week later when the original decides to croak just to bust your agates..this costs close to 500 bucks just in parts for a tank,fuel lines(a difficult install too)and whatever brake lines that need replacing...the full size and S-10's from 88 up had a fuel line made as one long peice with special fittings and crimped on connectors,and its not too much fun to install,and last one I did cost 197 bucks at a dealer!--

Brake lines are similar--and look and see if it has an oil cooler--if it does,inspect the hoses to it carefully--I've seen perfect looking ones just snap suddenly and empty the crankcase in seconds!--looked like corrosion ate the metal at the crimp fitting,or it was not crimped hard enough,and the rubber hose slid out of the fitting--seen it happen many times....on S-10's especially,but all 4.3's had that problem..

Other than those problems,the newer trucks seem to hold up ok,and are more reliable and fuel efficient with EFI than an older truck...good thing about GM's is they dont change body styles too often,so even an older truck looks "modern".... :crazy:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, just got in from a horrendous day of trying to arrange transport for this truck... I ended up borrowing my 60-mile-away friends cherokee and my dad's tow bar and heading 26 miles out to get the truck...

Just about everything you mentioned was/is wrong with the truck. I don't know why I didn't see it yesterday, but this truck was rusted underneath BAD. I'd almost say the thing must have spent a summer as a boat the way the frame and anything rustable on it looked. Really weird how the body looked so good, though.
    The rotors looked like they rusted around the calipers, like they all fused together as one giant rusted mass, I don't think that truck would've moved without me smacking the calipers with a 6lb sledge for a while... A shock mount was rusted through and the shock hanging free, all steel lines underneath were shot, so fuel lines were probably in bad shape and near the end. Part of the gas tank looked really wet, I don't know if that was a leak or spray from the rear diff.
    It hasn't been in spected in over two years, not registered in one. I couldn't hear the motor, so with everything else not mentioned about this truck, I'd be a fool to think the motor was good by trusting.
    Not only that, the guy selling it was such a bunghole every time I talked to him, I got to wanting to buy from him less and less every time I talked to him, so I didn't feel that bad backing out of it. I started feeling like buying a car from him was annoying to him :rotfl:, maybe it was cause he can't unload this truck.

So.... I walked on that one... I decided to wait on the truck until I finish my bathroom... Still have to buy a couple hundred, probably a thousand, worth of fixtures anyway, and I can haul stuff gently in the minivan, just not the stuff I wanted to.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's good that you checked it out better.

Can't you rent a "HomeDepot" truck for the times you need/want to haul large things?

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Never even thought of that... I was trying to get a Uhaul truck, but that would've ended up around $150... Home Depot would've come to around $40 in the end I think.

Well, I'm in a dilemma now. The seller called me a few minutes ago and said he'll give it to me for $500, and he has a transporter that can haul it for $90. He said his mechanic told him the rust isn't that bad, it can be blown off with a pressure washer and coated with undercoating.
    I think the body mounts were ok, but the rockers were shot. For what I need, if I can make it a good running truck for under $200, it would be a great deal...

So, what do you guys think I should do? My wife is like "I don't care what you do"...

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

WARNING- if it turns into a money pit, the little woman will give you grief about it. Sounds to me like you will be replacing rotors, maybe calipers, brake and fuel lines, probably exhaust=more than 200 bucks. Pressure washing will not get rid of rust, sounds like a car lot fix to me-just cover the rust up with paint or undercoat. Have you heard it run yet?

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Nope. I got so discouraged after looking under it yesterday, I didn't bother jumping it to hear it run. I don't want to jerk the guy around, but I can probably drive back out there tonight after work and jump it to hear it go. I'm a little worried about the clutch, too, that's probably a $500 minimum job if it's worn out.
    I figure I'll have to do the calipers, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder. THe MC was dry as a bone, so I'm sure all the seals are junk and they'll leak immediately after replacing the lines.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the rust, I humored the idea though, thinking the undercoat will slow it down.

I'm gonna start writing down parts and call for prices on them when I get to work, definately need to factor that in...

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do you have inspections? And will the cracked windshield pass? A windshield would eat up your $200 repair budget real quick.

The dealer seems almost "too" anxious to unload it if he calls you back with a new "majically awesome deal". I would buy it for parts, but not for a vehicle to fix up for a couple hundred bucks.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, the windshield will not pass State inspection, it has to be replaced. My uncle had a connection a few years ago and we got a windsheild replaced for about $30.
    I also have an inspection guy that, ahem, uh, may not notice the windshield crack for a couple years...;)

Oh yeah, he is anxious to sell, it hasn't moved in 3 months (the mechanic told me that, not the dealer). I would guess he bought it at auction and didn't know about the brakes, and can't sell it above a certain price without repairing it and having it inspected (dealer laws). It checked out fine on carfax.

It is a really good looking truck, I can see thinking it's a great truck if I didn't have a chance to drive it (like at an auction).

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Just called my parts place, here're the numbers they gave me:

Parts for the 92 1/2 ton:

Master cylinder:
    rear wheel cylinders - $20 each
    front calipers - $20 each
    front lines, rear lines - Steel unknown, rubber $20 each
    rotors - $32.50 each
    Shocks - $100
    Fuel lines:
    Windshield:

$325 already without fuel lines, steel brake lines (the ones I KNOW I need), MC, or windshield, plus haven't heard it run.

If he'll sell it to me for $300, I'll do it, but this thing sounds like too much of a money pit for me now. Plus, i'm feeling guilty... I haven't purchased a toilet or a sink yet for my bathroom...

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Where the heck do you live??? I need to haul trucks there!!!! $800 for just a rear end and $600 just for the front sheet metal!!!! I could haul from here and still make mad moolah!!! :D

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You do have more than one bathroom I hope? :haha:

Near St. Louis. Older stuff (73-87) we can't give away and just haul it off for scrap, but the 88-98 IFS truck parts bring big $$$.

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

As always be careful Ratch.

325.00 for the stuff you know about. Who knows what other problems there are. The guy sure is in a hurry to sell it. Started at 9+ then drops to 8. After you walk he drops to 5 and even arranges transport.

Now he may come down even more. If you had a good truck would you keep dropping your price like that, especially if it was nice looking?

Make sure to check it over well before handing over your money. You don't owe him anything so don't let guilt cloud your judgement. If he thought you were a pita then why would he keep trying to get you to buy it?

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good points.

I just got a windsheild quote, about $225 average.

I will probably be another $600 minimum into this truck before I can even drive it.

I talked to my brother in south carolina, he says he thinks for a beater truck, see if he'll take $300, if not, walk away. For $300, I think it would be alright.

I think I'll call him in a little bit and summarize that, maybe get him to put it on a charger so I can come out and hear it run tonight if he's into it.

He says he's already losing $1k, and he's convinced this is an awesome deal, so I don't know if he'll go for it. On the other hand, he is sounding desperate to sell, and at $300, I can probably make that back parting it out if it's a bomb. Heck just the alloy rims might fetch $200.

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha:

Yeah... THe second floor one is entering year 2 of it's renovation, though. Seems everytime I make a major breakthrough, I find myself a big mental distraction. Some weird fear of completing it, like a prisoner that's released and has a fear of re-entering the world...

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I called him back and told him $300, he got all pissed off and said he's not gonna go back and forth with me, I'm nickel and diming him, yadda yadda yadda.
    I said, "I have a set amount I can get into it for, I'll be right at the amount at your price, with no room if the motor or any of the drivetrain have a problem, or if anything else doesn't pass inspection on it. I can't buy it then, that's just it."

So he said "How about $400?". I said, "Ok, I'll do it for $400".
    He also garuantees me that the motor runs and runs good.

So, I'm driving out there tonight to pay him, and I'll have a tow truck bring it home for me tomorrow.

I gotta say, I'm frickin nervous about it... I just have to keep telling myself, I can make it back in parts, make it back in parts...

Wht did I just do? :confused: :doah:

19. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Don't worry about it at this point. If it turns out to be not worth fixing (won't run or bad clutch etc) you can always turn around and sell it for $500 as a parts truck.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

http://www.rratch.com/Misc/ChevyK1500/

It should be here in an hour or so.

The guy was actually pretty pleasant after I paid him and we completed the transaction.
    Someone locked the keys in the truck, so that's become a big PITA, hopefully the tow guy can slim-jim it.

I shouldn't be posting this... I have to call in a personal day for something unexpected with my daughters school, but it's gonna look like I just wanted to play with the new truck.