Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just about to give up!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dewey, Jan 12, 2001.

1. dewey

dewey Registered Member

Look, I like these big GMC Jimmy's but this is killing me..I just had a national repair shop replace $400 worth of tie rods to fix the shimmy that just started about 3 days ago. on the ride home from the shop, the same shimmy starts, but wait this gets better. I stop to get out and scream on the side of the road, and notice that one of my power steering hoses is pissing out fluid! This truck looks awesome, but I'm losing patience with it...How do you find a small time honest mechanic. Sorry about venting, but the dog can't take much more kickin'

D.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

That really sucks. the only mechanic I can trust is myself, now I just have to work on the mechanic part...
    If the shimmy continues, the ball joints may need replacing.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. dewey

dewey Registered Member

i thought so, but the thing just passed a very strict massachusettes inspection. they checked them. I don't have the cash or patience to just replace parts. I don't even know where in the truck this is coming from. I feel it in the wheel and in the seat..

D.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

hey, where in mass are you? I live in NY, but travel through mass every couple of weeks.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. bangin_my_k5

bangin_my_k5 Registered Member

This is what i found on both my jimmy's. First if the shimmy is in your seat check your u-joints, then tranny mount, then motor mounts,then your ball joints. As for decent mechanics (DTA) DON'T TRUST ANYONE! that you don't know extreamly well. I worked for a crooked mechanic once. Don't get me wrong there are a lot on good mechanics out there but most of them only work on there own vehicles. Also you might wan't to have your drive shafts balanced. I got all of the drive shafts on my wifes Jimmy done for $100 with new u-joints. Please don't give up on your K5 it took me a year before i got the shimmy out of mine. If it dosen't bother you that much take your time that way you don't get those credit cards maxed out.

break em if you can

6. dewey

dewey Registered Member

These are all good suggestions, but why would this shimmy just start 3 days ago? I've had my puny 2.5" lift in for almost a year. Yeah it vibrates a bit, but I was willing to live with that. What I can't live with is this shimmy, like i'm driving over the warning bumps on the side of the road. It's that bad.. I feel like i'm doing damage to keep driving it like this. It only happens when I go over 55. and then it only happens when I'm just putting along, not when I'm on the gas or brakes....

D.

7. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

sounds like your driveshaft or rear end keepimg on the gas keeps tension letting off lets it shake also the rear transfer case mount may cause this,replacing the ball joints is easy just take off the knuckles and let somebody else press the ball joints in the reassemble.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

ALWAYS start with the cheap and easy stuff...go thru and check tightness on u-joints (incuding bolts) look for knocked off driveshaft and wheel-balance weights, try a jack and 2 by 4 under t-case,tranny,motor to find bad mounts. Go on to frontend, check tightness of EVERYTHING! Include steering box to frame mounting,too. Did you do any wheeling before the vibe started...etc.? Any mech. work? Just consider it a mental challenge to find the gremlin and it won't be so bad! Sounds like whenever tension releases- i.e.-Puttin'along, something's getting enough looseness to cause the vibe. Also ck. axle to spring u-bolts. Good Luck....and don't let it get ya' down- we've ALL been there.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just exploring the depth and texture of this mudhole for a while"

9. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen to me when I lived in Mass. (maybe it's a Mass thing!!) But when I replaced the steering stabilizer shocks, it fixed it. Just another thing to check in the list. Also, check and make sure your steering box is bolted on tight, this will cause a shimmy too. Where abouts are youy in Mass?? I'm down there every once in a while and am always looking for new people to wheel with.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    How are your tires?Are they inflated to specs?Maybe you broke a cord or 2 in the tire.Just a thought.That could throw thing out of wack.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

11. dewey

dewey Registered Member

Thanks, I'm in between the two cape cod bridges. I have access to both. I didn't do any wheeling lately (no rough stuff anyway) The thing that troubles me is that this vibration is quick, like a ring gear that is mismatched or something. Do you know what i mean? Very quick.

D.

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

dont know if this will apply to you but on mine if i dont have the tires balanced fairly often i get a bad shimmy or shake so i just take it in every couple of months and have them re-balanced

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

This sounds a lot like u-joints going out. are there any shims under the springs? If there are not, this can cause a bad angle, and will wear them out a lot faster. To get rid of the angle, lower the t-case by moving the spacers on the crossmember bolts from where they are now to between the frame and crossmember. this should help with vibrations, you may want to do this first. If that doesn't cure it, I put money on the u-joints. Good luck.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Don't give up unless you realy have to. Talk to us or others about your problems. I wanted to call it quits a few times lately myself but help from here and guys I work with keep me going on my Blazer. By this spring I should be back on track with it. Patience my K5 brother ! Hang in there !</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

15. dewey

dewey Registered Member

the u joints are about 6 months old. Could it be a stuck hub?

D.

16. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Check hub by turning the stub shafts by pokin' at em on the yoke ears in the open space by the knuckles. Have the tire balance checked and check the lug nuts ,too. When ya say quick....is the vibe going with the road speed or faster? If its faster than road speed, its gotta be upstream of the tires. Try getting the vibe going and then toss it in neutral and see what she does.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just exploring the depth and texture of this mudhole for a while"

17. northgate

northgate Registered Member

Sounds like a tire problem. Try rotating your tires and seeing if that changes the feel of the vibration. Also, you can usually find a decent shop by inquiring at your local auto parts store. The countermen know who the good shops are because they talk to them daily and know if they're just throwing parts at cars to 'see' if they fix them or not.

18. dewey

dewey Registered Member

it is faster than road speed. I'm going to have the tires balanced tomorrow, and then go and fight with meinekee about replacing $400 bucks worth of tie rod ends that obviously didn't need replacing.!
    thanks

D.

19. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Here is another item to add to the list. I can't explain why but on my 85 I was getting grinding sound that would start, stop, then start again and increase with speed which made it kind of sound like a u joint. I was also getting a shimmy that seemed like it was coming from the front passenger side wheel when I was going between 40-60 mph. I then found that the passenger side rear wheel bearing was toast. After replacing the rear wheel bearing the grinding and the front end shimmy stopped. I have no idea what a bad rear wheel bearing would have to do with a front end shimmy/vibration, but it is gone and the Blazer goes down the road smoother than it ever has.......good luck

20. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

Hey man hang in there, I've been working on my rig for over a year now. Most of mine is custom, but I've been working out bugs like you're talkin about for the last 5 months. If you be patient and do a little at a time it will all come together. Plus it'll be worth the wait.

I agree with it being either a u-joint, or a wheel bearing, or having the rear end shimed to the proper angle

Coil sprung 71 blazer.