Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just acquired my first piece !!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 58 apache, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

ok here we go:D :D :D ... this build up has offically started.:saweet: :saweet: found a local( kinda ) shop with a beefed up th350 ordering it on tues. just got a corp 14ff with disk break kit installed. det locker /4.56. it has the 10 1/2 rp gear .dana 4.56 gears. the shafts are 30 spline 1 1/2 diam.8 lug .wms is 67 inches. i have a 208 now but want to go with a 241 with sye. what will i have to do to make this axle work? what should i look for in a front axle? i have a 10 bolt now. but it's not 456 so i gotta regear anyways so should i upgrade?:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Wow, not exactly "got bit"; sounds like that shark is taking an arm and a leg!:haha:

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the madness!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
    [​IMG]

4. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

gonna stock pile all my parts and do a tear down once i have all the stuff and no money.gonna get all the running gear in a1 shape then do the body stuff down the road a bit. gotta build the 400 up a little more too.. not enough lope for me. when i get springs/ shocks will i now get 1 ton or still get a lift kit for a k5 and redo the perches and shock mounts? so im workin... 400 small block /th350/241sye/14ff/? front/4.56/35x12.5

5. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

what is the WMS? the guy said the WMS is 67" what is this measurement?

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So I am looking into getting a doubler in the next 6 to 7 months. I will be running an SM465 and 1 ton's with 4.56s. I have a TBI 350 and I doubt I will go much bigger in engine. I am looking for people who have had experiences good, bad and indifferent with the different companies making doublers. THe three I know about are Off Road Design, Northwest Fabrication, and Wagoner Machine SHop(?). I am looking for best overall kit/package and best bang for buck knowing these two may not be the same. Let me know what you have thought about your doubler and the company that made it.
    That was from "search", could it be refering to driveshaft?

7. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

Wheel Mounting Sufrace. the distanve from one wheel mounting surface to the other is 67 inches.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, so much for keeping everything 6 lug. It seems the build is headed in the "balls to the wall" direction. lol!

You have two options really... get the parts you need to convert your 10b front axle to 8-lug... or just get an axle thats already 8 lug (3/4 ton 10 bolt, D44 or 1 ton D60). You may be able to find one of those with 4.56 gears already... that'd save the $$$ of having to regear.

btw, what upgrade parts does that th350 have? "built" means something different to almost every trans shop... some guys mean it just has a minimal rebuild and maybe a one or two blingy upgrades.... other guys mean a ton of upgraded parts.

As far as shocks / springs etc, no, you don't need to get 1 ton aplication stuff now. There isn't anything on my rig that is 1 ton except the axles themselves. 1 ton application shocks and springs tend to be hella stiff (to compensate for super heavy loads)... so they don't ride very well when empty and they won't flex offroad very well either.

j

9. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

this is how the tranny was listed..... just scored a d60/4.56 to hell with the trailer im goin all out .... so far i got this; th350 /rebuild my 208? was goin to get a 241 with a sye but spent the cash on a d60. will the 208 be sufficiant? /a corp14ff/det locker/d60. can i go to 38" tires or is 35's still a better choice? gonna just drive around town mild wheelin and an occasional road trip...just to show it off.. oh and found a local shop to help with parts of the build....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Description [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]THIS AUCTION IS FOR A TURBO 350 4X4 TRANSMISSION AND STOCK CONVERTER TO FIT A 208 TRANSFER CASE OR REPLACE THE 700R4 THIS IS A CONVERSION PACKAGE AND WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE 208 TRANSFER CASE.
    PLEASE CALL ANYTIME WITH QUESTIONS 828-388-3696
    SHIPPING TO STATES WITHIN 700 MILES OF N.C. 85.00
    SHIPPING TO STATES OUTSIDE THE 700 MILE MARKER IS 135.00
    THIS IS TO A BUSINESS ADDRESS
    RESIDENT DELIVERY ADD 65.00
    FREIGHT IS TO BE PAID WHEN TRANSMISSION IS RECIEVED.

THIS WILL FIT BOTH SMALL AND BIG BLOCK CHEVYS. I ALSO CAN MAKE THEM FOR PEOPLE USING A PONTIAC OR OLDSMOBILE ENGINE IN THEIR TRUCK.
    PROFESSIONALY REBUILT WITH ALL THE GOOD BORG WARNER, RAYBESTOS, FAIRBANKS PARTS.I START OUT WITH 250 DEGREE WATER TO BLAST SURFACE TO GET RID OF THE YEAR OLD BUILD UP THAT IS ON THESE. THEN THEY ARE COMPLETELY DISASEMBLED WHERE WE LOOK TO SEE WHAT PARTS ARE GOOD AND WHAT IS NOT. I THEN PUT THE CASE IN THE CABINET WASHER WHERE IT UNDERGOES YET ANOTHER CLEANING INSIDE AND OUT.THIS GETS ALL AREAS INTERNALY WITH HIGH DEGREE WATER AND CLEANING SOLVENT.
    CASES ARE THEN CHECKED INTERNAL FOR CRACKES BY MAGNAFLUXING OR BLACK LIGHTING. THIS ASSURES ME THAT I HAVE A GOOD CASE TO BUILD. I THEN START WITH CLEANING AND CHECKING ALL HARD PARTS AND REPLACE WHERE THEY ARE WORE OUT AND CRACKED. I THEN START THE ASSEMBLY PROCESS. IN THE LOW REVERSE SECTION I USE THE PISTON THAT ACCEPTS 5 CLUTCH PACKS. THIS GIVES THE TRANSMISSION GOOD HOLDING POWER IN MANUAL LOW GEAR.I THEN ADD THE ROLLER THRUST WASHERS OR METAL ONES WHERE NECESSARY.OUTPUT SHAFT IS CHECK FOR BENDS OR WARPAGE FROM OTHER PREVIOUS USES.ENDPLAY IS THEN CHECKED FOR THE RIGHT CLEARANCE IN THE REAR PART OF THE TRANSMISSION. THIS IS CRITICAL TO OPTIMIZE LONG TRANSMISSION LIFE.
    THE FORWARD AND DIRECT DRUMS BOTH RECIEVE THE EXTRA CLUTCHES AS WELL FOR OPTIMIUM HOLDING STRENGTH. ALL CLUTCHES AND STEELS ARE EITHER BORG WARNER OR RAYBESTOES. IN OUR FULL RACE PACKAGES WE USE THE BLUE OR RED CLUTCHES. THESE ARE FOR THE 500HP AND ABOVE CLASS. FOR THE STREET THESE OTHERS WORK VERY WELL.EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ON THIS.
    THE DIRECT DRUM RECIEVES THE HARDENED OUTER RACE THE WEAKEST LINK IN THE 350s. THIS WILL ALLOW THE TRANSMISSION TO ACCEPT MORE SOLID SHIFTS AND GIVE THEM THE TIRE CHIRPING SOUNDS FROM EACH GEAR CHANGE.ON OUR COMPETITION AND RACE TRANSMISSIONS, I USE THE 36 ELEMENT DRUM AND SPRAG ASSEMBLY, YOU WILL NOT BREAK THESE THIS IS WHERE WE CAN USE THEM FOR STRONGER HP NEEDS. IT IS COSTLY BUT IT IS WELL WORTH IT. WE WARRANTY OUR RACE TRANSMISSIONS THE SAME WAY FOR JUST AS LONG.EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIONS WITH THESE.
    THE INTERMEDIATE SECTION RECIEVES THE MAXIMUM 3 CLUTCHES IN THIS AREA SOMETIMES I TAKE 2 CLUTCHES AND STRIP ONE SIDE OFF ALIGN THEM TOGETHER TO GET THE RIGHT CLEARANCE IN THIS AREA.
    THE PUMP IS COMPLETELY REMANUFACTURED PUMP HALVES ARE TAKEN APART WHERE THEY ARE SURFACED FOR TRUENESS. GEAR AREA HAS ALSO BEEN SURFACED AND ALL SCORES AND PITS ARE REMOVED. NEW GEARS ARE THEN USED. THESE ARE COMPLETE NEW PUMPS.
    VALVE BODY HAS ALL NEW SPRINGS FOR STRIP PERFORMANCE. I USE THE FAIRBANKS TRANSACTION KITS IN THESE UNITS. IT GIVES THE CAR VERY FIRM SHIFTS FROM 1-2 AND FIRM FROM 2-3. IT ALSO HAS THE ABILITY TO KEEP THE TRANSMISSION IN MANUAL LOW FOR AS LONG AS YOU NEED IT TO.THSE ARE GREAT KITS.OUR COMPETITION ONES ARE TAILORED WITH SPECIAL PRESSURE REGULATOR SPRINGS AS WELL AS MY OWN MODIFIED PLATE THIS WILL GIVE YOUR CAR THE HARDEST SHIFTS POSSIBLE.
    TRANSMISSION IS BOTH FULLY AUTOMATIC AND MANUAL FOR THE DAILY DRIVER AND FOR THE OFF ROADER. TRANSMISSION HAS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS ABLE TO HOLD IN ANY GEAR AT ANY RPM's IN MANUAL MODE, OR PULL IT IN DRIVE AND USE IT FOR EVERYDAY DRIVING.
    THESE TRANSMISSIONS WILL WITHSTAND UP TO 500 HORSEPOWER.
    IF YOU DO ALOT OF TOWING WITH YOUR TRUCK THESE TRANNYS DO NOT SLIP.THIS AUCTION IS FOR THE 208 TRANSFER CASE MODEL OR SHORT SHAFT.
    NOTICE IF YOU ARE PICKING THIS UP YOU WILL NEED TO BRING A CORE THE SAME AS YOU ARE BUYING OTHER WISE THERE IS A 100.00 CORE THIS ONLY APPLIES TO IN PERSON PICKUPS. YOU MUST EMAIL ME BEFORE AUCTION ENDS. THIS IS HOW I KEEP MY PRICES LOW. WE HAVE A 6 MONTH WARRANTY THAT COMES WITH ALL OUR TRANNYS.

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

If he actully performs all that work on the TH350, then that is a trans to buy. Other than no Overdrive, you'll be way pleased with it, especially full shift control. If you wanted a trans compatible with any other T-case, its only a difference in output shaft; that builder can build that too.
    I see above the explaination for "WSM". Its what we used to call "drum-to-drum" or "disc-to-disc.":haha:
    Good tip from jekbrown on 1/2 ton springs and shocks over 1 ton axles.