Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just an FYI about cooling.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dieselmh, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Howdy ya'll. I do a lot of researching and asking questions here, but usually don't have much to add that everyone doesn't already know. Well here's one that may be new. I spent a little time trying to find a good fitting electric fan setup for my first Gen K5. What I found was that the fan and shroud setup out of a late 90's/early 2000 Ford Crown Vic. will fit almost perfectly. Basically we only hade to make new mounting brackets to attach the shroud, but it fit almost perfectly around my big ol' radiator, and moves some major air. I got lucky, a friend of mine works for the city and we got a fan/shroud combo for free because the fan was making noise and they took a whole assembly out of a wrecked unit to repair it. Turns out the shroud had been squished a little and was rubbing. I trimmed it up, and it's working great. I've got it wired through a breaker on the inside fender, then to a temp switch in the manifold. When we broke in the engine, I let it run for almost an hour straight at varying rpms, and with the fan hard wired in the "on" state, the engine never got over 160! I don't know how much the units would cost new, but they're probably fairly easy to find in the junkyards. Anyway, if this is common knowledge, please disregard, otherwise I hope at least one other person may get some use from my info. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    out of a late 90's/early 2000 Ford Caprice

[/ QUOTE ] ???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    out of a late 90's/early 2000 Ford Caprice

[/ QUOTE ] ???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm retarded. I was trying to think of the cop cars, and Caprice came to mind. It's the Crown Vics! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Very good information, but calling a Caprice a Furd is sacriledge /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Seriously though , I think he meant Ford fullsize, like Crown Vic, Town Car , Marauder etc /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If the fords work so will the mercury marquis and other similar bodied mercury cars.