Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just blew my 33

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eric22, May 22, 2004.

1. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

and ive been waitin to lift my 90 blazer, and get some 35 x 15.5 i just got a flat, and i would rather spend the money on a lift, than a replacment sorta-stock-tire, so i was lookin for some advise on a good suspension/body lift that would fit those tires, i was thinking a 2"body and 4 suspention, what ya think, for the least problems??

thanks

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I am running 35 X14 X15s on my91 with no lift and a little trim with min. rub /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

You need a 4" spring lift for sure, then you can add a body lift later if needed. I'd go with 4" TC EZ ride fronts and a shackle flip from ORD in the rear. Im running 38X12.50's with 4" of lift and some fender trimming /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    and ive been waitin to lift my 90 blazer, and get some 35 x 15.5 i just got a flat, and i would rather spend the money on a lift, than a replacment sorta-stock-tire, so i was lookin for some advise on a good suspension/body lift that would fit those tires, i was thinking a 2"body and 4 suspention, what ya think, for the least problems??

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well you're a Cali guy so my guess is your K5 has little to no rust so I would definantly not trim the fenders unless you want to.

What width and offset rim are you going with? I would forget the body lift because they can be a PITA to install if it doesn't go just right and having all suspenion looks better anyway. I would just get a 6" BDS or tough Country lift and be done with it. 6" will be barely enough to clear those wide tires on certain rims, I have basically 10" of lift and when flexed out and turning my 35x16 boggers get suprisingly close to the corners of the front fenders, although I do have them mounted on 16.5x14 welds with 3.75" of backspacing. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I have an old worn out 4" lift and 35s fit but they would rub if i hit a bump. I trimed the fenders and no more rubbing. Personnally I think it looks better now then it did before the trim.

Nick

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That's gonna be the most expensive flat you ever got! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Don't get started on the "what lift do I need to clear (x) tires?" thing, as it will vary by truck, condition of existing suspension, what new components you get, and phase of the moon.

Short answer: You're in for some fun. Not necessarily a bad thing, but lifting your truck can get expensive quick, with all the little pieces you don't think of right away.

-- A

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    lifting your truck can get expensive quick, with all the little pieces you don't think of right away.

-- A

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't that the truth. I thought when I lifted my sub it was going to be cheap. but you realize I might as well replace this and that and Eventually it adds up very very fast...

good luck...........

8. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

thanks everyone, i think ill try the "6 suspension lift, will the extra 6 inches require any driveline mods?

btw it looks great with the spare on /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

6" will PROBABLY need longer drivelines...I'd say go with a 4 then do some fender trimming. there is a good article in the tech write ups that will help.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks everyone, i think ill try the "6 suspension lift, will the extra 6 inches require any driveline mods?

btw it looks great with the spare on /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ] With my 76 K5 I ended up having new driveshafts made when I went 6". I highly recomend calling ORD and have them set up 6" lift "kit" for you. I'd go 6" Tuff Country springs + thier extended shackles up front. And ORD's 4" shackle flip + either 2" or 3" (I went with the 3") Tuff Country rear springs.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I doubt you will need shaft work, seems that the early model guys can't get away with it and the later model trucks can handle 6" for the most part. Just from what I've seen. Your 90' K5 running gear was almost identical to my 85'(I swapped in a 241) and I ran my stock shaft for a long time with more like 7" in the back. The problem was that I kept breaking them /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifso I finally decided to upgrade.