Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just bought 6.2 chevy silverardo 1982

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blackwidow2408, Mar 9, 2006.

1. blackwidow2408

blackwidow2408 Registered Member

Help

this is the first diesil i have owned so am out on a limb here:confused: first i need to know if i can swap petrol tank from our old K5 petrol as the fuel guage shows way past full on the new one, plus anyone know where i can get workshop manual for new one plus owners hand book as need all info i can get.
    plus to add to the story i live in uk!!!!!!
    thanks adele

2. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you should check the wire that goes from the tank to the gauge it´s probably broken.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

books4cars.com might have the big GM factory service manual (the best kind, never mind Chilton and Haynes), and they ship internationally, but you'd probably have to contact them to determine charges.

I think that there are reprints of the owners manual available on ebay and elsewhere.

Fuel tank - I'd bet you'd have to have it flushed and cleaned first, but don't quote me on that.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The tanks are the same from Blazer to Blazer, and pickup to pickup. The two are not interchangeable. Diesel or gas, doesn't matter, but you would want to clean it VERY well, first, so as to avoid contamination.

However, if the fuel gauge is pegged over full, the wire is broken, betcha betcha betcha. There's a pink wire from the sender (in the tank, on top) that goes along the right side frame rail and then up by the starter.

Also check the ground on the tank; should go from the ring around the sender to the frame.

-- A

5. blackwidow2408

is it possible to do this without dropping the tank?

6. blackwidow2408

thanks for all the info we will try checking the ground first, but is it possible to check wire on tank without dropping it???????

7. dremu

Well, you don't say if you have a Blazer or a pickup.

On the pickups, it's hard to get your hands in there.

On the Blazer, it is possible ... much easier if you have a body lift, and/or hacked fenders.

On a stock truck, you'll want to remove the passenger side rear wheel so you can get your head right up by the frame rail; follow the filler hose in from the side of the body and you'll see where all the hoses and wires are.

Oh, the ground is on the driver's side, so you'll want to pull that tire too.

But tires are easier than dropping the tank... it's a PAIN. Much easier if you use a jack for it ... I use one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792

While obviously you won't have HF in Cornwall, the picture is helpful ;)

So, in short, yes, if you have small arms and patience, you can do the sender wiring without dropping the tank.

Well, if you find the ground is broken you'll want to pull the tank to fix it ... the pink wire has a rubebr snap to go onto a metal stud, that one you can do without dropping.

HTH.

-- A

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

good find on the diesel rig :D

i have the exact same trouble on my 77 k10 pickup i bought yesterday, reads at or past full all the time, dual tanks though

same exact dilemma, there is next to no room at all to get up above the tank on the pickups anyways

definitely check wires at tank and along frame

thats what i have to do to mine, is go over all the wires and such at both tanks and along the chassis and hope that i find something broken,,

it sucks, but...

good luck

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

The tanks are not always the same on pickups neither are the sending units. there are two fill neck sizes, IIRC, depending on the year for the gassers. The Diesel uses the larger fill neck. Found this out on my '88 V30 with a 6.2 and twin tanks. Diesel sending units have a special pickup with basically a trap door near the fuel sock so if the fuel gells up around the sock it opens the bypass and still draws fuel in. This might only be an issue in really cold weather and I think fuel quality is somewhat better than it was when the 6.2 came out in '82.

10. dremu

Well, okay, I oversimplified. I know better, too, cuz the military tanks have a different filler than the civvy's, as I discovered when I went to upgrade my '09 CUCV's 25-gallon (21? whatever it is) to the 31. Grumble grumble. :doah:

Anyway, my point, really, was "Are we talking about a Silverado pickup or a Silverado trimline Blazer?" :)

-- A

11. blackwidow2408

hi we are talking about a silverardo blazer, but have now got even bigger problems the SOB's who sold her to me have really stiffed me the rear floor pan is gone and the pillars has rusted out the only thing holding it on is the rust that has not disintigrated so now i am at the stage that i have a vehicle that is a death trap, am really down as spent all my savings on this and have been really done, sorry to sound off but needed to tell someone and knew you guys would understand.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sending units...

Diesel sending unit differs from gas slightly..the diesel has an additional hose spout for a drain to remove water from the tank..it has a valve at the end of the hose you open to drain the water out,located near the rear spring hanger(closest to front of truck) in the frame rail..plus it also has an additional wire for the "Water in fuel" light on the dash....

I would not panic about the rust,unless the frame rails themselves are rotted badly..its near impossible to find a GM truck,especially a Blazer, in very good shape sheetmatal wise anywhere outside of the desert..most of them I see have decent frames,but salt on the roads eats the "tin" parts off at an alaming rate..this is why most GM truck owners know how to weld,and have welders..patch panels are easy to buy,or make with a bit of patience...

Its the price we have to pay if we want a Blazer or Pickup here in the salt laden northeast ..I've welded my share back together,and more than one had galvanized furnace ducting, or panels from old appliances like washers and refridgerators for floor panels!..:crazy:

13. blackwidow2408

to carry on this saga the only thing that is holding on the left side of this blazer is the rust if I had been hit at the front the whole thing would have caved in and i would not be here am at present looking to how to get my money back, welding is no problems and we will takle most things wehave done the same as you and have scrficed many a piece of sheet metal to the cause of a truck, but after having purchased this truck and then to find this it just got to me as it is a lot of work and time.