Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just bought '72. looking for engine code help

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mastercraftkpk, Mar 18, 2003.

1. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

just bought \'72. looking for engine code help

I have just bought a '72 and am just starting to dig in. I am having trouble tracking down any info re: the engine. Engine code=V0208 CJK
    Serial#= C115108197

I believe the engine was made at the Flint plant on Feb 8 but the suffix code (CJK) info I have gotten shows it to be an engine for a '71 Vette.

If anyone could help me. I would be very thankful. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: just bought \'72. looking for engine code help

yes flint and feb 8th, year casting code is on top side of bellhousing ledge and will have year digit on end, get the block casting number back there too

71 350 sounds right with thet suffix stamp code you have

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Have you checked here clicky

4. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

yes, i have that as mid year 71 corvette 350, 270 hp L-48 w/ 4 spd and 1 4 barrel and code h cam originally.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That would be a '71 LT1 engine. They were originally rated at 330 hp (gross). It could have come out of a Vette or a Chevelle. If the original carb, intake, etc. are still with the engine, it could be worth some $$. The engine would have been equipped with a spread bore Holley carb on a factory aluminum intake originally.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The engine would have been equipped with a spread bore Holley carb on a factory aluminum intake originally.

[/ QUOTE ]

would this intake be the same mounting surface as a '63 283 gm iron holley intake ? four equal bores diameters unlike quadrajets smaller primary bores?

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Now that I think about it, they may have used a square bore (4 equal size holes), not spread bore (like Q-Jet) on those LT1s. I am not sure. They did come with an aluminum intake, and a Holley carb tho. I know GM used spread bore Holleys on some bigger truck applications.

8. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the fast reply. It does not have the orig. carb, but has a carter quadrajet. w/ a weiand intake. It's already converted to a early '80s HEI. I haven't degreased the badly bleeding area around the rear of the block/bell housing to search for additional info not on the frt, engine boss.

I am searching to find out where to set the idle so that I can time the #@!%^ thing. It is currently advanced 45^ at present idle.

Guess I could just start experimenting w/ idle-advance settings.

Thanks again for the info. After having 3 prior 1st gen and 2 2nd gen blazers, this will be my first true restoration. The info that I have gained at CK5 has made my research/planning almost pleasant. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    would this intake be the same mounting surface as a '63 283 gm iron holley intake ? four equal bores diameters unlike quadrajets smaller primary bores?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I prefer to say that the Quadrajets have two larger secondaries, other than 2 smaller primaries... Hehe, not correctiong you, just having fun with what I know... not much /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I prefer to say that the Quadrajets have two larger secondaries, other than 2 smaller primaries... Hehe, not correctiong you, just having fun with what I know... not much /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i said, Qjets have two smaller oens, yes, but holley no st least not the 60s ones

11. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

hey, my book has it as an l-48 270hp. what book are you using. the allen numbers book has never steered me wrong, so if you have a better source let me know. thanks.
    Ernest

12. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

my book has the lt-1 corvette engine as a cgz code (and 330 hp), not a cjk.