Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought '86 Jimmie and looking for advice, new to site

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mahorney, Jun 10, 2004.

1. mahorney

mahorney Registered Member

Just bought \'86 Jimmie and looking for advice, new to site

Hello,

I just bought an '86 Jimmie. Has a near perfect body, was bought a month ago on ebay auctions by someone who decided to go with a suburban instead. It came from Phoenix. Has 3" lift and I put 33 bfg ta's on it.

First question: What's best junk yard in denver area to find parts for this?

Also, original 305 has been swapped out with a 350. Runs good but not too strong. Just got it two days ago and haven't had time to do much with it yet. Exhaust is sooty, plugs were likewise, and misses out when you really step on it. Engine has performer intake and carb, and headers. Haven't checked distributor yet, but put new plugs and wires on it last night, which didn't help.

Biggest problem is that it doesn't have any emissions on it, just cats in pipes. Exhaust is in good shape, but I don't know how old cats are. There's no air pump, o2 sensers, or computer.

I had it tested just to see where I stood as is. It blew HC 10.5 over limit of 6.0, CO 224.5 vs 40.0 limit, and NOx 1.6 vs 9.0 limit. I'm wondering if the combination of high CO and low NOx is pointing to a compression issue. It's got more bark than bite when you step on gas.

Finally, I am thinking I will have to strip the various emission controls off another 80s era vehicle to get this thing to pass. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I'm planning to take it back one more time with fresh synthetic oil, slick 50, leaned out carb, and retarded timing to what it scores before I add other parts. Funny thing is that they passed it on the equipment inspection. I don't think they even looked at it.

Advice on this will be very much appreciated.
    Mark

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Just bought \'86 Jimmie and looking for advice, new to site

[ QUOTE ]
    Funny thing is that they passed it on the equipment inspection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky dog /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Some tips for passing are to make sure engine is warmed up first, I like to drive there before closing so lines are short to get through faster, change the oil and all filters, including the breather filter in air cleaner. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. mahorney

Thanks, do you know if it's even possible to pass the emissions without the air pump, etc..? I hate to waste another visit and have them maybe pay closer attention to the equipment next time. We have to pay for every other visit.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am sure it is possible , will take some tuning. Perhaps it will be helpful to put some of it back on there. TBI trucks have less emissions equipment, but a computer does the fuel and ignition on the fly. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Properly tuned, you can pass the sniffer test without AIR or converter, depending on how they do it. (dyno testing is hard to "trick" though)

If they aren't requiring visual, then focus on what is making it run so bad. New plugs and wires are a definite must if they are questionable, check cap and rotor while you are there for sure as well.

Carb needs to be tuned correctly. Too rich or too lean, you will still fail.

6. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Best yard in Denver? Pull n Save in Aurora.

7. mahorney

Thanks, that's where I was planning to go tomorrow.

And thanks for emissions advice. Will get it running good before taking it back.