Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought 87 Jimmy, where do I start?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CCGN, Oct 8, 2001.

1. CCGN

CCGN Newbie

I have been cruising this site for a few weeks while I was looking for a Jimmy/Blazer. I just bought an 87 Jimmy that is in really nice shape. I have owned two blazer's in the past so I am somewhat familiar with them. I had an 81 350/std and a 91 Silverado full load (damn I wish I never sold that one) and now the 87. My question is, what are the basics you guys usually do to these things to increase the power (and possibly the mileage) without making major mods.

I have an 87 Grand National that I do alot of work on so I am familar with modding fuel injected vehicles, and I have a scan tool that will give me various sensor readings etc so all I need to know is where best to start.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Clayton

87 Grand National: 11.79 @ 116mph
    87 GMC Jimmy: No ET yet: (LOL)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Clayton,

First of all welcome to CK5! Good to see another BC boy here. As far as performance and mileage I would stick with the basics to start with. K&N, new wires and plugs, general tune-up make sure the injectors are clean etc etc. For performance upgrades, I'd begin with a freer flowing exhaust system.

Rene...Surrey boy[​IMG]

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

My favorite place to start after a new purchase is a fluid and filter change all around...you might find economy increases in that alone

New is intake: K &amp; N filter, Edelbrock Performer Intake

Increase exhaust: 3" pipe high flow cat, good muffler (flowmaster, glasspacks, ravine), headers

Also is the tranny and t-case all well?

I'd do all this because I rather have a stout mechanically well vehicle for all the driving i do and then next worry about interior needs.

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. CCGN

CCGN Newbie

Hey Rene, I'm in Delta. Not too far from you obviously.

I forgot to mention the truck came with a flowmaster exhaust already. Sounds really good too. What brand and heat range are best for plugs? and what about plug wires? Do you just use a stock replacement K&amp;N or is there a cold air/Ramair kit available?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would use a stock replacement K&amp;N for your K5 and keep the air filter housing. The stock set-up draws air from outside which is colder denser air than an open element filter would draw from underhood.

I've had good luck with the Bosch truck plugs but to be honest I haven't experimented much beyond that.

If you're in Delta check out DJ's auto just off 96th and Scott road. They sell Aurora plug wires. I am very impressed at the quality and performance gains I picked up using those wires. I think they cost me about $70 (cdn$ obviously) They sell their wires for header specific applications, or for stock reoplacememnt. I appreciated that very much and haven't had a wire burn on my headers since I installed them last year.[​IMG]

BTW there are actually quite a few of us CK5er in the area...you'll see that as time goes by. We shouuld actually organize a CK5 run up here soon!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard!! In addition to what everyone else said, get a can of contact cleaner and give the distributor a really good cleaning. Rene (our resident genius here) gave me that idea, and I got quite a little boost out of it. Not too bad for a couple minutes worth of work, and $4 for a can of cleaner.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well first of all "kiss all your free time and money away".....it goes to fast....Just kidding.....well kinda....

As others have said make sure it trail worthy (if it's trail worthy that it can will work on the street)...... Remember safety first...... that includes All fluids and filters changed....major tuneup.... Tires checked and balanced.....alinement.....exc.....

Now for the Power and fuel econ... K&amp;N air filter, Trany cooler if you have the 700R4.....Exhaust system...... correct gears for the size of tires.......

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have done some mods to my TBI that have worked real well. Boosting both power and gas milage.
    I got them from. Link:http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

9. CCGN

CCGN Newbie

The Jimmy is in great condition and I have all the receipts since new. I will plan on a K&amp;N, tranny cooler, oil &amp; lube and tranny service to start with.

Pugsley, what is this contact cleaner you are referring to?

Anything else I should look at?

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Just electrical contact cleaner - I prefer CRC, because it REALLY cleans stuff out, and doesn't hurt the electronics in the distributor.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>