Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought a 1989 K5 Blazer / wheel & tire questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ranger3, Oct 9, 2003.

1. ranger3

ranger3 Registered Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6154&item=2435646861

I was not too concerned about body rust. I can take care of that later. I think this was a great price.

I don't have it yet....it should get shipped up here in a week or so.

I have been trying to find specs for the standard wheel/tire sizes and number of lugs but have not been able to find that info.

I will want to put on some larger tires....not too large and no body lift, because 77" is about the absolute max height my garage will allow. I would like the best of both worlds: good off-road traction and smooth, quiet highway ride. I have been reading a lot of good things about BF Goodrich tires.

I am thinking of keeping the standard wheels, at least for a while. And maybe going with blackwall tires rather than white letter. I sort of like the plain-jane 'Park Ranger' look of this Blazer. My other vehicle is a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor that I just bought a few weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yes, my screen name on other sites on the net is FordnMerc. Been a big Ford fan all my life. But my family has owned some very good Chevrolets over the years, too. I am really looking forward to owning the Blazer.

Anyhow, I would be interested to hear the specs on the stock wheels and tires and anyone's recommendations for tires that will better fill out the wheel wells....those small ones just don't look right. (Though not quite as bad as some Dodge Ram 4x4s I've seen with tiny 225 series tires!)

Would LT275/70R15s be the way to go, or are there some a bit larger than that that would look better, yet not be too large?

Thanks

David....Watkins Glen, NY

**Ranger3 was the space shuttle that Buck Rogers piloted and was frozen in for 500 years.** /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5. 31x10.50 R15 BFG A/T. Looks good, best tire on the market.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I also like the BFG M/T's they wear about the same as A/T's except the extra traction is there when you need it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ranger3

I think I will go with BFG 'Land Terrain' white letter tires, in the 31 x 10.50 15. They are on sale at Walmart for $88.34 each. BUT, I'm not going to have them mounted at Walmart....I just don't care for the idea of having any kind of auto service done at a department store. I'll have them put on at a good GM dealership, when I take the Blazer in for service.

Thanks for the advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

David

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The BFGs are a good choice. They are an excelent tire.
    FYI
    I just wanted to say that I have bought a lot of tires from Wall mart and they do most of my tire work, Balance, flat repairs ect. I have been satisfied with their work. My local Wallyworld even gets out the torque wernch and torques down the lugnuts to factory specs. Thats something I see very few shops do any more. If they do the installation they will honor all guarentees and free lifetime flat repair/balance. I dont think you will get anything like that from a dealer. Many dealers just farm out their tire work and alignments to local shops anyhow.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I would get a 32 11.50 15 BFG MT or possibly a AT I have the AT's now and like them alot but would deffentally trade for the MT's

7. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Gotta dig that Park Ranger look. My '90 K5 is an ex-Oregon Park Ranger truck. No frills, business only. Anyone wants electric and leather, get a Lexus.

Nice truck...

8. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I ran skinny 33's for a few years and really liked them, they were 33x10.5 15 BFG AT on stock wheels without lift but minor fender trimming; you can also get them as MT's, and I think Kelly tire makes skinny 33's as well.

9. ranger3

That's interesting and good news about Walmart, Thunder, thanks for the info!

You guys have got me thinking about the MTs....I just might decide to get a set of those after all. Will let you know what I get sometime in the next week or so.

David

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I will want to put on some larger tires....not too large and no body lift, because 77" is about the absolute max height my garage will allow.

[/ QUOTE ] You could always trim your fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Gets rid of rust, and makes room for larger tires all at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif What are your plans for this Blazer ??? What do you intend to use it for ??? What kind of off-roading do you plan on doing with it ??? BFG's are good tires, I just prefer the Ground Hawg's myself. 33's or 35's depending on amount of fender trimming would look real good in my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif