Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just bought a 2 inch body lift (Question)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by radar, Mar 13, 2002.

1. radar

radar Registered Member

Just bought a 2 inch body lift kit from Rough Country
    1) Do I have to do anything with the bumpers
    (bumper brackets)?
    2) What about body mounts
    3) Any GOOD tips!!

Thanks For All The Info Guys & Gals

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

You dont have to do anything with the bumpers, but there will be a twon inch gap in between the body and the bumper, you can move it with brackets (if supplied) but you are moving the bumper 2inches of the strongest point in the frame so it could get a little hairy if you get into a bad wreck, and be sure to soak all the bolts you are abput to take out with a good rust penatrator, like PB Blaster, you might want to spray them down a couple of days before you do this so it wont be so hard to remove them

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Another thing is the helper springs for the tailgate. I just cut mine off, but have a buddy who actually took them out just in case he ever got rid of the body lift he could just reinstall them. Your also gonna have to lift your carpet to get to the 4 rear bolts so make sure you take everything out of the back before you begin. I was also told to do one side first and then the other. That way your body is not just floating on the frame.
    Good luck

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, do one side at a time, and DEFINITELY replace your body mounts at the same time. You might as well do that right now. I also recommend the help of a friend, and a large breaker bar to get the rusty bolts out. Spray them very well maybe a day in advance. Do a search under "body lift questions" and you should find a wealth of information. You don't have to move up your bumpers, but it looks ugly if you don't.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Esteban86K5
    Just curious why you would cut them out? Why not put them back in?

Thanks
    Ken H.

6. mudober

mudober Registered Member

esteban,
    If I remember right I left my tailgate springs bolted up and heated them with a tourch a little to comply with the lift.
    It will weaken them a little but its better than none.
    Maybe unbolt them, heat them, and rebolt them. I cant remember.I wouldn"t cut them that tailgate is heavy without them.

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I didn't think about heating them up. When I did the lift, I did leave them on thinking that maybe they would bend themselves into the correct postion, but that didn't happen and the tailgate would bind up when I tried to open it. It was late at night and I needed the truck the next morning so I just cut them off. Now that someone mentioned heating them up, that might work just fine. But I'm going with a new bumper soon so I don't know if it will even work with it. Besides the tailgate isn't "THAT" heavy without them./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Read this<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=328601&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=blazer4x4&amp;Words=just%20finished%20lifting&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=328601>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=328601&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=blazer4x4&amp;Words=just%20finished%20lifting&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=328601</a>