Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just bought a 76 K5, first truck n am lookin for advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Jul 30, 2005.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

i got a 76 k5 on the 25th n im lookin for ne advice you guys got.
    right now its got a 400 smblk w/ 30k miles, a little rocker rust, t350, np205, stock axles n gears, w/ 4"lift and 33's

im tryin to turn this truck into a capable but affordable 4wheeler and daily driver for a 16 yr old student.
    im also lookin for stereo advice cuz the guy i bought it from took out the stereo
    also any cheap mods u guys could help me out w/ to get more power or milage would b sweet

thanks
    rick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2005
  2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

it's prolly a NP203 T-case.my 76 has 400/th350/203 combo.it had 3.08 gears they worked good for 31'' tires.the best mod i did is found a 3/4 ton chevy in someones yard for $200.it got me strong axles with 4.10 gears extra tranny and case,rear D-shaft to get shortend for when U do a lift.extra doors to make 1/2 doors.And it just happend to have edelbrock carb and intake that were still clean.

3. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

yea it is an np203

no its not a fulltime t-case, its got 4h, 2h, n, 2l, 4l hey if i can get an edelbrock performer intake used for 100 should i?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No 'parts wanted' in this forum please.

rene

5. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Setting up a new stero system would not be a very difficult task if thats one of the first things you want to get taken care of. Don't even mess with the stock blazer wiring harness becasue who knows what is still working on that truck. I ran all new wires and completly set up the system myself.

It's really not as hard as it seems. Just use the manual from the stero you get ( I suggest usuing Ebay to find a really good head unit for a great price) I bought my Pioneer head unit for my blazer for around 70 bucks and it went for around 270 in the stores. So you can find some really good deals there. The owners manual will tell you what each color coded wire goes to. You run one line straight to the batter, and the the ACC wire into a fuse in your fuse block. That way the unit will power on when you turn on the ignition. I just put the ACC wire stright into the "Radio" fuse on the fuse block. Then just run wires to the speakers you wish to use.

For speakers I again went to Ebay and got some nice pioneer 6x9s. I cut holes in my doors(manual windows only) and got to speaker boxes for the rear. Really good sound quality as well, and I think I got all four for about 40 bucks including shipping. Simply wire up those speakers in realation to the diagram you get with your receiver and you will be good to go. I know that may sound a little involved but really it's extremely easy, even if you don't know much about stero setup.

If you need any more info on a custom stero set up I can probably help you out with that, just let me know.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check your t-case again if that is the pattern I beleive it is a converted 203 to get 2 low out of a 205 I believe it has to be twinsticked

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The performer intakes will sell for $25-30 on ebay for a small block chevy. They are usually not worth $100 in used condition.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

That is the shift pattern for a NP203 tcase with a part time conversion. The std pattern for the NP203 is HI-LOC, HI, N, LOW, LOW-LOC