Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just bought a 90 jimmy sle. tranny issue help please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmysle, Jan 17, 2003.

1. jimmysle

jimmysle Newbie

I just bought a 1990 jimmy sle. The guy i know if a friend of a friend and said that the tranny is rebuilt and maybe has 100 mile on it. It never shifted properly when i got it and about 70 miles later, i have lost my 3rd and 4th gear. I belive it is a 700r4. I tried messing with the Throttle cable and maxing it out, but no luck. and it looks to be plenty full of tranny fluid. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and a soulution. I'll be talking with him toomorow, so any ideas would be helpfull. Thanks

2. jimmysle

jimmysle Newbie

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

To set the tv cable (truck off) open the carb full throttle and set the TV cable back to max that is a good place to start. the fluid is good to hmm I doesn’t look good buddy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The first sign that a 700r4 is dying is when it starts slipping in OD. I hate to tell you this, but if you have totally lost D and OD you're gonna be replacing the tranny real soon.

If I was you, I'd be getting ahold of your buddy's buddy and asking for proof that the tranny was just rebuilt. If the job was done by a shop, the tranny should be under warranty.....

5. Can Can

One more hint, brother- please fill out your profile. Name and location are really important beacuse we have members everywhere and one of us might live a couple of blocks away.

A complete profile helps us help YOU!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jimmysle

jimmysle Newbie

Ok, profile is complete. I belive the guy i bought it from is going to take care of it himself. The truck will have about a week downtime, but i guess better than paying 1000.00 beans. Thanks for the input.

7. Can Can

Good to hear that everything turned out OK. One other mod that you should consider is an auxilliary stacked plate tranny cooler. 700r4s hate heat, and the stock tranny cooler doesn't do a good enough job most of the time. You should also plan on servicing your tranny once a year. And most importantly, stay out of OD while driving around the city(I only use OD on the highway). When you're in overdrive at city speeds, the tranny is constantly shifting between OD and D which leads to excessive heat build up.

Thanks for filling out your profile, and welcome to CK5!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif