Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought a Boat!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by garlicbreath, Aug 31, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

It's a bit late in the season, but now is the best time to buy!
    I just picked up a 16 foot I/O Cobia tri-hull open bow with a 4 popper chevy motor. Someone told me it was the same as the vega motors? It's a Mercruiser 120.
    It's pretty quick, tows a tube or the knee board at about 40mph!

But once you get 4 people in the boat it gets sluggish.
    I am looking for some decent boat forums and some info on the motor, like what is the car or truck equivilent?
    It has the intake and exhaust on the same side and the timing cover is offset from center to the other side.
    Someone mentioned that it is an iron duke. I can get pictures this weekend.

Man, having a boat sure makes it hard to get to work!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Congrats on the purchase, brother!! Check out the forums over at boatfix.com or iboats.com.

FWIW, your 4-banger(it sounds like you have a Mercruiser 3.0) is probably performing about right. The best advice anyone ever gave me(thanks, Ryoken!!!!:bow:) when it came to buying a boat was buy the best, most powerful boat you can reasonably use, and don't try to justfy the cost.

Since I started boating, I've heard LOTS of stories like yours where a guy buys a boat he can "afford", only to realize that he should have spent more and bought the unit he "needs". Quite a few of the guys at the lake with smaller boats have told me the same story- "I should have just spent the money and bought a boat like yours........".

Regardless, it is what it is. As long as you don't expect it to pull a 250 lb guy out of the hole and get onto plane in 4 seconds, you won't be disappointed. Have fun, make sure you actually enjoy boating, and if the time comes that you feel the need to upgrade, go for it!!!! :thumb:

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Ryoken is the man around here for boats. If you have a question about yours you can PM' him and he will help you out. Cool guy.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

get a torque prop for pullin skiers up faster. My dads boat has a buick(not exactly sure on the size) and its sluggish when we get about 5-6people or towing two wakeboarders or 4 tubes, so we got a torque prop tons better :thumb:

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

That was kinda the plan.
    But for 300.00 bucks, with a trailer, there was NO way I could pass.
    Even if I put 200.00 into it, I could sell it for 1200.00 easy and use that money towards the boat I want.
    NY has wierd laws about boats regarding titles and such, the older ones are way easier to deal with, but maintenance can be a chore if the previous owner wasn't up to date with things.

What type of boat did you end up with Canmore?

As for if I like boating, I have wanted to call in every day this week just to go out. I also have the finger lakes and Lake Ontario all within an hours drive.

6. Can Can

$300?????? :yikes: Well, I can't blame you for starting off small, then.... :bow:

FWIW, I bought a 1999 Sea Ray 190 Signature BR with a 240 HP 5.0 Mercruiser and an Alpha Sterndrive. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

It's a very nice boat, and was basically brand new when I bought it. Although it's probably the most impractical thing I could have EVER spent money on, it has already provided the family with a ton of good memories. And that makes it worth every penny.......:thumb:

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the kind words boys.... :bow:

It's been interesting at the new place.... Doing stuff I never did before... Biggest thing has been learning to actual run the bigger boats.. Had never run something with twins before.. Test ran one of these the other day.. quite fun... :D

[​IMG]

And I'm actually getting to go get certified soon for Merc.. supposed to be going in a couple weeks.... Getting paid to go to school, awesome! :woot:

If I can be any help GB, give me a holla... :D

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    You can also try this site http://www.thehulltruth.com/
    They might be able to help you out.
    Sweet boat Ryoken! Bet you don't want to work on the small ones anymore.
    Can, you got a sweet boat too. It's a lot of fun when you can take the family out for a good time and all you see is smiles. I miss my old boat.

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Hey Paul, who's that fat guy on your boat???:eek1:

:p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

10. Can Can

That's my buddy Dave from Colorado. Grand Junction to be exact. Yeah, he needs to lose a few pounds, that's for sure.......:deal:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: