Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Bought a Brand New (not rebuilt) Steering Box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Nov 5, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a brand new steering gear box for my truck from these guys...

http://www.corvettesteering.com/index.html

These are great people to deal with. There is a gentleman there by the name of Tom who is the greatest. I guess there is a kind of unusual story here where the guys a Corvette Steering invested their retirement income on all of GM's steering gear boxes they had left in stock at their factory, and now Corvette Steering is one of the few places left where you can buy a factory new GM steering box for older full-frame GM cars and trucks at great prices. I bought my steering box for $325, and a factory new steering pump for $125. If anybody wants to buy a factory new steering box (and not a rebuilt one) I highly recommend Corvette Steering.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Since Cardone makes steering boxes for new vehicles and reman units for older ones, I'd suggest next time spending $200 on a reman box from Cardone which is just as good in my opinion as any new box and saving $125.

Just my no so humble opinion.

3. 1-ton

I have had too many bad experiences with remanufactured steering boxes. I have gotten several steering boxes that had come out of vehicles that were involved in a major accidents, and the gear box case was no longer true and straight, thus causing the box problems that would only show up close to full lock. I would rather spend the extra money on a sure bet.

4. 1-ton

This is me driving my truck with my worn out steering box /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif