Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought a Furd

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieRed, Nov 2, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, yeah. It's gonna be my DD/ Tow rig. Got a 10k hitch, GREAT running 360, some surface rust, but in real good shape. I'm gonna do a power brake conversion before any towing though. It runs real strong. It's a 72 F100 Longbed XLT. Got kind of a funk smell to it, but the radio picks up the country stations and is in real condition overall. Shifts real smooth and has REAL good power. Thought I'd let ya'll know.
    http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/4/59101224.htm

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. BowtieRed

ya'll aer so mad i got the cold shoulder. . . not even getting FLAMED. . . ouch /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

look at it this way. i love working on trucks, and what the hell needs more work than a ford?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Nice lookin truck man...haha not really but Im sure it runs and drives pretty good. Atleast you'll have somethin to work on. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Hey as long as it picks up the country stations then it dont matter what brand it is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey dont feel bad about buyin a furd, we own one too. But ours is a 91 f350 diesel. We had to buy it to pull our fifthwheel. The camper is 35' long and weighs about 12,000 pounds so we needed the diesel power! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Ever since chevy discontinued the camaro and impala ss(the REAL one with an LT1) I don't know about them.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Got kind of a funk smell to it, but the radio picks up the country stations and is in real condition overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you can listen to country your doin' fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

im about ready to put a bullet or 10or50 in my ford /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    good looking truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It's gonna be my DD/ Tow rig. Got a 10k hitch, GREAT running 360, <SNIP> It's a 72 F100 Longbed XLT.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you plan to tow? That 1/2 ton is going to be a lousy tow rig if you are towing your blazer. It wont have the brakes or spring capacity to handle 10K. 1/2 a cord of firewood will bottom out the springs on those F100's (reason why I sold mine and got a '66 GMC 3/4 ton a few years ago).

9. BowtieRed

wrong, it has rebuilt tranny, engine, and 1 ton springs with coil helpers.

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    wrong, it has rebuilt tranny, engine, and 1 ton springs with coil helpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your truck being modified doesnt make me wrong about a stock F100 /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif My '71 F100 Ford truck was maxed out with 1/2 cord of firewood. The springs were very soft and could not take much weight, the brakes were poor with 1/2 cord of firewood, the tires were about ready to blow from being overloaded. Adding stronger springs still doesnt make it a 1 ton. You still have 1/2 ton brakes, 1/2 ton axle, C load range tires, 1/2 ton frame... It is not up to the task of hauling around 10,000# or more. Springs alone dont make it a tow rig. Put that motor and tranny into a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with axles, frame, brakes, etc to match and you will be better off.

When I bought my '71 F100 I wanted a truck I could make into a street rod more than anything. But when I started to look at what I actually needed, a tow rig/heavy hauler, it wasnt even close. Looks like you found a nice truck that would make a good street rod or light duty hauler but dont expect it to last as a tow rig.

11. BowtieRed

springs aren't even close to maxed out with 1500lbs in the back (me and 8 heavy friends) as for not being up to pulling, well that's sorta right, the engine don't got a 4bbl, like i thought, and needs a little work. but it's got a tranny cooler and with a little bit of tuning and a 4bbl and maybe gears i think it'll pull my k5 fine. keep in mind 778 was the lightest year for a k5 so mine isn't anywhere near 10k. probably a little over 5.