Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought a Jeep for 30.00 bucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Aug 15, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have been looking for one of these at garage sales for a little while, well this morning on my way to drop Zach off at daycare I pass a garage sale and I spy this Jeep in the driveway, I almost locked the brakes up and pull over, the lady who got out before me looks it over but doesn't quite seem like a buyer. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif It had a price of 40.00 bucks on her but my wallet only contained 30.00, the selller thought for a minute and said sold.
    It does need a new battery though, I thought I would get a bigger one if anyone knows of a such a thing? I love the flame job on this baby, total pimp. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[​IMG]

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Sweet deal, I remember a while back seeing a post where some guys put car batteries in those things for their kids.

Somebody will chime in.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ask around I've seen them on here before, guys put big old 1200cca batteries in them and they rip haha

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Cool Find!!!! If I am not mistaken I think Rene runs a wheelchair battery in his kids! Its been along time since we talkled about it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now you need to yank the drivetrain in favor of some aluminum 4 links with small coilovers! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe some hacked down golf cart axles!!!! And 4WD!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is it missing the windshield? And wheres the CK5.com sticker going? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Is the front a Dana 3.0 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Might I suggest a glue gun locker for the rear! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Nice find /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Emmettology 101

Actually I think the rear is already locked ala solid axle...

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

8. A buddy of mine put a lawn mower battery in his sons Jeep when the old one went bad, and the thing will pull wheelies now. I guess the one he used must have had some more juice or something. I say throw a 1100cc motorcycle engine in the thing and some homegrown axles and a t-case and Zac could be your wheeling partner !!

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cool find, zach will be happy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Check out Pirate, there was a guy who rebuilt one of those and put coil over suspension on it! You could buy cheap coils from Summit Racing with 5" of travel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Looks like a stock Heep!

I will be looking for one of those in 2 years or so! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Need to put a 4" lift and some 35's on that bad boy!!!

I'm afraid to admit but....that thing would probably put my rig to shame offroad! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Good ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Yes, it is missing the windshield but how many hardcore Jeepers run the windshield? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Shawn, I think I will have to do some mods before I put Zach into any competition events, hell he needs to learn how to drive it first I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Emmettology 101

True, not many run windshields.. Too bad it wasn't a little larger scale, you could add a cage! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Too bad it wasn't a little larger scale, you could add a cage!

[/ QUOTE ]
    You still can, just go to home depot of lowe's and get some plastic water pipe of appropiate diameter and some elbows and make a cage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Why would he have to learn how to drive? You never did ! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. edman87

edman87 Registered Member

My buddy's mom is a total jeep buff and organizes some of the jamborees. She got one of these things at a yard sale for 10$ with no battery or charger, we put in the largest lawn-mower battery that would fit and it worked like a charm. We decided to cruize it around the driveway and it would haul even my 200 pound a$$ around pretty well. Their neighbors got a kick out of it at least!

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

19. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

There's some pretty good "PowerWheels Modding" info in this link:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=763274&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

The BigFoot in this post lasted about 2 months and then it shredded the gears on one of the rear motors. I'm pretty sure it was from the 10-year-old neighbor kid riding it, but it had a lot of miles on it anyway so it's hard to say what did it in.

The battery is now on a Heep that seats two, and the Boy gives rides in it now! This was actually a great investment because the Boy learned to drive really well in these things, and he's just a couple weeks away from the Big 3.0 Years Old!!!

Before I put the car battery in, I had the BigFoot wired up with the battery charger just to make sure it worked. I had it on a 50' extension cord, and tied the charger on behind the seat with some of the extra cord. I tied off the other end to the front porch, so that the Boy was 'Tethered' to the front yard during his 'Training Period'... He caught on pretty fast and graduated to 'Car Battery Driving' within a few days. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ***Standard Disclaimer... You MIGHT be a Redneck IF you have your childrens' toys held together with spare live power cord! NOT for the standard suburban PowerWheels!!! ...Standard Disclaimer*** /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

The Car Battery last several days without charging. Even with two kids in it I don't think I've charged it more than 4 or 5 times in a couple of months. (They don't drive it every day... ???) The major downside to the car battery is the weight... I put it in the front out of laziness and also fear that the extra weight on the drive wheels would do the motors in prematurely. The BigFoot front end held up to the weight pretty good but the Heep has to undergo a 'StrongArm Realignment' of the bent front axles periodically. My Heep does NOT have flames though, which may indicate a weaker front axle than the 'Flamed' versions... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

On one hand, my working knowledge and experience with Modding PowerWheels is a testament to how much of a social life I have outside the home... I think the Boy has put more miles on his PowerWheels in the past 6 months than I have put on the K5! On the other hand, someday when the Boy is telling his friends about how he has a 1200cc motorcycle engine on his 50cc 4-wheeler frame, I'll rate mega-high on the 'Cool-Dad-O-Meter'.

Sal

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cool deal Steve! We got one of those for my daughter when she was 5 and it also needed a battery. A bit of simple wiring was all that was needed to use a gell cell (deep cycle) wheelchair battery. It's got quite a bit more oomph and it'll go a couple days between charges. My oldest daughter 'drove' it for 3 years and now my little one (3 1/2) is driving it.

The hard part is finding a source for new tires. In high gear with a 45 pound kid it just bakes the rear tires...kinda cool but they wear faster than TSL's in a burnout comp. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

After she got used to it my oldest daughter got quite good at putting that thing anywhere she wanted it. I saw her one day driving down our walk and onto the driveway which is slightly downhill. When she got to the back end of the wife's XJ she took her foot off the gas, (which applies automatic braking) the rear tires locked up...she gave the wheel a jerk to the right and stood on it again, performing this perfect little powerslide around my wife's Cherokee.

BTW a 12 volt battery is much easier for charging too...you just hook up a regular battery charger and it takes about 4-5 hours versus 18 or so with the crummy powerwheels charger.

Rene