Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought a travel trailer...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mr_clean, Jun 5, 2005.

1. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 99 Terry 25' ultra light for camping/hunting...
    [​IMG]
    Any suggestions as far as what to take and what could possibly go wrong with it?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

4 inch lift and 33's, maybe a sway-bar quick disconnect!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Is this your first trailer?

4. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Yeah, first trailer. Rented a motorhome once, and have camped in them before but I've never had one...

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Good score! :)

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 27' Springdale Lite made by Keystone about 3 weeks ago. My family has always had campers and they are alot of fun. The main problem with campers in the past was the roof leaked after a few years. The new rubber roofs have eliminated alot of those problems but it is still better if you can store it under a shed or something. You should wash the roof with roof conditioner about twice a year. Also, when you store it make sure it's close to level. I'm told that the refrigerator can ruin itself if it's out of level for extended periods. These things dont have compressors but somehow they circulate something (not sure what) and sitting out of level is not good. A new one is about $1200. One last thing is that I leave the windows slightly open when stored, for ventilation. Other than that just keep it up like you would expect to.

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I know very little bought trailers but I did say at a holiday in last night ;)

Ok I did work as a electrician at a trailer park and the biggest problems seem to be getting and mataining bearings it just sean to be a forgotton part – It could have 6 seasons on it so I say look and keep some with your spare tire

8. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Nice!! I am jealous. I've been drooling over travel trailers for the past few months. We are planning to rent one late summer/early fall for a trip to Yellowstone.

Have fun with it!!

9. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tips all!!!

Leaks was one of my biggest worries, I was planning on cleaning it up and then going around the windows with RTV. Before winter, I'll deffinately do something to the top to make sure all the vents and A/C stuff are all sealed up. I didn't know about roof conditioner though, good to know they make something specifically for that!!!

I'm taking the first trip in it in 2.5 weeks, so I will check and repack the bearings this weekend.

My family is pretty excited!!! No more washing the 3 yr old in a bucket on the table or air mattresses deflating!!! Of course the wife is pretty happy with not having to use the outhouses...

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea it's pretty sweet having a clean hot shower. As for the roof conditioner, any camper dealer should sell it. In fact Wal-Mart may have it.

11. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

As far as putting that stuff on, is it ok to crawl around on top of the trailer or is it better to get some kind of mop to put that stuff on and stay off the top as much as possible?

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Nice!! We're looking at pop-ups, but I'm leaning more towards something like that more and more.

Very nice looking! Looks like fun, I'm jealous!

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've owned 3 different travel trailers so far. Here's what I consider to be the biggest issues around them:

1. You've probably got a one-piece rubber roof. They are the cat's ass, but make sure you regularly inspect the silicone sealant around the tank vent lines, AC unit, and roof vents. Also be very careful when pulling into camping spots with low overhanging branches. Sharp branches can and will tear the rubber membrane. That being said, rubber roofs are pretty tough. You can walk on them in soft soled shoes without worry. I wouldn't worry about treating the rubber with conditioner unless it starts to look really chalky.

2. Keep a close eye on your water connections, especially if you plan on taking the sucker off the beaten path. Most water pumps have threaded fittings and those can work themselves loose after awhile. ALWAYS TURN OFF YOUR WATER PUMP IF YOU DON'T NEED THE WATER TURNED ON!!!!!

3. Repack your bearings and adjust your brakes annually if you do lots of towing.

4. If you plan on pooping in the toilet, make sure to put 5 gallons of water into the black tank before you use it. Avoid putting toilet paper in the tank- it really clogs it up and can affect the accuracy of your tank sensors. Flush all of your holding tanks a couple of times a year.

That's all I can think of right now. I know there's more but my brain is on slo-mo right now. If you have any questions, PM me your phone # and I'll give you a call, brother!!!

14. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Thanks Paul!!!

I will be doing the wheel bearings this weekend. If I come up with any questions I will PM you. Thanks again all!!!

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Travel TRAILER???

Travel TRAILER?? :eek1: --thats a rolling HOME!! :D ...NICE!!!..

.I am hoping to score a trailer,or perhaps an old slide in camper --I have an 81 G10 Van I used to travel in,its got a bed and is a homemade "conversion" van..but its off the road for the past year and a half,its seen better days..I missed a super deal on an Airstream 20' trailer a few months ago--the owner was diagnosed with cancer,and decided to sell his truck,trailer,and a motor home he had,since he doubted he'd ever be able to use them anymore..the Airstream sold for 900 bucks! :mad: ---it was an older one,but in very good condition-.
    -I always liked those trailers--they look like an aluminum blimp!--and they never rust out or leak,and they all look the same,so no worries about it looking "dated"....maybe when I'm rich I'll get to buy one...but for now I'm looking for alternatives if I get kicked out of my moms house after she passes on--she's pretty sick,and I might not be able to live here after that occurs--and I'd rather have something bigger than my van to live in if it comes to that!..looks like you'll be living large at the campground this year!... :crazy:

16. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

That puppy is Sweet !!!
    It takes a while to feel comfortable enought to pull out the awning and not think that it will roll up in a ball [like the one I saw Petaluma KOA].There are LOTS of places to go to get out of the hot summer sun, my way. Like ,Cassini Ranch in Duncans Mills or Parkers Resort in Geurneville or Van Damme in Mendocino State park.Check these pupps out,good times to be had there .We just found Parkers resort and it is so peaceful there .It is right on the Russian River with its own private beach to the river and revservations are really not needed ,but call first!!! If you like the beach ,check out a pace in Dillion Beach !!! Its wide open camping and its cool to see the fisherman culture.
    My wife loved me to get the trailer "love machine" out before we went ,so she could pack it .She would go to the store for food ,then bring it in the house ,then we would put it in the trailer ??? I was missing something ??? Now that was too much work for me ! I get the trailer the night we are going away and we stop at the store along the way and pack it with food that night .Sometimes we set up camp and go for a beer in the destination town and after the suds go down ...we go shopping for food !!
    The way back is almost the same .We pack the tow car with dirty clothes and all food .She unloads it into the house fridge and washer .I take the trailer to my parents for free storage !!! Team work pays off ! After all it is suppose to be a little vacation !!!

17. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

We go to Dillons every year. Usually we rent a house, but this year we'll be staying in Lawsons (close to the crabbing)!!!
    I stayed in Van Damme once in 1981 and it was awesome, but I havent' been back... Might have to schedule that one though!!!

My neighbor has been trying to get me to Cassini for the Civil War Days thing they do there. He goes every year.

I love hanging out on the ocean... Sea Ranch is a pretty sweet stay too, but I don't think there is any camping in the Sea Ranch area, just house rentals...