Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought a truck in NY, now how to get it back to VA??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by protechk5, Jan 11, 2006.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I just bought a k5 on 42s in NY. My plan is to use a tow bar :mad: and slap some 35's in place of the 42s and pull it with a 1/2 truck. If this works well ill just end up doing that. But if it gets too bad, does anyone know the laws in NY and PA for driving a newly bought truck? The guy has the title, tho its a 89 with a 86 body on it, so i dont know which title he has. The truck currently is not registered. In Va all the trucks I ve ever bought is just slap a plate from my truck and just follow someone else driving it, but im not sure about PA or NY? Also my dad tells me when you buy a new truck or car that our insurance covers it for like 15 days or something when you sign the title over, not 100% on that one either. Any ideas? No one i know has a trailer that can fit a full witdth, and i really dont want to rent one either. Any help is :bow::bow: Thanks

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Check the NY/PA/MD DMV websites. They'll have information about that situation. To do it "legally" driving through the state might cost some $$$ for a temp tag / permit deal.

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Late at night....drive the speed limit:wink1:

And my insurance is how your dad says.

4. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

In NJ you can't use the tow dolly type thing you must have it all 4 wheels on a trailer. That was a couple of years back it may have changed though. I don't think you can use the tow bar. In NJ you can't even pump your own gas So be careful.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have State Farm, and they cover me for 30 days after a new purchase.

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I can't help you with the insurance part, but I can tell you that a fullsize trailer is going to be by far the safest way to tow it. If you absolutely can't get a trailer, flat tow it. I've seen so many accidents and near misses using tow dollies, it's not even funny.