Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just bought an 85 K-20 minus engine for dirt cheap, and pretty damn good body,

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Mar 11, 2006.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hmm, a new dilemma, as of today,

unexpectantly snagged up an '85 K-20(base GVWR) longfleet pickup(has 700r4 and 208 and 10 bolt/9.5 SF 3.23 ratio)

whole truck minus engine,
    good floors and such,
    and only real rust is pass side cab corner and pass side door bottom(i have a good clean replacement door stashed away),
    otherwise no real rust through, and paint is shiny

what should i do with it ?

i dont think i want ot invest a bunch of work putting another engine in it, hmm

but it would be a great rig, without hardly anything else other than the engine install

is stock factory suspension and steering and everything, untouched, still original stock hubcaps and painted wheels and all, powr doors, good seat, good this and that

hum

think i should just gonna part it for the goodies

i need the door glass driver side i know, and the cargo light assembly, for the 77

dunno what else,

good steering box it has,

or maybe i should just stash it away and leave it alone until i can/want to put an engine back in it and run it,

otherwise it would really be a bad waste of a good 3/4 rig/chassis and easily fixable cab and good body stuff, etc

but im burnt out on doing major vehicle stuff like this these days, am getting older, have done too much ofd this in the past, jaded,

tired of the hassles and problems that occur when doing stuff like this, not to mention time and cost, etc,

hum, what should i do,

http://chicago.craigslist.org/car/141115773.html

thanks for anything

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Fix the rust, then think about what to do. By then, it'll be further into Spring, and people like to buy straight rollers when it warms up, and you never know, when you get the metal all good, you might take a liking to it.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I find that weird that a K20 would have the 700R4 tranny rather than the more common TH400.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

mine had the 700r4, 52" leaf springs (instead of 56" like most 3/4 tons) and 3.42s

its hard to say what to do, i have a similar desicion to make, but its an 81 k20. ill probably throw a diesel in it if i can find one. would make a good DD/tow rig.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah im leaning towards parking it and just forgetting about it for a while, til later in the year, really would be a shame to waste it, but if someone buys it then thats cool, and if not then oh well, thats cool too, ill just leave it alone either way- for now at least, ill just let it sit out here and look pretty with the rest of the vehicles, good thing i have no wife or anything, id of bene divorced long ago,, i can just imagine it now, all the parts, all the vehicles, etc, looks like i will always be a bachelor, heh

hmm

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a diesel yes, it would make a good tow rig, i still kinda want a diesel rig, hmm.. :D
    you have pics of the 81 anywhere?

yep 700r4 was not reserved just for the 1/2 tons

see 700r4 in 3/4 ton all the time, common, 2wd also, and see AOD trans in late model 3/4 tons and 1 tons all the time too, nothing odd at all, is jkust a trans opption, nothing to do with the model of the truck, or GVWR

this 85 im sure has the short springs in it too, i bet ya, being that it is a very light GVW 3/4 ton

but then alot of the 77-80 k20 had the short springs too, even with their common heavier GVWR those years

GM was odd like that

7. big83chevy4x4

nope, no pics of the 81 here, its still sits at my friends house since i bought it 3 months ago:1zhelp:

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh, lol, well at least you own it :D

so thats cool :D

what do you think you may do with/to it most likely ?

no clue eh ?

same boat here :D

i just told a friend about the 85 and he said he wants to see it when my other friend who i bought the truck from brings to me,
    he has a 454 he is building up and wants to put into a 4x4 truck
    so there may be a sale, of a certain 85 k20, to him, at first he was wanting to get the 77 off me, but i was like nope i like it too much, not for sale

peace out :P

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

You shelled out $500 for $75 worth of scrap metal? :confused:

And here I am thinking $500 for a 72 C20 that has a SBC400/TH400, a spare SBC400/Th400 and a complete 72 GMC front clip that is rust and dent free is a deal. :screwy:

10. big83chevy4x4

i actually miss driveing a stock truck, something reliable that gets good millage. i also want to tow my 83 with it so i don't have to drive it to go wheeling.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

75 ? rofl!

shredder scrap- including cars- is over 100 a ton pay here,

scrap metal is $$$$

if i parted it and scrapped the rest then id make a good chunk, or if i just filled it up with scrap and took it in complete,

but im not gonna, im gonna sell/trade it or just let it sit til i figure it out

but the 89 astro ill be hauling to shredder though,
    after i fill it up with junk, i can drive it onto the trailer :D

you should see what the junkyards make when they haul in crushed cars, they can get up to 12 crushed cars on a semi trailer, box or flat, 52 foot,

they make a huge killing, its big business here, scrapping cars and metal,

thousands$

most ppl wont mess with removing and selling nay pats because its literally less trouble and same or more $ to just leave the parts on for extra weight, even radiators and such,

so many ppl i know own a trailer that its crazy, for the sole purpose of hauling to the shredder, cuz it pays, its a big thing
    make a hell of a lot more money hauling scrap than you can at any job, they pull in 3 or 400 each load, just on a car trailer, it takes a week or more to make that much at a job, you make over a thousand a week hauling in cars and junk by yourself, or with a friend, i guess scrap isnt worth $ everywhere

yall are getting ripped off at your shredder yards if not,
    you should be getting at least 75 a ton just for shredder scrap alone, thats cars, appliances, any metal other than prepared iron or cast iron or etc, as those pay alot more even
    or maybe you guys dont have real car shredder type yards there, mountains of cars many tens of stories high, stacked in huge piles, huge cranes,

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006