Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just bought k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bruboy720, Feb 18, 2003.

1. bruboy720

bruboy720 Registered Member

I just bought a 86 k5. It was previously owned by a kentucky school district. I was wondering what size tires i can run off of stock suspension. I was also wondering what rims and size you would reccomend. I was thinking along the lines of eagle 589.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

the eagle 589 imo is an awesome looking rim. tire size depends on the condition of your springs, i have always had 32x1150's on my 2 blazers, and my dads civilian one and i never rubbed and it looker good too. some poeple with really good front springs can run 33's no prob. and if you get into fender trimming then you can go even bigger. 15x8 with a 32 looks pretty good. 15x10 is good too if you plan to lift or fit bigger tires later on. good luck and welcome to the club

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

One of the best things about this site is that owners of K5's can ask questions new to them. I support the search function, but honestly sometimes I just don't have the time(especially when its raining..getting dark...snowing..) and I need some quick help. I like being able to ask a question about timing, springs, carbs, distributors and so on even though it has been discussed before and receiving great help from the members here, who I am sure have answered these questions many times. I have learned much, will learn much and will always answer a question with an answer if I know it(or think I know it!). Don't get me wrong, I have used the search function many times, just not all the time.

Welcome to this site bruboy72

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't always use the search feature either, but in most cases I already know the basics and am asking for more in-depth info. I have also been in an emergency repair situation and asked questions without searching- this is to be expected, IMO.

But my main point stays the same- if more newbies read the FAQs and used the search option there would be a lot less of these kinds of posts.

5. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Canmore is right the search function should be used more and when it comes from a "SENIOR" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif member we should listen , But most of our elders are reasonable and expect the occasional repeditive question . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bruboy720

sorry i didnt know you guys only talk about carbs and distributors and were too good to answer a simple question but i guess theres never time to even answer the question when you type all that out.

7. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I would have answered your question but the question was SO Subjective I refrained from playiny that " I like this or I dont like that" type of discussion , because what you like and what I like are 2 different things so ultimately it's YOUR truck , go to the tire shop and buy the tires and wheels that "light your bulb" . Your money , NOT mine . If you dont like the set up here go to Pirate and have those poser's bash you awhile then you'll come back with a different attitude and realize us Colorado K5 guys are much more open to answering GOOD questions . /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Go with 8" wide 589's with 32" tires and you should be fine for the street and easy off-road, might have to trim a little off the trailing edge of the front fender. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Also, this may help: http://coloradok5.com/tirefitmenttable.shtml

9. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

milspecjimmy pretty much nailed it for you. 33's look great but you may need a trim. personally, I like the look of the rallye rims... with a fresh coat of silver paint that is. 15x8 is wide enough and it cheap!

as for the search, you learn how to surf any site after you browse it a bit. I hope newbie bashing (hazing?) doesn't turn you off to a great site like this that is FULL of excellent information and a lot of great guys that are willing to share it!

10. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

its not that anyone is too good to answer your question, but when you see it 4-5 times a week, it gets kinda old, hell that question is prolly on this same page, Its prolly a good idea not to be so aggresive to people like Canmore, He may have an answer to your question some time, and he'll remember how you talked to him, and may choose not to answer

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If the tires you currently have on it are good, run with them for awhile. It wasn't long after I bought my K5 that dreams of lifts and big tires started filling my head. Best advice I can give is to figure out what ALL you want to use your truck for, and decide how big of tires you'll NEED and how big of a lift, (If any) you'll have to have to clear those tires. Keep in mind, if you go with larger tires, you MIGHT need to change the gears in your axles.

12. 84K5cedric

you got that right!!! my 33's lasted about 3 weeks before I went to 35's and now i wish i had held out for 37's or so! it never ends.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Sometimes it goes the other way though. This weekend, I'll be trading my 38's for some 35's. There is such a thing as TOO BIG, believe it or not!

14. cheyenne_77

cheyenne_77 Registered Member

I am building a 77 K5 here in Australia. (i Have one of 4 here). What would you say would be the tallest tire given, taking in consideration the truck is going to be prepared for it, running the stock factory diffs and having reliability? (if it is any help, mine came out with the 400 ci) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. 84K5cedric

I've read 35's are the biggest recommended tire size for stock axles.

16. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

lol theres 4 k5's in austrailia, and you got one? thats hella cool man.... My brothers friend brought somone to my house that was visiting him from austrlia, and he was taking pictures of my truck, saying how hes never seen anything like that in Australia.

17. Big Block Dave

Big Block Dave Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry i didnt know you guys only talk about carbs and distributors and were too good to answer a simple question but i guess theres never time to even answer the question when you type all that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spend most of my internet time on chevelles.com, so I have familiarity with how a GOOD message board functions. I feel this board is of the same calibre. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I jump on here from time to time, mostly reading, occasionally asking, and will try to devote more time to helping people, since they have been good to me, when I ask a question (my 4x4 knowledge is slim, but a high percentage of mechanical knowledge is pretty much universal between GM product).

We too have many many many questions that get asked over and over....."whats the biggest tire and rim you can fit under a 68 Chevelle"......."whats the best way to put my 396 in the 11's".....and the summertime favorite of "my small block is running hot, blah blah blah".

On any board there is a list of overly frequently asked questions.......almost all have a search function. Always try the search function first, and if you dont get what you want, start a fresh post.

Anyway, my point is this, if you want to get something, you need to play nice in the sandbox. Eventually you will have to give something back. However, with that said, you dont just barge into the house and piss people off with what you think is the way things should be.

Hope you are enjoying your new truck and have the credit card ready to burn on the phone with Jegs;)
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

By the way, this discussion (search function) is not new.....just use the search function. Do you remember your first question? I would bet it was not the first time it was asked. No friction here. I enjoy the site and use the search, I just think it is more important to welcome you potential members than to start off with a scolding. The scolding can happen on the second question! Do you remember your second question....

19. bruboy720

sorry about being mean about that stuff. I was just kinda upset and thought that i was going to get no help in this whole deal. I appreciate the help alot.

20. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks like you're back on everyone's "good side" now..... no harm done, you'll enjoy this site ALOT!!!

By the way, step 2 is filling out your profile!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's another pet peeve for some around here.... it really is important to help us understand what kind of vehicle you have (not necessary on THIS post, but you'll get tired of telling us every time you ask a question!) and you never know, there might be someone from this board who lives close by who can help you out with parts....or may end up being a "wheeling buddy"!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif