Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought my first K5 (1985)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by titus95, Sep 18, 2005.

1. titus95

titus95 Registered Member

~Vehicle was babied yet it has the usual rust wounds on it. I plan to fix them...typical spots and have found several online places to get panel patches...I could use some tips if any would like to give them as well as any general info to look out for when fixing the rust (it will be my first attempt). It has a Crate engine in it, 2yrs ago and only has 22,000 miles on it. It has a 400 turbo transmission but here is my question...there is a ticking/slight knocking right where the oil pan and tranny meet...it goes away or is not as loud when I put it in gear. It doesn't sound like a lifter or even a rod, find it hard to believe since it is a pretty new engine. I believe it is in the tranny and gives all the signs that it is...it doesn't slip and drives really nice its just that damn noise is loud...any ideas or suggestions...I appreciate it.~

2. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

check the flywheel bolts? or is it flex plate bolts? (im a newb i know)

i remember reading how s10s(i used to have one) would have loose bolts once in a while.

3. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

it might be torque converter to flex plate

4. titus95

I crawled under her today and checked out most of the bolts ( that I could reach) to see if they were loose. I did find one but that did not cure the problem. I'm interested to know how I would fix the problem if it is the torque converter to flex plate? I know it is in the tranny because it ticks loud when I idle the engine but once it is in gear you can barely hear the ticks. I added some Lucus Tranny fix and it seemed to have helped a little but the tick is still there. I appreciate the info.

5. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Just because Ive run into atleast a dozen times. You should check the flexplate for cracks.

6. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

i cracked a flex plate in my s10 and when it broke(showed no symptms before) it still drove but drove like a washing machine that was unbalanced.

7. titus95

Thank you for the info...very helpful. Wife just drove off in it (she loves it). But I'm doing everything possible in checking the flexplate tonight. I will take some tips...thank you again.

8. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I had the same noise after the trans shop rebuilt my trans. I knew what is was (cracked flexplate) and took it back. The trans people did not want to do anything for me. They told me 400.00 to replace it. Lets just say I slam them all I can and will never go back. I got a TCI SFI one and did it myself. I took the motor out to do it. I had some leak issues in the engine anyway. The flywheel was all cracked around the bolts. I did not even loosen the bolts to take it off. Just one pul and it all broke apart. I suggest getting it fixed soon. Cause if it all breaks off it will cause more damage.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

9. titus95

The more research I do the more it seems like the flexplate (because) when I go to start it some times, it will almost act like the battery is dead then it will just fire right off. Is this because the starter and flexplate are not properly aligned...I know it needs fixed but can I do this myself (pretty mechanically inclined) and if so, can I just drop the tranny or do I need to pull the whole engine?

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats on your new blazer :D if the flexplate is bad just drop the tranny and put in a new flexplate

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a cracked flexplate to me. They crack in a circle around the bolt holes. Check this area and im sure you will find your problem. Just dont drive it for too long like that...I have seen them completely break.
    -Harrison

12. titus95

Just an update and quick question...spoke with mechanic and he said it sounded like the bolts that are attatched to the flexplate and torque converter are loose...he said to just tighten them. Is this easy or hard to get done with the tranny in place...he said it could be done without yanking the tranny...appreciate any thoughts.

PS-I've always been a huge Jeep fan (have two) but with the new addition of the K5 to the family...I'm super excited and can't wait to only add to it!

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

to tighten the bolts just pull the dust cover if you have one. tighten the bolt you can get to. the with an end wrench put it on the tightened bolt and turn the flexplate till you can tighten the next one. then just repet for the next :D

14. titus95

SWEET!!! :D FIXED IT!!
    Just wanted to say thank-you to everyone and their help. I found two loose bolts on the toruqe converter and it fixed the knocking and rattle problem. There were no cracks on the flex plate and it looked solid. She purrrrrrs now. Thank you once again and I look forward to getting more helpful advice here because I'm sure going to need it.

15. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

cool...glad ya got it fixed. thats what this place is for, learning.

16. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

cool. glad you got it fixed. now post some pics :D .