Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought my first K5 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Uzaree, May 3, 2007.

1. Uzaree

Uzaree Registered Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Sorry for the bad pictures, they were taken by my wifes camera.

When I was a kid some of the best memories out 4 wheeling in Tennessee was in one of these old Blazers. Well at 30 years old I finally bought one. Well reall I got two... I traded some D44 axles for one and a tube chassis for another hehe. So I have an 84 K5 and a 76 K5. The engine is blown in the 84 but everything is running fine in the 76. I'm going to basicly add to this tech post each time I do something to it. I have a lot planned for the 84 so here's my list.

remove cover
    clean inside
    replace kick plates
    swap engine (I have an LT1, a 454, and another 350 to choose from)
    tube doors
    tube bumpers
    roll cage
    lift for 37" boggers
    swap in new axles
    new seats

These are in no particular order, but I did start with removing the cab and seats.

So the first project I did only took me a few hours and that was tube doors. I sat down at the computer to draw up how I wanted my doors to look. I had a few main functions, I wanted somewhere to put my arm as an arm rest and I wanted it wide open for the most part so I could see. The secondary function is I wanted it to look good also.

Here are a few pictures of it when I first got it to the shop.[​IMG]
    Here are a few after we start taking her apart.

Thats my boy!

Next I started on the tube doors! I've never made tube doors before on a blazer so I drew out the plates and skins on my CNC table. Just FYI the skins aren't really there for strength, just looks. I wanted to break the door up a bit. Also the holes in the skins have been dimple died.

Here I am making sure it fits as an arm rest :D