Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought my first K5, very bad first outing...WTF!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dirt Squirter, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Dirt Squirter

Dirt Squirter Registered Member

I finally located a '73 K5 in my area today, went and bought it, filled up the tank and took it out to a local wheeling spot. It has the 203 with the part time conversion, a mild 350 with the turbo 350 tranny, 4" Ranncho lift and 33's. I figured I'd just put around a bit and see what I was working with. Things were going fine until decided to put it into what I thought was 4-lo and head for a nice little hill climb that was a joke for my old Ramcharger (TF727, NP241, and 36" TSL's, 9 1/4 with Detroit, D44, 4:56's). The hill is extremely rutted hard packed dirt with softball size rocks all over it. I took off for the steep hill with a good head of steam and made it about half way, just to the point of no return when I realized that only my back tires were spinning. The off camber accent slid my front end around just to the point where a roll-over was eminent. I let off the gas and it died. F'n flooded the beeyawtch. I started it up again, tried to straighten out but my front end only slid farther downwards, luckily there was a nice healthy oak tree strategically located in the right spot to not only rip a huge chunk out of the fiberglass shell but to keep me from rolling down the hill as well. Picture this, I'm in a rig that wont go into 4 lo, my engine is flooded and wont idle, if I try to go forward I'll disengage from the oak tree and most likely roll, my tires are barely grabbing, I'm wearing flip flops, I'm surrounded by poison oak, my wife is calling my cell phone all pissed off 'cause I'm late for dinner, my chew spitter completely emptied into my lap, and I'm kinda fat to top it all off. So I do the only thing I can, I point my wheels downhill, rev it to about 2000 and slam it into reverse...... yee hawww!! I get off the tree after smoking the rears on some rocks. All of a sudden I hear a nasty grinding coming from what I think is the tranny/transfer case region. I'm thinking I just grenaded the old NP203. I coast to the bottom of the hill, kill the motor and I'm welcomed by the lovely sound of some form of fluid splashing all over the ground. Upon peaking underneath I realize that it's coolant!? Hmm, did the motor bust loose and take out the radiator? WTF, turns out that in my haste to go test my new 4X that I forgot to check and see if the battery was strapped down. It had fallen into the fan and took out one of the hoses. Luckily it just ripped the hose of the inlet and I was able to get the hose clamp off and back on using a dime since I havent transfered my tools to this rig yet. Well I didn't roll and I made it home in time for dinner. At least I know now that I need to strap the battery in and adjust the transfer case linkage so I can get into 4 lo, that is if the 203 aint f'd up. Oh yeah, the old 33's on this thing still had a lot of tread but were weathered pretty good, I tore about 20 lugs off on each side. I will be surprised if I dont have 2 flats in the morning. I don't really know what the moral of this story is, if anything... make sure you have a good cup-holder for your spitter.
    I just wanted to say hi to all you K5ers and warn ya that now I'm a member and I have many lame and redundant questions for ya.

Earl

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

ROCK ON!!

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Welcome Earl...
    Glad you had a good heart worming, welcome to the family experience with yur new found K5...

Glad it wont be the last one too...

lol

I was rolling laughing my @ss off dude.. the spitter cup tops it all off too well ...lol

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Great story! Hope it all works out for you and is mostly uphill from here! Oh, and the moral of the story is - Always do a safety check on a new rig before taking it wheeling for the first time. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'll second that...and here's another.

"Never wheel alone...especially in flip flops" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

rene

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Never wheel with your spitter cup above your lap...LOL

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i think the best moral is never spill the spitter...always use a bottle or cup that you can put a top on

Later

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I think the most scary part is when the wife starts calling, many times it takes longer to fix her than it takes to fix the damn truck. I speak from personal experience /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

ROTFLMAO!!! Yup, that's usually my worst casualty of any trip I take! My wife gets REAL pissed every time I come home w/ more broken stuff. It usually costs me more to "fix" her than it does to fix my truck! I don't bother with the cosmetic stuff anymore...just the mechanical! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    my chew spitter completely emptied into my lap

[/ QUOTE ]
    No that sucks...LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Just think though...if you had went out and the K5 had just climbed up the hill and you had no problems, would you remember the experience five years from now? I'd pretty much guarantee that even when you get old and grey, you will remember this experience with fonder memories over many easy four wheel expeditions. One suggestion though might be to empty out the spitter a little more often.

12. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Man that sucks. At least the good old bowtie took you home. For future refernce, always just spit out the window, that's what I do now after the same thing happened to me.

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What an adventure! We had a big competition back in March and one of our tech inspection items was a securely mounted battery. About 50% of the rigs that came through had to do work on that before we would pass them. You wouldn't believe the number of people who wheel with a non-secured battery or one held in with bungee cords!

Glad you made it home to wheel another day!

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what are ya chewing? if it is cope, or kodiak, you better be gutting it!!!.
    where you located? fill out your profile. i got a top off a 74 for sale, he he. sounds like you need a new one.
    in in az. glad to see you made it home. congrats on a new K5.
    grant /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

15. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Eh, get a cage and go topless /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

now that nothing really major happened...and you DIDNT roll your k5...THIS is the time to sit back and laugh your ass off!! lol /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif by the way welcome to ck5...joining this sight is one of the smartest things you have ever done! heheh... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Heart worming ? Hope he got his nails clipped and a flea dip to !!!
    Jim

18. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

&gt;&gt;At least I know now that I need to strap the battery in and adjust the transfer case linkage so I can get into 4 lo, that is if the 203 aint f'd up

My battery fell out on my K10 about 3 times until I finally tied it down after it broke my AC line. Another time I forgot to tie the battery down in my K30 and it fell out and grounded to my radiator but I got lucky on that one. Try oiling the t-case shifter first before adjusting it; mine wouldnt go into 4wd, I sprayed some WD40 down in it and it works just fine now.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I just don't understand why anybody would not have their battery securly tied down. I've seen 2 trucks burn to the ground because of loose batteries, it just isn't worth saving the $15 and 30 minutes of time to install a good battery hold down kit. If the tray is rusted out you can get a new one from the dealer for less than $20.

The last truck I saw burn down was this dude's that went to Pismo with us. He had just finished rebuilding his K5 from the last time it burned down, but didn't install a battery hold down during the rebuild. He hit a big hole at night, the bungee cord broke and his battery bounced off the tray, landed on the fuel line, grounded out, lit the fuel on fire then split open. the thing was pretty much totalled before it got put out.

I got to the wreckage as they were just getting it put out, by dumping the contents of 2 coolers onto the engine and about 50 pounds of sand into the interior to put the dash out. Oh yeah, he didn't have a fire extinguisher either, but that's a rant for another time /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif . </font color>

20. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

You wouldn't believe the number of people who wheel with a non-secured battery or one held in with bungee cords!

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey, i resemble that remark /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I'm in a rig that wont go into 4 lo, my engine is flooded and wont idle, if I try to go forward I'll disengage from the oak tree and most likely roll, my tires are barely grabbing, I'm wearing flip flops, I'm surrounded by poison oak, my wife is calling my cell phone all pissed off 'cause I'm late for dinner, my chew spitter completely emptied into my lap, and I'm kinda fat to top it all off.

[/ QUOTE ] hehe, welcome, and uh, NO WHINING /forums/images/icons/grin.gif (j/k)

uh, next time stick the flip flop in HER mouth /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and every phone has a off botton. one time she tried to get me to take my cell fishing... NEVER HAPPEN!!!

all I have to say is, better be for checkin those spider gears, definitly. and if you are near Wa, i have buddies giving away tops. but not full conv, just 76 and later.