Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought my first K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by khotmer, Oct 24, 2002.

1. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 79 k5 ....i take ownership on Sat......I have been reading these forums for like the last year as I have been fixing my 77 3/4 ton chevy pickup 4x4 up.....and i finly found a k5 so i bought it.......read my bio and tell me what you think..... I can't wait to get it......:)

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Congrats! Sounds like a pretty nice toy! But as I'm sure you know, the spending is just beginning... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

O yes ...... It has a poping sound a low speed from the rear end.....im thinking u joint, the locker....hard to say at this point till i take it apart....but i could'nt pass it by for 2800.00

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Congrats, and welcome to Bankruptcy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine (at least it has its moments) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

Lol yea Congrats, and welcome to Bankruptcy.
    I need to start a trustfond for save my blazer soon hehe
    Only wishd the f00ken pension was bigger then only 600 USD a month (.

6. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

Thanks, the only thing i could find wrong was the rear end pops at low speed, and it doesnt do it all the time.....
    I dont know if it is a u joint, or the rear end it self...it has a detroit in it and that could be the problem but the engine is just rebuilt, the t700 tranny is still shinny, and the body is GREAT....1 spot of rust on the pass side door column.....It also cam with a tone of extras ...10x15 " rims, engine parts, interior parts extra chrome bumpers, mirrors, the list goes on an on...Figure ill sell most of that stuff on ebay or here.....

7. HarryH3

A Detroit Locker will snap and bang from time to time. It's just the locker unlocking and relocking. Occasionally it will let go with a bang that will have you looking in the rearview mirror to either a) find out if someone just hit you or b) see if major driveline parts are in the road behind you. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It's all just part of the Detroit Locker experience. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Nice another 79' to add to the mafia!!! ... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Later Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

But will the locker let loose in a straight line al low speed? seemed like it was happening when slowing down....
    O and i need to adjust the ?tv cable to the thranny because it drops into gear kinda hard and hold the gear (1st to 2nd) kinda long....

10. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

Welcome to the club and the addiction!
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i noticed that with my dads 79 with a th350.. it seems to hold second or third or some gear in there really long..like ill go faster and faster and it will keep climibing and then finally it will go into the next gear..i dont even know how many speeds a 350 is 4 im guessing? but anyways welcome and the truck sounds awesome!!

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats.....my first K5 was a 79'!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Its good to see some more OHIOns, welcome!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Congrats, and welcome to Bankruptcy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well, he can acuse us of lying now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

A 350 has 3 speeds and if your tranny is holding the 2nd for a long time, it could be one of 2 things:
    Either you have a lead foot, and that raises the shift point a lot, or you have a bad governor vavlve or the vaccum modulator.

15. HarryH3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But will the locker let loose in a straight line al low speed?

[/ QUOTE ] It can do this if the tires on that axle are not worn to the same tread depth or if one tire has a few PSI more pressure in it than the other one. This makes the tires rotate at slightly different speeds and the locker will unlock occasionally to let the tire that's trying to roll faster slow down to match the other one.

Noises are hard to diagnose via text, but when you mentioned the locker, that was the first thing that came to mind. They take some getting used to. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifhaha, yup bankruptcy is the word. I bought my first K-5 2 months ago. it's an 88. I talked the guy down from 5K to 3300...it helped that i had cash and he was leaving town the next weekend without it. So far I have just over 6K in it......I'm glad I handle the finances around here, if my wife knew what I was spending, my newlywed status would be way over. and i bitch when she goes to the mall and spends a few hundred dollars on clothes.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Congrats on gettin a kool rig! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Bill

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya, first is right, in a long and very bumpy road ahead!
    Glad to hear you finally buckled under the pressure! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

well that makes sence ......one of the rear tires has a hole that needs patched and was only running on 30psi vs 45 the other had......thats cool.......just need to get the tranny adjusted /looked at and a new set of tires and im good....im thinking of downgrading from 38s to 35s as this is going to be a daily driver......

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Lets see some pictures !!!!!