Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bought the sawzall to shave the 14

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jan 1, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I just got my Dewalt Steve's review, but does anyone else have any other good tips before I start to hack-and-wack my housing?

Just want to make sure that I have all the info I need. What is the best blade to use? (TPI?) Cut fast, or cut slow?

Thanks guys and gals! [​IMG]

-Dan

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just got a sawzall myself...but when i posted a "what blades" question...a guy that uses one a lot and works at home depot recommended the Milwakee "Torch" type metal cutting blades. I have since used them to cut my exhaust pipe off, as well as some 1/4" steel, worked VERY well.

AFA fast or slow goes...I cranked the speed up high on my sawzall, and would cut about an inch...then stop to let the blade cool...then go back to it. Those Torch blades are great, like a hot knife/butter. =)

Good luck with the housing...I have one of my own that I am gonna shave...lemme know how it turns out, and post some pics when you get it done!! =)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

3. co.offroad

co.offroad Registered Member

about a month ago we cut up my buddies 73 blazer , but we used an air nibbler( from harbor frieght) along with the sawzall, you talk about a cutting machine those things are great!!! im trying to get the pixs up but its not working,bummer!! by the way i made half doors for that thing that are just awsume!!!! hinges still work and latch works!!!!

4. co.offroad

co.offroad Registered Member

just cut up my buddies 73 blazer , we used an air nibbler from harbor frieght along with the sawzall, it worked awsume!!! also made half doors that work with the original hinges and latch!!! ill get some pixs up soon !!!! alan

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've used the "Torch" blades too previously, but I had burnt two $3 blades on my long ubolts. Tried to cut them off a parts truck I had... but before even making it 1/4 through the first bolt, the blade died. [​IMG]

I bought two Dewalt blades that I am going to give a shot at trimming the housing. We'll see how they do. I will do my best to post pics, have to borrow the camera from work. [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have the correct tooth count for the blades is the most important. You can get metal blades in 14tpi, 18tpi and 24tpi that I can think of right now. For you 14 bolt shaving you want 14tpi. If you use 24tpi which is for thin metal like fender trimming they will wear out very quickly as they heat up too much. You rear is cast as well so it cuts somewhat slower in my experience. I shaved mine the other day and it does take some time. Also the lower the tooth count the slower you want to run the blade.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken